Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: I Grew This!: gardening surge here

Communities > Forums > Article: I Grew This!
bookmark
Forum: Article: I Grew This!Replies: 9, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5362360

We are seeing a surge of local growers and more fruit stands and farmer's markets. We have one at the end of a long parking lot in a park-like setting twice a week in our small town. It has grown enormously and the food is great. So are the jam, jellies, home crafts, and other saleable items.
I saw some puppies sold there the other week.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 3, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5363004

Great article, wonder if I could grow just one?
Aunt_A

August 4, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5364922

Good job; nice article! Thanks for sharing...now if I could figure out how to share that melon today. Yum!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2008
9:11 PM

Post #5368326

er, I guess I should have paid more attention to the title. I am growing a pupppy now, but not from seed.
Aunt_A

August 4, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5368709

woodspirit1...

Too funny! May I order a Golden mix; unusually small size? No taller than the knee? ROFL

April

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5369561

No, even this precious beagle is too rambunctions for me. I have nicknamed him Rambo. He is actually Smokey. I was looking for an inside smallish dog that was not yappy. But I forgot with the natural desire to hunt, that he would bark a lot and even bay. Owyoooooooooooo!
He is chewing everything in sight and stealing from neighbors, especially things they leave on their deck. I only let him out a coupld of times of the day but he takes off and gets in to all kinds of mischief.
I grew this! - cardinal flowers

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Aunt_A

August 5, 2008
3:46 AM

Post #5370072

Owyoooooooooooo! LOL

Those cardinal flowers are lovely. Wish I would have grown these and that beautiful, yummy watermelon in the pics.

Sounds like that doggie keeps you busy.

April

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2008
11:26 AM

Post #5370847

too busy. I make my husband keep him with him most of the time.
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

August 6, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #5374663

To All: I just wanted to apologize for the belated reply to your messages. Woodspirit, I am actually in your part of the country right now. I am attending a conference in Ashville and today is the first break I got. I am excited by the comments on this article.

Woodspirit, I too am SO encouraged and happy at the proliferation of Farmer's Markets. They are a blessing and I go out of my way to buy from them on the weekend. I will happily pay more for quality food items. Besides the tomatoes I eat from these vendors are unreal. Your puppy sounds like a handful. Good luck!

Sharon, THANK YOU! As mentioned above, I am in your part of the country now. I am at Lake Junaluska and am humbled by the beauty of the Smoky's and Blue Ridge Mountains. I have chatted to the shuttle drivers at length and we talked one day about the fancy houses on the mountain. He mentioned the conflict with the mountain people. I immediately thought of you my friend. I reckon you could grow more than one. I have your address. I will mail you some when I get your package off to you.

Aunt A, Thanking you kindly for the compliments. Well now, I have a few more nearly ready for picking. Come on down. We'll have a melon feast!

Wishing you all the very best of everything!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 8, 2008
8:48 AM

Post #5385106

I am on the other side of the Blue Ridge Parkway, near Brevard. Peaches are in now and it seems all I do is run to one of 2 produce stands. Darius shared her recipe for peach melba and if I ever get the time, I'm going to make a batch. It's the best peach jam I have ever had.
My daughter lives on a farm and she has a nice garden space. She shares a lot with us and we share raspberries with her.
Wish I could run into you while you're here. Wanna see the tallest waterfalls in the U.S? or the newest little museum? That's what we're about and (OH yes) white squirrels.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: I Grew This! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
looks yummy onewish1 4 Aug 3, 2008 11:40 PM
Benny, you are an insperation! newhobby 7 Aug 6, 2008 4:23 AM
WowJust beautiful beebonnet 4 Aug 27, 2011 4:51 PM
What a Melon! azrobin 2 Aug 6, 2008 4:28 AM
Excitement gardenwife 1 Aug 6, 2008 1:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America