UMW coffee break #37

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

This is a continuation from:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/842192/

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Good time to mention the 2008 Southern MN Round Up. September 5 & 6.
More information;
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/863305/
Bernie

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

"The falling leaves drift past my windows, the falling leaves all lacey brown. When I see the damage of the Japanese beetles, I just pulled the VA creeper down!"
ARGH.
Bug convention this year, JB, skeeters and every kind of ant -sweet, flying, black pinchy ones that take over a yard and (were) using the dining hall in the highbush cranberry being staffed by aphids. I would have left them alone, if they had done the same. But...Nooooooo
Glad to have some days to catch up on gardening. I have been having some help, but some things you have to do yourself!

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

We keep a coffee can ( I know, so classy) on the deck for our friends and family who smoke, and when I go out there and see those nasty Jap Beetles on my plants, I flick them into the can and watch them drown in the rain water residue. No guilt.

Downers Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

I keep plastic cups of dishwater tucked among the pots. I think it lends a certain cheerful casualness to the patio LOL!

Didn't get to see any blooms on my cannas this summer. JB's eat them over night before I get out there.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

when i was home last week for a few days... i noticed they munched my roses pretty good. I had a bottle of soap water handy and killed all that i could see for 2 days.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

We all must have been pretty busy this summer. No one has posted here since early August.

I could use some help...do any of you have family members who remember growing a Victory Garden during WWII? I'm doing a presentation next Spring, and would appreciate any stories or photos to use. I've found a couple of places online, but they want $25 per copy (photos); that would get really expensive.

Here's the 'Victory Garden' thread I started:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/914912/#new

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Forgot to add the photo of our 'attempt' at Four-Season Gardening....

Thumbnail by jasmerr
Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Are those tomato plants in there? Think it'll keep 'em warm enough?

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes, they are tomato plants. So far, so good, but it certainly won't keep them warm enough all winter. Right now we are just seeing how long we can extend the season. We are looking into some more Four-Season things.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

oh ... wouldn't it just be the best to have fresh tomato plants all season long?! I'd be in heaven.

Mine all putter out around mid-Sept. and they did not do well at all this year... i wonder if is was the rainy start, or just not hot enough. I have many green Romas though.

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

And I have them coming out of my ears. Canned over 50 qts. for our son and us and gave tons away, still have a table on the porch filled with ripe, semi ripe and green tomatoes.
wondering if I have to get the canner up and going again. Can't seem to let any thing go to waste.

Maxine

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I know the feeling, we're eating the greenies as they get ripe, got a bunch hanging upside down in the garage, and on a shelf. No matter how they ripen, they taste better than those awful genetically inferior tomatos from the supermarket.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Terese - I think it may have been the rain, too. I've heard lots of people say their tomatoes (and gardens in general) didn't do well this year.

We love fried green tomatoes! I made a batch of chili last week and threw in ripe and green tomatoes.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

one of my Roma plants ... i think it is my Napoli, has that "bottom rot" ... so most of them are garbage anyways.
i think the only one that still has red tomatoes is my Tiny Tim or is it Tiny Tom?? but they are tiny. Its a patio tomato.

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

almost all my Romas had that blossom end rot which was from too much rain followed by NO rain, and they were hardly worth sorting through to find a good one or two. BAH. Got nice whoppers though.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

All of those tomatoes sound so good. I have to go to the farmers market to get mine. We just don't have enough sun to grow them. I tried several years and then gave the space up to my flowers.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm with zen on tomatoes. I've tried so many times and just don't have enough sun. The best luck that I've had is with a huge pot at the end of my dock, and even that didn't do very well. Thank goodness for friends and family with too many tomatoes and the farmers markets.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Just in case you all haven't seen it there is a glove co-op going on right now: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/915248/#top

I have the Nitrile gloves and they are great!

These really are the best gloves I've ever used, and these co-op prices are amazing.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I will be the third to speak up. I love them and the price is truly amazing. I have ordered some of the Nitrile gloves for gifts.

