Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: I Grew This!: Homegrown is the best

Communities > Forums > Article: I Grew This!
bookmark
Forum: Article: I Grew This!Replies: 1, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sharonpatricia
Wabamun, Alberta
Canada

August 5, 2008
10:46 PM

Post #5373670

Just wanted to say I enjoyed your article. I come from a long line of gardeners, parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and possibly more so I garden and all three of my sons garden. I am hoping when my grandchildren get homes of their own they will also garden. They have been exposed to growing vegetables and flowers.

Because of arthritis I am now converting to container and raised beds and so far my daughter-in-law and I have had three meals of our own swiss chard, onions are coming along good and our tomatoes are producing great. We also have carrots, peas, beans and beets but our cucumbers aren't very good. We do have a potato patch but the men have to look after that.

Have plans for much more next year when we hope to have more raised beds, 1/2 oak barrels and whatever we can plant in ready for spring. Would watermelon grow in oak barrels? Maybe we will try next spring to find out. Thanks for your article. Sharon
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

August 6, 2008
1:31 AM

Post #5374608

Hi Sharon!

I am so happy you enjoyed my article. I also find it inspiring at what you are growing. I believe that if your grandchildren were exposed to growing veg and flowers, they will most likely garden themselves. That's the beauty of what we do as gardeners, we do, we teach, we pass it on. It is a wonderful, never ending cycle.

I am not 100% sure watermelon would grow in Alberta. How many months of warm temperatures do you get? They would grow in oak barrels though. I can tell you that. They would like it a lot I think as the soil would retain moisture longer. I don't think you can water these plants enough.

If you would like seeds, please D-Mail me. These produced fruit rather quickly.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: I Grew This! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
looks yummy onewish1 4 Aug 3, 2008 11:40 PM
gardening surge here woodspirit1 9 Aug 8, 2008 8:48 AM
Benny, you are an insperation! newhobby 7 Aug 6, 2008 4:23 AM
WowJust beautiful beebonnet 4 Aug 27, 2011 4:51 PM
What a Melon! azrobin 2 Aug 6, 2008 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America