Papalo, aka papaloquelite

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

I am starting to dream of next year's garden and am looking to round out my south of the border collection. If anyone has any seeds for papaloquelite, or will have, let's talk. It sounds interesting and papaloquelite is so fun to say.

Any suggestion for other less than common herbs from el sur would be welcom as well. Another that intrigues me is hoja santa.

Z

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Thank you MaVieRose (can I call you Ma? :-) ) I found some Papalo seeds to trade and will start my hunt for the hoja santa.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

u can call me mvr. u got d-mail

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Michael,
Quote from Richter's seeds------( (Papaloquelite) Fabulous new herb from Mexico. This is really a type of coriander, only stronger. Leaves possess huge oil glands which give papalo its potent flavour and scent. The flavour gets stronger the older the leaves get. Grows up to 2 m (8') high, but can be harvested at a much smaller stage when the flavour is milder. In Mexico, used fresh with soups and stews, grilled meats, beans and salads, much like cilantro. Papalo is not cooked, only used fresh or added at the last moment. If you are a cilantro aficionado, this is a must!)

Russell

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

z,

Hoja Santa (Root Beer Plant)--(Piper auritum) must be started from root divisions or layering--I think---
All of this can be confusing :(
I do know that it can be invasive and grows to 8 feet tall. It is a really pretty leaved plant as are all Pipers.

R

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.