Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Kitchens: Kitchen exhaust fan, gas stove

Communities > Forums > Kitchens
bookmark
Forum: KitchensReplies: 3, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
EJUK
Littleton, CO

August 4, 2008
3:06 PM

Post #5366881

We presently have an electric range that has a microwave installed above it, which doesnot have an external venting system (outside). We are remodeling our kitchen with plans in the future to replace our electric range with a gas unit. At this time we would install the necessary gas line and would connect the microwave to an external venting system.

When the time comes to install the gas range what is the minimun distance allowed between the gas stove top and the bottom of the microwave?

We dont want to spend time and money on installation, ie gas line venting system, if they cannot be used in the future due to incorrect spacing between the gas range top and the microwave.

Thanks

EJUK

EJUK
jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5367269

Maximum recommended distance between vent and range is 30". If you want to raise it higher, then you get a bigger fan to compensate for the increased distance.

The real issue is depth. A microwave hood is generally inadequate because it can't draw off steam/odors from the front burners, which are placed beyond its reach. The more powerful your front burners, the more important it is to have sufficient ventilation power straight above them. THIS MEANS the range hood may hit you right in the forehood if you don't plan properly!

I emphasize this because vent hood design differs from model to model. Our previous exhaust fan worked very well, but every time my DH worked at the stove he cussed at it because whenever he bent forward to stir or taste something, he hit his forehead on the edge. It was fine for me, but 2" too low for him. So remember to plan for different heights.

Our new fan doesn't work as well - I can't recommend the lower priced Allure lines of Broan/Nutone, get Best by Broan or Kobe, VAH, FuturoFuturo, etc. - but the design curves upward in front, so at least my DH's forehead has no more bruises, LOL.
plantRN
(Beth) L'ville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2008
4:37 PM

Post #5367285

Had the same problem when I remodeled last year--opened up the kitchen and had the stove on an island. I didn't want to put a vent over the stove because it wouldn't be very attractive and would be in the way. Decided to go with a range with a vent in the cooktop and vented it out through the floor. Works great. Range is a bit more expensive but not if you factor in the cost of an overhead vent.
Bubba_MoCity
Missouri City, TX

November 14, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #5790683

Sorry I did not see this sooner.

Strongly recommend a downdraft vent. Most of the top name manufactures have them and they work great. Really cut down on even the splatter (but you do have to dissemble and wah the parts occasionally - we use the dishwasher whenever needed for that).

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Kitchens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
If you were replacing a countertop, what would you choose? LooneyLinda 198 Apr 30, 2014 6:14 PM
As requested on another thread, here's my kitchen re-do Connie_G 53 Jun 3, 2007 5:32 AM
anyone use Sears to reface cabinets? ssdogwood 15 Aug 3, 2007 10:21 PM
Our kitchen is done ! CountryGardens 24 Oct 13, 2007 3:12 PM
Stainless Steel Appliances - Any suggestions?? azrobin 18 Jun 3, 2010 3:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America