I decided to try the thermal ones for my DH and myself. I figured that they would be good for early spring gardening when I just can't wait to get out there to work and of course my DH will need them to help me out.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Its been a few days. Everyone must be busy as he---. just wanted to say hi to everyone.

i managed to obtain some more lawn for another bed. Right in the middle of the back yard too. He's just resigned now that I'm gonna do what I'm gonna do. I some how manage to get my way one way or another.

Sixties here today with rain moving in and that winter white stuff for Saturday and Sunday. Yuck but that's the way it goes. Right?

Everyone have a great day.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm planting as fast as I can! LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH -- i've just been gathering seeds and cleaning them.... surprising how much time that can take... but i'm trying to get my Dining Room table back... it's covered with 'seed stuff' [buckets, bags, jars, you name it.... ] LOL the holidays are coming and we'll need a place to eat.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I heard that. Haven't started with collecting seeds yet. When I do though I suspect my DH will move me out to the garden shed PERMANETLY. LOL

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Just a reminder about the glove co-op it ends tonight at 10pm pst (midnight our time). This will be our last time to buy them in bulk on DG as co-ops are being closed for good.

Link to glove co-op: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/915248/

Prophetstown, IL(Zone 5a)

co-ops are being closed for good???

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Afraid so.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

there is a slight .... very slight chance that things may be worked out.

Dave said he would be willing to reconsider the decision if we could find a solution to those 2 problems.

there are 2 threads going in the Daves Forum ... 1) for working out the 'problems' with the Co-Ops and 2) possible alternatives.

I'm hoping for #1; personally.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks, Terese, I hadn't seen that.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yea -- i was kinda involved in those threads early on... but i have taken a step back.

i have never run a Co-Op, nor do i plan on it... so i'm no help there.

there is a lot of positive ideas coming out, and Dave, who did pop in this morning stated he will be back Monday.
So -- hoepfully al the collective heads put together can figure something out.

While i do enjoy the Co-Ops ... it's not the reason i hang out on Daves ... it's just a bonus.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

Quoting:
While i do enjoy the Co-Ops ... it's not the reason i hang out on Daves ... it's just a bonus.

Same here. I'm glad to hear they are trying to come up with ideas.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I have made a few purchases through co-ops, but I probably won't miss them and I have read about some big problems.

well, what a shame

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

We'll have to see what Dave says today.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Zen, [and others] yanno... i've read all sorts of things about nasty comments being made here throughout Daves, Co-Ops that have been really nasty with intimidating comments... i have NEVER, granted i've only been here less than 2 yrs,,, but never seen one nasty comment.

So i was really shocked when i first read that they may close it again... then low and behold, it was closed.

Since I slept late and i'm still on my first cup of Joe ... I'm not ready to wander into those threads yet...

But from what i've been reading throughout yesterday... there is positive head-way .... as Jody said.... We'll see what Dave has to say.... But in one of his comments, he said something to the effect, that he under estimated the passion felt for the Co-Ops.

So i do believe there is a very small beam of light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope everyone has a sunny day... i'm tired of the clouds.

Terese

I joined DG after the co-ops had been closed for the first time, so for me it has been an added perk and I've enjoyed (and yes over-spent) on many co-ops. I also like the fellowship that hosting a co-op has given me. I have seen some dreadful comments over the years in a few co-ops, but gratefully none in the past year or so. IMHO, if Dave felt the need to close down co-ops after trying it twice, I've got to give him the value of the doubt. I'll miss them, but it's not the end of the world. I'm already thinking about an alternative to a Foxfire co-op in the Spring. I haven't come up with anything yet, but I'm sure that there must be options.

thanks for the heads-up...I had a wonderful experience with Gemini Sage's lily co-op last Spring and was hoping to participate again...fingers crossed

Catherine

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow,
I haven't been on lately and am really surprised to find out that co-ops will no longer be. I sure hope things get worked out for the best.

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5b)

The co-ops have been temporarily reopened, and there is lots of discussion on the Dave's Garden forum of how to fix the problems. I hope they stay open, I've been in 2 co-ops and they went extremely well.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/922826/#new

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.