Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood Vegetable: A Way to Tolerate Okra?

Communities > Forums > Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood Vegetable
bookmark
Forum: Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood VegetableReplies: 7, Views: 168
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 5, 2008
1:33 PM

Post #5371283

Thanks, Mel... good article although I am one who hates okra slime. I saw a mention on the dehydrating foods thread that dried okra is a delicious crunchy snack, and with your reminder about the nutritional value, I may have to try it.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 5, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5372456

hmmm. okra lover here, I'd love to try dried okra someday. sounds interesting.
CCLLYYDDEE
Lanark Village, FL

August 11, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #5399100

What a great idea. Could be especially useful on a backpacking trip for crunchies and fiber. Have you tried the little pods raw?
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6945599

For several years I've been growing the red varieties and have found no mucilage in the pods at all. Maybe it's just the soil here - I don't know. The plants are pretty, too, with red stalks and pods. (The pods cook green, though.) I can't remember whether I've posted the recipe for okra fritters.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6945610

Fresh raw okra is delightful and I've added it to salads on many occasions.

As for the red okra having less slime, I grew Red Burgundy last year and noticed no difference in the slime production with that variety.

It may be the variety or the conditions, or a combination of both that diminished the ooze.

Dry okra is a good munchie. Especially the tiny pods no bigger than the end of your thumb.
abellest
Pittsboro, NC

August 19, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6964764

Okra can be roasted in the oven around 400-450 degrees; toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. All the flavor, no slime. I also found a recipe from India which dry cooks the okra in a hot pan with spices for a while and then a little yogurt until the slime is gone - very tasty!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6964821

Both of those suggestions are wonderful!

I'll be sure to try both.
ibdense
Greenville, CA
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
10:58 PM

Post #7868797

Even though I tolerate the slime, my favorite Okra is canned by a company called Trappey's. I enjoy it cold right from the can or drained and put into a mixed salad. Remember that Okra is Arco spelled backwards (sorta) and both Arco and Okra give me gas. (Not as funny when read as said.)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: In Defense Of Okra: Growing, Preparing, And Preserving A Misunderstood Vegetable Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Okra Lover Too! greenbrain 20 Jan 26, 2011 5:21 AM
Love okra, hate the slime gloria125 3 Jun 3, 2010 10:57 AM
northern okra Kathleen 1 Aug 5, 2008 4:40 PM
Love Okra MitchF 0 Aug 5, 2008 4:30 PM
Red Okra phicks 10 Aug 16, 2014 6:47 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America