Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce: yuuuuuummmy

Communities > Forums > Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce
bookmark
Forum: Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato SauceReplies: 18, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5381022

I just made this last night, and it is AWESOME! Darius had told me about the recipe since I had a lot of tomatoes from a gracious neighbor and was fretting about a good recipe. I did find out though, that my jars didn't seal after water bath canning. Oh darn, I guess I'll have to make mini pizzas and lasagne all next week ;)

Great recipe, and your pictures do it justice. The house still smells like a sauce factory this morning...LOL! It was wafting out the open upstairs windows last night while I was cooking it.

Thanks for sharing Jill, this one is a keeper (and Joseph can't wait to taste it after hearing me describe it over the phone...haha!)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5381038

I'm glad you love it, too!

Just to reiterate, water bath canning isn't safe with this recipe because of the olive oil. If you don't eat it up, you can easily freeze it.
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5381637

Ummm, no more room in the freezer! Meat/veggies/berries have it crammed full. Have to make jam tonight since I had to make room for veggies earlier this week. I need a freezer!!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5381651

The "no more room in the freezer" is what brought me to purchase a pressure canner, which I can use to put up roasty sauce and other things that I can't just put through a boiling water bath... I haven't used it all that much yet, but I'm just getting started... :-)
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
6:39 PM

Post #5382400

Well, I recently got a really good Pressure Cooker (Chef's Design) - which I understand is interchangeable for a Pressure Canner. I'm a little scared of them quite frankly. My mom blew up one in the kitchen when I was a kid, canning lima beans...LOL! We had lima beans EVERY where in that kitchen, in the cupboards, in the ceiling tiles (remember 70's flourescent lights with the soft panels and metal grates?) Yup, all in there too. I bet people were finding lima beans in decades to come from that...hahahaha! Funny how that ONE memory (and she canned lots of stuff that didn't blow up) makes me such a skeerdy cat :/

So I thought I'd try cooking an actual food in it, before I attempt to put glass jars of food in it :) Just haven't decided what to try first though. I wish she was up here so she could hold my hand through it...hehe.

If I master that before the next round of 'maters, I'll try pressure canning the roasted sauce.

~S
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5383247

I pressure canned a batch without incident. Just read the manual... you'll be fine!

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2008
1:52 PM

Post #5390148

Hineni, I'm in the same situation, running out of room in the big freezer, and scared to death of my pressure canner. My mom told me stories of pressure canning explosions of her childhood... I've never witnessed one tho! This recipe may help me get over the 'skeerdy cat' thing, lol!!
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 9, 2008
10:49 PM

Post #5391904

Well, my neighbor just gave me a bushel of tomatoes, so I'd better get over it quick. Else I'll just have to make regular canned ones and doctor it when it comes out :) Or, buy a freezer ;) I like the second option best...hahaha!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 10, 2008
3:37 AM

Post #5393173

You could bring the finished sauce over to my freezer... ;-)
Hineni
Paris, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5399492

Well, we're not TOO far apart, but I don't have a car...lol!

I actually canned most of the just as stewed tomatoes for chili and soups later on. Next I'm going to try my hand at salsa :)
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

August 11, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5399762

I have already put extra tomatoes in the deep freeze to eventually make soup. Is it possible to make the Roasted Tomato sauce with these frozen tomatoes?

Shirleyd
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2008
9:33 PM

Post #5400969

Yes! I do the same thing when I don't have time to deal with extra tomatoes, or when I have just a few extras... pop them into a freezer bag. They roast up just fine. I've even tossed a bag of frozen ones on top of a batch of fresh tomatoes that I'm roasting.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

August 12, 2008
11:03 AM

Post #5403110

Thanks----will do it today-----especially since we are expecting a day of rain after doing without for weeks!

Shirleyd
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #5403178

Oh, your house will smell fabulous today... mmmm!
KansasRose
Belleville, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2008
5:52 PM

Post #5404582

If you're nervous about pressure canning, call your local Extension office. They have great info. and ours does a pressure canner testing every year for free.

I can't wait to try this sauce...I picked almost a bushel of BEAUTIFUL tomatoes this morning!
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

August 12, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5405266

Can you freeze this sauce?

Shirleyd
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5405412

Yes! As I mentioned in the article, freezing works beautifully.

I turned to pressure canning only because I was running out of freezer space. You may wish to freeze in relatively small portions. We find that a cup or even a little less is sufficient to sauce a pound of pasta.
stormyla
Norristown, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #5448751

Critter, This sounds great. I'm not sure I'll use the Jalopenas, maybe 1 thin hot pepper minus seeds. I may freeze some of it in cube form to add to soups and sauteed dishes in the winter. Thanks for the demo!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #5448920

The hot pepper is optional, but a touch of some sort of hot pepper (I often use a bit of cayenne or a variety called 'Hot Portugal') gives it just a little lift without really adding heat. Jalopeno was what was called for in bluekat's original recipe, but this recipe is definitely one you can vary!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Can't wait to try it! davis1676 24 Aug 12, 2008 12:51 AM
turn into leathers? cathy4 14 Sep 16, 2009 9:38 AM
roasted tomatoe sauce misskarenl 0 Aug 19, 2008 6:26 PM
Roasted Salsa variation 4paws 3 Aug 26, 2008 7:34 PM
pressure canning sauce cz 1 Nov 10, 2008 1:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America