Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: I Grew This!: Homegrown melons best!

Communities > Forums > Article: I Grew This!
bookmark
Forum: Article: I Grew This!Replies: 2, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rosewood513
Lanoka Harbor, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 4, 2008
11:52 AM

Post #5366139

I grow mine too, fantastic! They are indeed the sweetest and juiciest you ever can eat. Worth the trouble and the space.
My nephew came to visit when he was about 8, I went inside to cook and he wanted french fries, (before the no fat craze) As I started to cut the potatoes he asked what I was doing. I told him I was making his french fries, he said "that is not the way to make them" so curiously I asked how they were made. He said "my mom opens up a box" I felt so sad for him, I never opened up a box in my life. So lots of our kids are not getting it. Thanks fopr this lovely article amkes us realize how lucky we are.
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

August 6, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #5374699

Hi Rosewood, I thank you ever so kindly. I am so sorry for the belated reply. I am in North Carolina at the moment.

It does make you sad doesn't it? I am resolving to do something about it. I will volunteer anywhere I can to get kids excited about how to grow things and educate them about how things are made and where our food REALLY comes from.

We need to get back to where we were before. There was a day when everyone grew fruit and veg. At least now I can retain some optimism that there are people out there making the effort to get back to those days.

We are lucky and I thank you for your wonderful comments. Wishing you the very best!
rosewood513
Lanoka Harbor, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2008
11:18 AM

Post #5523596

I am not used to this site so I never read your reply til today, thanks.
In our Master Gardener program here in Jersey we have formed a program to educate the young ones to appreciate the joys of growing their favorites in the garden whatever they like, flowers, vegetables or fruit. We are getting good results. My own son was taught when he was old enough to hold a spoon for digging. He helped me plant, care for and harvest the crop. We then went in the house and cooked them up.
Now he and his wife have a small garden on their balcony, he hopes to buy a house some day and will have his own garden.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: I Grew This! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
looks yummy onewish1 4 Aug 3, 2008 11:40 PM
gardening surge here woodspirit1 9 Aug 8, 2008 8:48 AM
Benny, you are an insperation! newhobby 7 Aug 6, 2008 4:23 AM
WowJust beautiful beebonnet 4 Aug 27, 2011 4:51 PM
What a Melon! azrobin 2 Aug 6, 2008 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America