Had to happen sooner or later unfortunately:
http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8787739&nav=menu1362_2
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2008
3:17 AM

Post #5375120

Drat, I was hoping that the bug would stay away longer, we have several green ash trees around home and lots in town. I still remember Dutch elm disease, as the trees lining the road to the farm just kept dying off,,so sad.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2008
10:51 PM

Post #5448782

They have been putting up purplish triangle boxes to count them here. I don't know if any were found.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5458627

Darn! I love my big, beautiful Ash tree in my backyard.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
8:23 PM

Post #5479624

The big winds a few weeks ago tore ours apart. We had to cut it down. It was around 65 years old. I guess we won't have to worry.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #5479785

Ohh, what a shame. Sorry.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
9:07 PM

Post #5479804

Thanks. Losing a full sized tree IS a shame.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5479830

You can do preventative treatments with Merit in the fall, not 100% though - I will being doing one for work this fall along with the usual birches.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
9:15 PM

Post #5479840

I've seen what looks like hypodermic tubes in the trees where DH worked. I think they were pin oaks. They were put in at the base.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5479868

Could be for oak wilt or a micronutrient treatment. Not legal to leave those unattended btw.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #5479924

The trees looked healthy. I'm thinking micronutrient. They were unattended. I sat in the truck while DH stopped in to finish some work. I saw no one out and about.
Ticker
Lisbon, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #5498991

Al, how do you do your preventative treatment with Merit? Thanks.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5499466

I talked with my DSIL this past weekend who lives in Northern Illinois. She has 13 ash trees on her property and the ash borer is closing in fast on them. (10 miles away) They talked with someone who could come in to treat them. It would cost her $5,000.00 per year to treat! Ouch! She is going to let things take their course.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008
1:07 AM

Post #5500571

That sure sounds like a lot of money GL - they do have a 2 year version that they might be using?

Ticker - you can buy Merit at most garden supply like stores - it is injected ideally in the ground or drenched if had too - not sure what the consumer label says. Fall is the best time.
JuliaJayne
Appleton, WI

September 3, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #5500983

There are a lot of scam artists out there. Your DSIL should call the county extension office for advise.
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008
2:46 AM

Post #5501079

staceysmom - Where does your DSIL live (or nearby towns)? We have 6 Ash (2 are mature large ones) on our lot and 1 maple and many more on our lot next to this one. I've heard they're in the northern suburbs here, Chicago, and now the far west suburbs so they're spreading. I am just hoping and praying they avoid our area but I'm thinking it's almost inevitable. My poor shade gardens will then be full sun :(( Anything I buy now will have to tolerate sun I guess. On the upside, they've staved off the Asian Longhorn beetle around here. I certainly wish you all luck in Wisconsin that they can keep them at bay! I was talking to someone on the clematis forum. She says they have them there too and she's got many ash trees on her property too. They've decided on new trees to plant should theirs succumb plus keep many as totems with climbing vines.
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5502467

Yes, that sure does sound like a lot of money. I was telling her that I had read in the paper about the scam artists out there and like JuliaJayne said, to call the county extension. I'm not sure if it is the 2 year version. She said it was per year?
Medinac, she lives in Downers Grove. She was also concerned about her shade gardens. She loves and collects hosta. Good luck with your 6 trees. Oh, how I would hate to lose trees like that. Yes, you can plant other trees to replace them, but it takes so long for them to mature! But, it may come to that... what 'cha gonna do?! I have heard that one of the main ways it is being transported is by firewood. People are cutting up their infected ash trees and using them as firewood and transporting it to other areas.

chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5504347

Here is a link to the IL Dept. of Ag's page on EAB. At the bottom of the page, it says that there is treatment available but that there's no guarantee the trees will not become infested. (Chemical to treat is emamectin benzoate).

http://www.illinoiseab.com

Hope this helps. If you have ash trees that are providing shade on your property you may want to consider a proactive replacement program. Otherwise you can let nature take its course. But be aware, should your ash trees become infected you'll likely be required to remove them at your own cost.
medinac
Bensenville, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5504713

chatnoir - Thanks very much for the link. It was interesting and informative. It doesn't seem worth the money and trouble to treat them since the IL DAG can order them removed anyway. That is a boatload of money to treat them without a guarantee of it working! I suppose we can just wait and see and start planning for replacements. The Morton Arboretum has a good site for tree selection. I found it before when we were thinking of underplanting our Ash off the patio when our tree guy hacked off our major shade branch when trimming our tree. I was mad when that happened so I can't even imagine having total, complete full sun. And I was going to find some nice hostas - I don't think any of them can handle full sun.
enya_34
Madison, WI

September 8, 2008
5:16 AM

Post #5523298

Here in Madison they did a preemptive strike - just chopped most of them :(
chatnoir
Downers Grove, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5528686

Yeah. Many municipalities are taking or considering that approach. It's a financial decision. They can calculate fairly accurately how much per tree it costs to remove them. But the wildcard of having the tree succumb to the borer and then fall on a car or a tree is a risky budgetary move. And since it's tax dollars involved they figure it's better to spend less of them than more, I think. Course I wish that same logic was applied consistently! LOL!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America