Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce: Can't wait to try it!

Communities > Forums > Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce
bookmark
Forum: Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato SauceReplies: 24, Views: 163
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2008
12:10 PM

Post #5380704

This sounds like a great recipe. It may be the sauce i've been trying to duplicate for years now. One question, about the food mill. I don't have a clue what it is, I normally pull the skins off by hand after blanching. I have tons of grape/cherry tomatoes, could they go in too? Thanks Jill, I can't wait to try this.
angele

August 7, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #5380862

I'm going to be hungry all day & it is YOUR fault Critter! Thanks for passing this recipe along. Your photos look good enough to eat :-)
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5380993

I second angele!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5381015

Grape and cherry tomatoes can definitely go in, although they tend to be pretty juicy and will take a while to cook down.

I guess that photo of the food mill in use didn't really do much to show you just what it is... there's a perforated screen at the bottom and an angled rotating blade (turned by the crank) that pushes food down through the screen into a pot or bowl. Skins and seeds don't go through the screen, so what ends up in the bowl is a nice sauce.

Foley is one well known maker of stainless steel foodmills, but there are many out there. Here's a photo on the Wikipedia entry for "food mill" : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_mill

Angele, if the photos make you hungry, wait until you smell this sauce roasting in the oven...

CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2008
1:47 PM

Post #5381028

Thanks for the great article and recipe. Just in time--my Mortgage Lifter maters are just beginning to ripen! My question relates to Davis's above: Can I use any type of tomatoes in this recipe, or are paste-types better?

Thumbnail by CapeCodGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #5381046

Any type of tomato will work. Juicier tomatoes will just take longer to cook down and end up making a little less sauce in the end than "meatier" tomatoes. I like to use a blend of different types of tomatoes if possible in any kind of sauce for a full, balanced flavor.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

August 7, 2008
2:30 PM

Post #5381200

This sounds too wonderful for words and I can't wait to try it. I am growing black paste tomatoes and my Gardeners Delight cherry tomatoes always produce tons. I will use the attachment on my Kitchenaide mixer to seperate the skins and seeds. I think that will work.
Thanks, Critter for your article/recipe.
betra
Nashville, TN

August 7, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #5381490

Neither I.

Will definitely make this one. Maybe I should stop giving away my tomato to neighbors. So far I never keep extra tomato at kitchen. Only harvest it if I need one and the rest ripen tomato goes to neighbor's kitchen.:)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
3:43 PM

Post #5381562

:-) I was canning my extra tomatoes even before I learned this recipe, but this is the one that pretty much put an end to giving away more than a couple of tomatoes here & there! I'll almost always give a neighbor a tomato or two for a salad or a sandwich, but I don't give them by the bagful... I worked too hard at growing them, and I know we'll eat them all winter!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5382054

Jill, I don't have a food mill, though I suppose I can go get one. But I do have a Vitamix, which could liquefy nails. Do you suppose I could get away with using that for a bit? I'm especially wondering about the benefits of keeping the blackened parts of the tomato with the sauce.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #5382072

I don't know... I'd suggest running just a small part through, then taste and see what you think. It cooks down so much that there's a bigger ratio of skin & seed in this sauce than in many sauces, so I'm not sure if you'd end up with a bitter note in the sauce if you just pulverized it -- maybe, maybe not.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 7, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #5382104

[quote]I will use the attachment on my Kitchenaide mixer to seperate the skins and seeds.[/quote]
Beebonnet, I have a Kitchenaid; what's the attachment called that you are referring to?
Thanks!
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5382145

oh, same here. will start digging thru drawers.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #5382173

I'm also trying to figure out how to get a chunkier sauce. Cook up some chopped ingredients separately?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
5:51 PM

Post #5382200

Summer, that's what I did to make a "roasted salsa sauce"... roasted and milled the base, then added additional chopped tomato, pepper, onion, chiles, etc.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5382248

raw?
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 7, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5382270

One other question: Even though the original recipe doesn't list sweet peppers, it appears that you add those to your "quantity" sauce?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5383254

I simmered the salsa sauce a little to be sure I liked the flavors.. I think I added a little lime, too.

Yes, I add sweet peppers.. more peppers if I'm making pizza sauce. :-)
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #5395564

OK, I made a massive batch of this last night that took 5 hours to cook down, then I put the whole charred mess through the Vitamix, skins & all.

It's perfect -- we're eating it right out of the blender with big spoons! So for those of you without food mills but with good blenders, I'd experiment with that.

The best part is that, with the exception of the oil & onions, it was all from my garden. And since I'd forgotten to pick oregano before taking the whole turkey pan full of stuff over to use my b'friend's oven, I threw in rosemary instead.

I think, with this recipe, it's all good!

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2008
10:31 PM

Post #5396460

Summer---That's pretty exciting that you have already made a big batch and used a vitamix. My tomatoes won't be ready for about another month.
CapeCod---Here is a picture of the attachment. Sorry---I just caught up with my DG forums. We have been away. I don't know the name of the attachment, so had to take a pic. Also, my mixer is getting pretty old now, so don't know if they still make these. Try eBay. I think I have seen attachments there before.

Thumbnail by beebonnet
Click the image for an enlarged view.

summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2008
10:38 PM

Post #5396489

bee, I can't believe you are so far behind us. My family is from the Columbia River Gorge & I spend a fair amount of time at Cannon Beach, and it always seems plenty warm there -- if misty!

This batch is already gone -- all the guests down at B'friend's house (big weekend destination) made off with portions of it, and no one's fessing up!
disney4
Midville, GA
(Zone 8b)

August 11, 2008
1:15 PM

Post #5398736

CapeCodGardener & BeeBonnet - the Kitchenaid attachment is called a Collander and Sieve attachment. It is an old attachment that came with other attachments in a box called Kitchenaid Food Processor Attachment Pak. The item fits inside a 4 1/2 qt stand mixer bowl. The picture BeeBonnet posted is correct. I have this attachment that I purchased off ebay. I have seen the item listed numerous times on ebay. This item would work perfectly for the tomato recipe. It is designed for separating seeds and peeling just like a food mill. I hope my information helps all of you tomato growers out there.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2008
10:01 PM

Post #5401057

Thank you so much, disney4 and beebonnet, for taking the time to help me! The colander and sieve attachment for the Kitchenaid mixer looks perfect for sieving those mater skins. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find one on eBay yet but I will keep looking. I also have the 6-qt. KA mixer, which may be a problem-- I'm not sure if this particular mixer will fit the colander & sieve.
But anyway, I keeping an eye out.
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5401516

Hey CCG, I have the 6 qt mixer too. I'm pretty sure it's not going to fit. I'm going to check over at the kitchenaid website. They have some forums or something. I'll let you know what I find out & you do the same for me.
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #5401622

Thanks, Davis. I think checking with the Kitchenaid website is the way to go. I'll keep looking, too.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
yuuuuuummmy Hineni 18 Aug 21, 2008 11:21 PM
turn into leathers? cathy4 14 Sep 16, 2009 9:38 AM
roasted tomatoe sauce misskarenl 0 Aug 19, 2008 6:26 PM
Roasted Salsa variation 4paws 3 Aug 26, 2008 7:34 PM
pressure canning sauce cz 1 Nov 10, 2008 1:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America