Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Summer Blooms in the UMW # 2

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Getting to be a lot of posts on the old thread.

Daylilies in the back are all from Round Up plant swaps.

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks Bernie.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's one i took the other day.

Thumbnail by tcs1366
south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Lovely.. My only ones are on the video part of my Kodak camera ( I just discovered it-have had camera from 2005) Really need to hold it more steady. I was able to see the plants and would share, but don't want anyone else to get motion sickness!!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

That garden looks great, tcs!

Here's a shot of my south foundation garden from last week...

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

And a visiting giant swallowtail! (Some may have seen this in the butterfly gardening forum already.)

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Good shot of the swallowtail - I seem them, but not in my garden.

Late blooming hostas are opening now.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Sort of a fuller shot of the bed I have at my neighbors.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Bed of my waterlily dahlias

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Here is a funny missed shot of a swallowtail

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Wider shot of a bed

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Your gardens look great, Al! What's the tall stuff in the shot of the bed at your neighbor's, behind the sunflowers? Looks like mutant verbascum, but I'm guessing it isn't. :P

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks, those are hollyhocks.

Madison, WI

You guys have so many blooms! My garden is sort of done, except for one echinacea and rudbekia. I absolutely want to add different rudbekias now.

Al, what is that white blooming plant in "Wider shot of a bed" with flowers hitting the ground?
Could it take less sun?

Thumbnail by enya_34
Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

Al, wait...the ones at the very back, the tall bushy, cream colored ones? Those are hollyhocks? Wow...they're impressive. :D

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

The hollyhocks reseed there - they are 7-8' tall I would say.

Enya - that is a hydrangea "Little Lamb' - it needs a bit of training yet to improve it's habit. It wouldn't like much more than part shade. I don't have much flowering in the shade right now, hostas and waiting for the toad lilies.

Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

My Tiger Lilies are blooming.

Thumbnail by Jeannie63
Madison, WI

Fall is creeping in ...

This is a gorgeous Japanese enemone I got at the RU last year. This is the one that does really well for me. None of the ones that I bought bloomed for me.

Thumbnail by enya_34
Madison, WI

Goldern rod is a magnet for bees, I never thought it would be :)

Thumbnail by enya_34
Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Alright Kenya what did you do to get yours blooming already. Mine's got small buds but didn't bloom last year til the middle of September. How's you do that?

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Anemone looks good Enya, mine opened up last week.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Helenium are in full swing

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Got a candy lily in a trade this year.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Al, are the Helenium a perennial?

Maxine

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, they are long lived.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Al those are the orange red ones correct? I've been comtemplating adding some to my gardens only I have never seen them growing anywhere. They are really pretty if they are the ones I think they are. They will go on my list for next spring. FS and well drained? I presume?

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I have the heleniums, too. In my garden they like moist, well-drained soil, but haven't been very picky. I've read that they like a good bit of moisture, but mine haven't complained when my garden gets dry. This new plant has needed some staking (just one of those U-shaped green wire stakes to keep it from toppling over), but I'm guessing it might handle itself a little better next year. They seem to bloom quite a long time and they really are no fuss for me, at least so far. We'll see what next year brings. :)

They are pretty, though--little button-shaped daisy-like flowers in brick red. (At least this variety, which is 'Rubinzwerg' or 'Ruby Dwarf'.)

Thumbnail by KaylyRed
Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes very pretty. a definite for next years purchases. Thanx for the info.

Madison, WI

Al, that is a seriously packed Helenium spot :) They look terrific with all the color variations.

cececoogan, it's the first year I have J. amemone bloom for me. I've been buying and planing them
for the past 4 years now. It's the only plant that came back fuller than what I put in the year before.
It's flanked by two neighbours that were twice it's size last fall, but this year are not seen :(
I believe now that it's the root stock. I can't read the marker now, but whoever gave me the plant
last year has a winner plant. The color looks all washed of, but it's a tender pink just like Al's.
I absolutely in love with this plant as it blooms in my ever increasing shade :)

Menasha, WI(Zone 5a)

Cece - they range from yellow to red. They will take wetter conditions than echinacea which is why I like them - plus no pests. Full sun.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

No pests!!!! I'm sold!!!!!!! Thankx I like the bolder colors of yellows oranges reds dark purples. Mis them white can't go wrong.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

took this, this morning....

Thumbnail by tcs1366
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Good one tcs, here is one that I caught.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I like this guy!! hannging on my surprise lilies.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I just wish we had more butterflies here.... a lot more up north, but i dont have flowers to attract them, nor sun light to shoot in... i plan on taking up seeds next year... i have a perfect spot for wild flowers.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

He's a cutie ... i was actually out today looking to see if I have any mantids this year... so far nothing, but they usually do show them selves in Aug.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I like this Justa Hangin !!!

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

And this one upside down!!

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

they are curious creatures, aren't they??

Madison, WI

Cool insect pictures! I am yet to get one in focus ...

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.