Building the logs part 7

none of ur business, OK(Zone 5b)

Here is the new thread
I must say that i have yet to learn to write all my stuff down. The colors and choices that i have made for the interior. Sheesh when will i learn.
So the flooring is what i think i choose. I remember Country Tan but forgot the wood. I think maple i choose . i know i didn't want oak. It looked to 70 's looking for me
Love the color of the stain outside !!! it is Gorgeous IMHO :) it really blends in with the woods and the roof.
I think my biggest worry is the inside won't match or look right. Even with the samples, its just hard for me to visualize it ? so we hope for the best
We did finely get our electric in today yeah on that . We can finely get a well going and get it tested . The electric guys really were screwing around with us. But as long as its done i m ok, LOL
so this coming weekend i will be purchasing our appliances. Yeah on that . i have already picked them out.
So excited about a double oven !!

Thumbnail by taynors

flooring

Thumbnail by taynors

more flooring

Thumbnail by taynors

side view

Thumbnail by taynors

front door with plastic on it

Thumbnail by taynors

left side of front porch
this side gives the best color in the pics i took
The other side pic is upside down lolol so i won't post that one

Thumbnail by taynors

one more i promise

Thumbnail by taynors
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Absolutely lovely, Sue. I'm glad it is finally moving along and you can actually start thinking about moving in. Who will install the appliances? I know some stores/compaines advertise that they install free. Or will the electricians do this too at the 'when we get around to it' speed of the past? I know they were doing a lot of this because your DH isn't there so they can push you around and make themselves feel tough and macho. And look like real jerks. I would be sure to let everyone in community the way they treated you. Make them earn back what little respect there will be for them in the future.

ya'll come back now ya hear
sue

Thanks Leaf
yes i have no idea why, but i m sure your right with the men . Go figure they are acting like girls LOL
yes its only a matter of weeks and not months . I hope. They are telling us Sept which is right around the corner. Wow where has the days gone this summer. didn't it just start ? and its almost over :( but i m looking forward to fall and winter in a new home !!!!!! and not a little apt !! oh that will feel so good i can't tell you how much.
ttyl
sue

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh gosh Sue that is just beautiful. Yea to weeks now. As much as I hate moving I would be looking forward to this one. I hate living in an Apt. worse.

apt living is a whole different sub culture LOL
I lived in apt all my life 20 yrs until i meet my DH. I never understood it until i became a homeowner. I look back and think " its a whole different culture ? " IMHO. Nothing wrong with it but between the two apt people tend to keep to themselves and house peaple are more social with eachother But then our new neighbors at our house don't know any of the neighbors ! and they have been their 5 yrs ! how sad is that . I know over half the people already LOL of course our neighborhood is only about 14 houses LOLOL
I can't wait for NO CARPETS !!!!
thanks luvs2 for your kind words

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Sue, I've lived in this house over 30 years and 9 years at the other one just a mile up the road and I only really knew 2 familes from the first house and maybe 2 families at this one. And now the people in the community have changed and I don't really know anyone that well. I tend to keep to myself, the people at my church who I really don't know that well either, and my job where I'm finding I am acquainted with some of the people thru our pasts but not doing very well at making new acquaintances. So many volunteers down there I have trouble keeping up with who is who and when they come in. some are there nearly everyday so I sort of am getting to know them. Those of you on DG know me better than anyone else in the world. Including my family. It has to do with frequency of contact I think. I don't have time to go visiting or for people to come see me that much really unless they want to yarden with me. There just isn't enough time or me to go around any more.

I need to get going. Don't have hot water because the pilot light has gone out on the heater. I'm afraid of the thing so I'll do without until Kyle comes home unless I get real gutsy and give it a try. You really can see where you need to poke the lighting insturment which has to be longer than a match. It is usually a rolled up piece of paper. I did turn the heater down as low as it will go so it won't be calling for a fire as much. I couldn't find a way to turn the gas off. I could only get it to go to pilot and on.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Oh goodness Leaf hope you will be ok. That is the reason I am total electric. I could not light the thing either. I have a sis in law that had one blow up on her with 4 kids in the house. Started a bad fire. Sorry dont mean to alarm ya. Only neighbor that I really have is my mom and my brother. Now mom knows most of her neighbors across her way, but heck she has been here about 35 years.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

This is exactly why I NEVER EVER want a total anything house. I do not want all my eggs in one basket, electric or LP/Natural gas/wood, etc. I want some major appliances on one and some on another.

