-
AuthorContent
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 5, 2008
11:22 AM

Post #5370833

Can I propagate my hardy hibiscus by taking stem cuttings? Is so, when is the best time of year and where might I take the cutting?
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 5, 2008
3:47 PM

Post #5371935

I've got several colors of the Southern Belle series including one red one like at the top of the page. Also I have some Anne Arundels [pink cut leaf] and some op pinks that spread and multiply by seed. They are at their height now and slendid.
I had one tropical for a few years that bloomed some indoors, but one year I set it in the ground and did it ever grow and bloom!
kxm4274
Saint Louis, MO

August 12, 2008
2:39 AM

Post #5402165

I bought a beautiful red bloomer similar to the one at the top of the page. I left it in the pot I bought it in and enjoyed the blooms all summer. Since this is my first, I am curious as to how to care for it. Does it grow bigger if planted in the ground or is it better to leave it in a pot to be taken indoors when it gets cold? If you plant it, what do you do to it if anything when cold weather starts and does it come back the next spring? I recently moved it to a new location in my yard and some of the leaves started to turn yellow and fall off. What does this mean? Any advice you could give me would be appreciated. I love the big red blooms, and plan to buy another one next year.

krissi
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #5402248

It should be fine in the soil in the garden, I would start by planting it in a good safe place on the south side of the garden and you should be fine.
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #5405289

kxm,
As long as it is not a tropical, it will do well in the ground the year round...without mulch.
MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 13, 2008
2:06 PM

Post #5408128

Right - if it matches the first one in the article it will be hardy.
charliecs35

July 18, 2013
2:17 PM

Post #9603931

My hardy hibiscus has finished blooming and I was wondering how or what I should do to the plant to produce more blooms through out the summer. I live in the Dallas Texas area.

Thumbnail by charliecs35
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2013
6:17 PM

Post #9604213

charliecs35, You can prune the branch ends after blooming and in a warm long season climate, by feeding and watering well, it may bloom some more.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hibiscus Native, Hardy, and Tropical Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beautiful article Aunt_A 8 Aug 8, 2008 3:01 PM
Cajun hibiscus Darmananda 3 Oct 13, 2009 1:37 PM
hibiscus no flowers outdoors? purplemomma 0 Oct 26, 2009 11:18 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America