Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat?: informative article

Communities > Forums > Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat?
bookmark
Forum: Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat?Replies: 8, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 6, 2008
12:42 PM

Post #5376094

Thanks, Sally, for your enjoyable article. I appreciate all the time and effort put into it.
When I got married 35 yrs ago, my brother brought a prickly pear to my mom from OK. to NJ. zone 6. When mom moved in with us we dug up what we could and moved it to south jersey (z7) where it is doing well. She likes to go out and count the flowers. My poor nephew didn't have enough protection and he was amazed at the prickles. lol
truest
Johnson City, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 6, 2008
3:14 PM

Post #5376774

The fruits of the prickly pear are also great to eat-
though it has many seeds. They are great treats. I have
watched a recipe made for a cooling summer treat,
a glace', and it looked yummy.
I really enjoyed the article, and with our 100* heat
in south Texas this year, I can vouch for All of the
flowers in the article- they really do thrive!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5377330

Thanks for taking me to south Texas with you, Sally! That was a wonderful read, and I loved your photos!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 6, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #5377365

Oh, how I loved San Antonio when I was there courtesy of the U.S. Army, at Ft. Sam Houston. I wish I could go back now that I have been enlightened by DG and this article!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 6, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5377715

Super article! I'd like to add two more to the list. These bloom with reckless abandon at my house regardless of the heat - Texas ranger (Leucophyllum frutescens) and lantana.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Click the image for an enlarged view.

alimech
Mart, TX

August 6, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5378648

Great article! I spent about 30 years in the San Antonio area (all 3 children born there)but u am now in Central Texas, near Waco. Just as hot (the bank thermometer 3 blocks from my house registered 109 last Sunday!) I have several of the plants you mentioned, including a beautiful Esparanza! and a lantana.
One thing about prickly pear...they have a beautiful flowers, the young leaves are good for food, and the fruit makes a wonderful, clear red jelly. In fact, I won a blue ribbon at the county fair for my prickly pear jelly...but that was many, many years ago.

I enjoyed your tour, it brought back many fond memories. Thank you.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 7, 2008
11:34 AM

Post #5380602

Thank you all for your great feedback and for adding more flower ideas!!
It was fun to read up on these things that I've never grown. (except one- the prickly pear, but I still read about that because I just planted it without any detailed info) If I can add one of these plants to my yard or house, it will always remind me of San Antonio.

Elphaba

Elphaba
Rockport, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6788657

Great article. I've been watching what's been blooming in this month of 100+ weather with no rain -- until today whoohoo! The Mexican Petunias (white, blue and pink) seem to love it. The pentas are gorgeous. The surprise for me though is a crinum called Ellen Bosanquet. She's sending up her fourth bloom stalk right now. She's sent one up every month for the last four months. It's a joy to have a big colorful bulb flower in the middle of all this heat and drought.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 7, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6788720

Elphaba~ thanks for more bloom information. I just bought my first penras this week, I have been seeing it in commercial landscapes, like in Atlanta Georgia, another "warm" place. Glad you enjoyed the article!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: What Can Bloom in this Heat? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
good phicks 4 Aug 11, 2008 9:45 PM
Great... Sharran 4 Jul 9, 2009 1:13 AM
More Heat loving San Antonio plants wesley4 5 Jul 1, 2010 1:05 PM
Yellow Bells Sue78597 8 Aug 12, 2014 6:32 AM
planting esperanza tgrammy 3 Aug 19, 2014 5:43 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America