Praise the LORD, I did get up nerve to go try it and I should have really hot water in about an hour. That 1 minute you have to hold the button down in the pilot position is one of the longest minutes in time. lol.

House work is coming along slowly. I just am having a slow day. Since I didn't rest much on Tuesday this needed to be a rest day. But that is not to be so I'm just muddling thru it. As long as I have the beds ready to be slept in before I leave in the morning I'll be ok. I need to empty those 2 sets of cabinets too so Brenda and Faith can put down the new contact paper. My hands are just too shakey for something that tedious. I hate wrinkles and ridges in contact paper.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Leaf i m glad you got the pilot lit , yeah for you :)
I m a chicken with that . I never did light our fireplace due to that . We had a propane fireplace. Never did use it .
Yes Leaf . I can certainly understand not having enough to go around of yourself sometimes it seems to get overwhelming for me . I am not a very social person but building this house i have meet several of the familys. I don't always have time to visit. I m a home body and keep to myself, My kids need the socializing more than i do . LOL
Leaf good luck on the contact paper, i agree i hate them wrinkles in it , drives me crazy
Well we did try and get some tree's out from the back of the house. But one tree got stuck and we couldn't pull it with the tractor . The fumes from the motor really are hard on my FIL . But he sure is a trooper. So saturday we will get the chain saw and cut some tree's and then drag them out . They are in the way of the geothermal unit . We need to move them.
They will be doing the stonework for the fireplace and i m excited about that yeah.
will t ry and get pics of it
blessings to you all
sue

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

It surely is beautiful Sue, and I wish for long and happy years there for you and your family, with good but not nosy neighbors :) I love the colors you have picked out!

Leaf, sure glad that pilot light lighting went well. Heck, I'm scared of my pressure cooker...LOL! I've just recently learned to light Coleman lanterns without being totally a nervous wreck. I just don't like things that have the potential to blow up :D

Leaf, I am glad it worked out for ya. I know what ya mean on not being total electric, but it would cost me a small fortune to have propane put in here. It is just not an option for that reason and the other that I am afraid of lighting the pilot. With my hubby working out of state during the winter.

Sue good luck on removing that tree. I have lived that one. We hired a dozer a year ago to do that for us. It was well worth the money.

Hineni LOL to funny on the pressure cooker and things blowing up LOL your so funny . :)
I m a bit disturbed on the tree thing. The builder should have moved them out when THEY broke them down when excavating. But i m sure communication was the culpurit again. sheesh. They area is so rutted up with old tractor marks its hard to get back their. IF we can't get much done then they will have to do it . No additional cost . They are a bit sloopy in there clean up i must admit.
FIl says you always clean up your ruts and smooth them down when finished in an area. so water doesn't build up in them and someone falls.
how are them pups Hineni ?
blessings
sue

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Sue!! I LOVE the new stain color...Ya dun gud on that one!!!
I can't wait to see the stone work...When do they start?? YAYYY on the Electric!!!
First question....When are the appliances being delivered??? You DO know that with a custom built kitchen, that they need to BE THERE when they do the base cabinets so there is NO margin for error!!! and don't let them snow you on that one...You INSIST they be delivered prior to installing the base cabinets...Did you pick out your sink yet?? Faucet???
I'm gonna keep on ya to remind you...

You should have told me you needed those logs moved... I would have come and helped you do it...You KNOW I can run a chain saw...and drive anything with wheels...My cousin owned Carolina Timber, so I know a thing or Three about moving logs/trees...

You need to get on that builder and have him grade down that yard before he leaves...Grade it into the slope for the back driveway...We can get RR ties to shore it up on the bottom...and then get ground cover to hold it down...Winter rye grass will stop erosion this year...When is T coming home next??
Does Dave know where to get granite dust??? Ask him about rehabbed concrete too..I saw a place the other day, but I've been all over kingdom come this week and can't remember where it was right now, but you can get that dirt cheap for the base, and then rock over later after its mashed in good...

