Photo by Melody

Herbs: Seed-Pod from Unknown Herbaceous Plant, identity, please?

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 8, Views: 77
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
thethorinator
Clinton, MA
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2008
11:57 PM

Post #5378784

Hi folks,
I am attaching two photos for this question, one of which is a basic, whole stem picture of a group of seed pods on what was some kind of flower that was in a community herb garden. The foliage looked like a very small 'mum but the seed pods and their stem-type didn't appear like any typical herb or fragrant flower of which I am aware. Can anyone identify it as, if it happens to be from a butterfly and bee-friendly flower, I would love to insert it along the fence of our "hunger garden" to attract our pollinating friends for the fruits and veggies? Thanks, this is the larger of the two and I will post the smaller/close-up one below it.

Sincerely,
Thor

Thumbnail by thethorinator
Click the image for an enlarged view.

thethorinator
Clinton, MA
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5378816

Here is the promised close-up of the above seed-pod! If anyone can assist me in identifying the plant that it originated from, I would be most grateful!

Sincerely,
Thor

Thumbnail by thethorinator

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5379013

Was the plant at all vining in appearance? Those sure look like some sort of pea or bean pods to me... you might try splitting one open to see what the seed inside looks like. That looks so familiar... oh, shoot, what's that plant with the weird purple seed with the white stripy bit going along its top edge? usually blooms purple, but I think there's a pink form also...

At any rate, I'd guess that yes, it's going to have blooms attractive to bees/butterflies, whether it turns out to be a runner bean, the plant I can't quite remember above but will probably think of at 2 am, or something else!
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

August 8, 2008
1:05 AM

Post #5383835

hi, thor. looks like "bataw" (what we call this bean in the philippines). or http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/890/...

it's quite yummy.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5384106

Yes! Why I could not remember hyacinth bean or lablab, I don't know... at any rate, there's a photo in that PF entry that shows the white part of the seed that I was talking about: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/14970/

Split a pod open and see if that's what the seeds inside look like -- if that's the plant, the seeds are quite unmistakable.
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

August 8, 2008
11:24 AM

Post #5385263

It might be lupine seeds. Were the seed pods on a more upright stalk with pods on either side? Are the seeds black? Do you have any leaves at all? That would help the ID.
thethorinator
Clinton, MA
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2008
11:30 PM

Post #5388064

Yes, the stalks were upright and heavy with about 20 light to medium brown seeds in each "pod" with about 8 pods per stem, and...looking at Lupine foilage, I'm willing to bet that you are right Betty and you win the prize for identification, if what I said above matches your experience with Lupine. The folks at the Plant ID forum said it was False Indigo, but the foilage was not viney at all; in fact, the foilage looked like it had been cut back or faded back to near ground-level. So, does what I said ring true? The have pods almost like giant/fat pea pods but were definately STRAIGHT UPRIGHT from the foilage which was close to the ground.

Sincerely,
Thor
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

August 9, 2008
3:40 AM

Post #5389104

Lupines are cool =).

Thumbnail by Moonglow

thethorinator
Clinton, MA
(Zone 5a)

August 13, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #5408886

Thank you...your ID is right on, as I looked up the standard Lupines and found pics of the seed-pods so I got my answer! YAY! I have Lupines.

Thor

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America