Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: I Grew This!: melon

Communities > Forums > Article: I Grew This!
bookmark
Forum: Article: I Grew This!Replies: 1, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MySisterDale
La Quinta, CA

August 4, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #5366916

Benny---nice job!!! was it sweet? i have watermelons and cantelopes growing in my garden now. i am growing the malawi variety of watermelon---it gets big but it isn't as sweet as i would like. i planted 4 other varieties but they were crowded out and seem to disappeared. i'd welcome any advice you have.

thanks
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

August 6, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5374681

Hi Themir,

I thank you kindly. I apologize for the belated reply. This watermelon was SO sweet and unbelievably juicy. The advice I will share is what I did to grow mine. I placed them in a bed with a ton of cow manure and another organic fertilize comprised of chicken manure among other things. I have read that the smaller melons tend to produce the best fruite and consequently perform better. There is a relatively short number of days to yeild so I believe I will always stick with them from here on out. Besides, this one small melon lasted us days!

If you want some seeds, Please do D-mail me and I will send some your way.

All the very best
Ben

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: I Grew This! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
looks yummy onewish1 4 Aug 3, 2008 11:40 PM
gardening surge here woodspirit1 9 Aug 8, 2008 8:48 AM
Benny, you are an insperation! newhobby 7 Aug 6, 2008 4:23 AM
WowJust beautiful beebonnet 4 Aug 27, 2011 4:51 PM
What a Melon! azrobin 2 Aug 6, 2008 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America