I need to get over there and fix that water drain mess on the drive...I KNOW how to do it so it won't wash out again...We gotta get that done before winter and the ground gets too hard...We also need to hook a chain to the log jam in the creek and get that pulled away...Thats major....
You are going to worry me to death this winter if we don't get that drive fixed right so you and those kiddos can get out of there...

I just got finished snapping the ends on my whole green beans and blanched them for the freezer...I blanched em in sea salt and granulated garlic water...Got em cooling off now in ice water before I drain em and bag em up...I got another batch at the Farmers Market this morning on my way down the hill...I hope I'm off next Sat, so I can get one more batch...If I do have have to work, would you mind getting another $10 worth for me if he still has some??? That should give me all I need for the winter...If I had an outside freezer, I would get more, but that will be all I have room to store with the sweet corn I have in the fridge freezer now...Once this batch is solidly frozen, I'm going to rearrange the freezer and get everything into the bins on the bottom, so I can keep the smaller things above like my peas and limas that DH won't eat...Only way he will eat a pea is if I sneak it in to my Beef stew...LOL

Okay.. I'm making BLT's for supper with Chicken and wild rice soup...Gotta go get that together and feed the DH...His stomach thinks his throats been slit...

Hugggggs Sue!!!!
Holler at me.. you know where to find me...LOL

Ok Good to know on that stuff. We do have the specs on the size of the appliances. But yes it would be better to have them there before the do the cabinets.
I was wondering where you was at . ? :)
You should dmail me your ph #
did Jim tell you i came by and got more jars . Let me know when you want to get it all done. I will help you clean all that up.
I did get to use the chain saw and i did get it stuck !!!! LOL used a chisel to get it out. Then i did it again. FIl told me some funny stories of some guys he know's and chain saws yikes.
We did get most of it done. Builder will do the rest . We just wanted to get it done .
Ok good to know on the driveway wash yes we got lots to do this fall before winter kicks into high gear. . FIL did do some grading around it . But i think it needs more work ? we shall see . :)
got alot of dump stuff to get this fall and a big dumpster.
T comes home in 14 days Yes i m counting the days !!! I need me some SUGAR . LOL :)
Did i tell you he is going to S.Korea ? yep .
Never heard of blanching the way you do. sounds good with garlic yummers.
We will hook up soon. Canning tomorrow at FIL . Watching olymipics tonight.
((((((hugs))))))) to you too
blessings
sue

Caneyville, KY(Zone 6b)

Sue, sounds like you are just moving right along with all the new house stuff. That sure is a lot on your shoulders, though!

I take it T is your DH? What kind of work does he do that he travels so much and is this an all the time thing? If you don't mind me asking.

No i don't mind msrobin. Yes T is my DH :)
He operates heavy machinery and builds golf courses. Archetects hire him to move dirt and make it look pretty . :)
unfortunalty with the market being so bad here in the states , he got a chance for china and we both decided it would be better than him sitting for a year . He gets grumpy when he doesnt work LOl
We hope to only do this maybe 3 more yrs. He really wants to do something else for work so he can be home.
We did travel iwth him for a year once. We took all three kids and hit the road in a trailer . Adventure to say the least . lololol :)
blessings
sue

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Good Morning...
If you didn't get all of those jars, get yer hinnie over here on yer way to FIL and get the rest of them!!! LOL
I'm going to get this mess outside cleaned up today...Yesterday was another shot day having to go down the hill...so I will be here all day...
I need to talk to you about your little trailer anyway...

ok
i m heading out but can't stop by until in the afternoon. i got your bins to give back to you .
i will call you

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Sue I love the wide floorboards! Your house is absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks saanansandy
i have pics will post them tonight i hope. kinda pooped
i have a lette that is not woking on my comp can you tell which one it is
abbit ?
un
onald
obin
ight
LOL
take cae
sue

well i do apologize for the laps in this thread.
We have been busy !!
Kids started kindergarten
DH is here on a visit and we are trying to get his visa renewed , not an easy task ! uhg
I have had some health issues, nothing serious i hope ? they just arnt sure yet . But we are keeping it in Gods hands. :)
Been a busy time at the farm too. with the garden and no rain , watering has been a challenge. I am pulling it out as the time allows. no reason to keep it this late . I have plenty of green tomatos to make relish LOL
Kids are enjoying school and Dh is enjoying his visit so am i :)
As you can see i did get my R fixed !!! yeah
chimmney at the loong angle , i have no idea how to get it the right way ? sorry

