Photo by Melody

Herbs: Water, Water, Water, What's your favorite herb(s) to add?

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 19, Views: 100
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 4, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5368031

Staying hydrated is a Must for this time of year; its almost 90 here today.

Is there an herb that you add to your water to help get your 6 glasses down or whatever the new amount is these days?
I like to put a slice of lime in mine, but I'd like to try something herbal.

lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 4, 2008
8:55 PM

Post #5368271

lemon balm goes in my water
the grapefruit mint is also good
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2008
4:02 AM

Post #5370145

any mint... the ones I seem to drop in my glass most often are 'Kentucky Colonel' spearmint, chocolate peppermint, and ginger mint.

but now you've got me thinking... I wonder how water would be with a sprig of something clean/herbal like marjoram in it?
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

August 5, 2008
8:08 PM

Post #5373110

Rose-scented bee balm. Heavenly!
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2008
8:26 PM

Post #5373165

both sound good to me. or clean like bergamont?

Betty, since you mentioned bee balm, is lemon balm the same as lemon bee balm? and isnt bee balm the same thing as monarda?

those three are on my list and I don't know if its correct or not.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2008
9:30 PM

Post #5373411

I love bergamot in Earl Grey tea... How about a few borage blooms to get that taste? I've heard of people putting them into ice cubes, both for "pretty" and for a hint of flavor...

I didn't know bee balm (same as monarda, yes, don't know about lemon balm vs. lemon monarda) came in "rose"... having recently discovered rose petal thyme, I'm enthused about a rose-scented bee balm... sounds yummy!

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 5, 2008
9:39 PM

Post #5373460

Lemon Balm is good, I even crush a few leaves into each section of an ice cube tray for special drink flavoring ("bruise" the leaves B4 adding to the ice tray or glass & it will flavor stronger
roybird
Santa Fe, NM

August 5, 2008
9:59 PM

Post #5373540

I think lemon balm is a mintish plant. Not sure about lemon monarda. Lemon verbena is nice, too.
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

August 5, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5373936

Lemon balm is Melissa officinalis, sometimes just called balm. There is also a lime balm. Melissa officinalis 'lime'.
Bee balm is Monarda didyma is bergamot (but not the bergamot that flavors Earl Grey tea - that is a bitter orange that is known as bergamot)
Lemon bee balm is Monarda citriodora - a cousin to bee balm.
There is wild bergamot (Monarda fistulosa).
There is some debate on which monarda is Oswego tea, the plant used by Native Americans as a beverage tea, and used by colonists after the Boston Tea Party.

Rose-scented bee balm is a variety of Monarda didyma. I got mine from Richter's several years ago. The bees and butterflies and hummingbirds prefer this variety above the others I grow (Jakob Kline, Marshall's Delight, Blue Stocking and Raspberry Wine - and two unknown varieties).
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 5, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #5374077

Does the rose scented bee balm come true from seed, do you know? I can see I am going to have to come up with some serious attempts to tempt you into a trade next spring... I know I probably don't have much to offer in the way of herbs you don't already have, LOL... but I do make killer chocolate truffles... We'll figure it out via Dmail; I don't want to get the thread off track. :-)
BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2008
2:22 AM

Post #5374872

Yes Lemon Balm is "a mint" -- one way to tell is the square stems,...the mints all have them, along with some other plants that are "relatives" such as "bee Balm" --note that it is a balm...I find the square stem very interesting and a quick way for novice "identification"...at least it helped me when I was first learning all the different herbs and plants
Happy and fun gardening to all!!
--Birdie
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

August 6, 2008
12:17 PM

Post #5376005

critter, I don't believe the rose-scented comes true to seed. Don't know though! I also make killer chocolate truffles... Maybe we will have to have a "bake off". LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2008
1:53 PM

Post #5376353

LOL... OK, I got your Dmail... and I will find something else to tempt you with before next spring! :-)
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

August 6, 2008
2:52 PM

Post #5376671

100 + degrees here. Poor bunny is panting. What can I do. Rabbits are very susceptible to heat stroke so I ve got to do something.
O.K. frozen drink bottles, ice in the water dish, a fan, a slab of marble will help keep him cool.

And hydrating foods: carrots, broccoli, celery, anything dark green, and
especially mint and parsley. If I had known I would have planted more!

Now, Im not going to eat my 14 year old rabbit, besides I am vegetarian. But its good to know that mint and parsley and basil will help keep him going even at 100 + degrees.
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #5379496

Hey...Ladies, I could probably find it in my heart to be a judge in that bake off. Oh, and the lavender ones too =) any time, just let me know! ^_^

I think I gained weight just thinking about those truffles.

ps. thanks for clarifying the differences.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
5:06 AM

Post #5380167

Maybe there's a future in this "plants for truffles" notion after all, then... just not with Betty! :-) For her, I have to find something really exotic. She asked if I had any unicorn root. I accused her of pulling my leg. i should've known better. The more I learn from her, the larger my planned herb garden becomes!
nanniepb
Cumberland Mtns, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #5382336

I'd love to see pictures of both of your gardens. I'm a visual person so I tend to 'copy' more than making up my own designs. and since I know sooo little about so many herbs already, my herbs are getting mixed in my regular flower beds. which i like, however, you should see my list of 'wants'!

Almost every time I read these Herb threads...I learn about MORE new plants that I'm sure I'll need, LOL.

momherb
Tucson, AZ

August 7, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5383217

I put various kinds of mint leaves in my water. I swear they actually sweeten it. Yummy.

I have some photos of Herbalbetty's gardens! I was there just last week. My cousin has to e-mail the photos to me since I left the storage disk for my camera at home that day. Betty is a lovely host and a most talented gardener.

Momherb
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 7, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5383405

For medicinal benefits:

Catnip Nepeta cataria reduces nervous tension
Raspberry Leaf Rubis idaeus helps with cramps, tastes amazingly good.
Rosemary Rosmarinus officinalis used to treat depression and anxiety, also tastes quite good.
Sage any edible Salvia restores energy, helps with memory, can be used to prevent grey hair.

Raspberry Leaf and Rosemary make a wonderful tea, I mix it with a bit of instant tea and it's one of my favorite drinks. I prefer tea to water, if I drink water I add a little lemon or I drink seltzer water with a bit of 100% fruit juice.
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

August 8, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #5385267

Here's one corner of one of our gardens.

Thumbnail by herbalbetty
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America