Thumbnail by taynors

well i tried to do some more pics but just isn't working hmmm

Thumbnail by taynors

yeah it worked
here is the geothermal

Thumbnail by taynors

here is the link to the websight
password is savannah rose
username is taynormom
i think ?
http://web.mac.com/taynors/iWeb/Raising%20of%20the%20Logs/Raising%20of%20the%20Logs.html
blessings to you all
The taynor family :)

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Sure hope you get to feeling better Sue and that it is nothing serious, and glad you are having time with your DH :) House continues to look beautiful and is coming along nicely!

wow it really is coming along now. How much longer. Glad you are getting to visit with hubby.

They are telling us the end of Sept . We originally thought end of Aug but it just won't happen. THe carpenter is working his tushy off for us to get it done. HE is GREAT a really nice man , he works with his son. A great kid. :)
Im going to bring them a homemade pie tomorrow .
We are having trouble iwth my DH and his visa back to china. Ugh. Long story, but in a nutshell , he applied for a tourist visa for a temp stay in china ( he needs to go back for seven days and his work visa expires in 3 days ) when he got back, but they called and said it won't be here until Sat ! well he leaves on sat , why didn't they tell us this on monday when we told them we needed it on friday ? uhg. This is a speed service visa company ? that says they can get you a quick temp tourist visa. We had to mail them his work visa to the company that is doing this , No visa, no china, no job . He can't get on the plan, no refund on the plan ticket too.
but things are going good for us in general just a bit of a snare right now.
Thanks for the well wishes on my health. Havn't heard back from dr but still have to go and do some tests. Blah .
I have more pics but its in the car outside and am just to pooped to go get them LOL
take care
blessings
sue

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Hope you feel better soon. Sorry to hear about all the red tape. got to kick some bureaucratic butt!

were waiting on the visa today and we shall see .
aint red tape fun NOT lololol :)

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Hi Sue
How did y'all make out?

we got the visa . what a load of our minds
DH flew out on sat moring early at 3 am
the cabnets are in and we are 1 " short on the fridge so the cabnets on top won't open, but that is ok since we are planning on a new fridge in a few years. I never really put anything in them drawers anyhow.
Well will try and get more pics in tonight.
sue

Verona, ON

What an exciting time Sue for you and your family! I have been faithfully lurking and watching the stages of the house being built.
I too spent almost 80% of the time being "The Boss" of our present house building and had to work hard not to be thought of as "The Little Lady". In the end I think the workers all thought of me as" Mrs. B.." but I wasn't going to let them take advantage of me.The good workers got rewarded with homemade cookies and cakes and that really helped increase the level of speed some were working at.
Take my hat off to you Sue you have done so much - with the house. living in a small aptment with kids, and you still manage to smile.
I'll tell you a quick story about 1 of my closest neighbour. We own 265 a so noone is in my backyard and we are over 1 mi in from the paved township road. Anyway this couple kept talking about their log cabin home and they had been buying and saving logs from the Eastern Townships and the northern part of Quebec. Many $$$'s spent just doing that - house is almost 6000sq ft - certainlly not the bungalow they told us they were building when they bought the land from us. Anyway after alot of road widening the logs arrived on the house site and up it went. Well once the inside was done the lady of the manor came for her first visit. Now are you sitting down and holding your hat? It was too dark for her and she wanted it all drywalled and she got her wish. The contractor blew in insulation and then slapped up dryway. I could have cried when I saw it.
Probably misssed this but are you having a generator panel box put in with your electrical power? It has been a blessing to us as power outages occur often around where I live. After living through the Ice Storm, of 98 I swore I would never be without a generator again.
Your FIL sounds like a real sweetie and it truly sounds like you enjoy each other's company.
You're doing a great job - move in date cannot be too far away. The kids will be estatic I am sure and you I bet will be over the moon.
Hope you are feeling better soon.
Dianne

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Were your cabinets custom built or out of a box ?
If custom built, there is no excuse for the fridge not fitting.

I was just looking at a map yesterday. I would like to stop by when I go to Kentucky RU, but it is just to far.

Glad your hubby got off when he needed to, must be a real headache with all the red tape.

Have a great day !
Bernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images