Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Central Midwest Gardening: Pole beans question

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5381443

Hi everyone, it's been awhile since I've been here, missed you all! My question: I have pole beans (green beans) on a trellis. They are growing great, to the top of the trellis, but no beans yet. Since this is the first time I've grown them, I wonder if there should be beans yet? My neighbor is picking bush beans already. They are in the sunniest place in my yard, and the tomatoes and cukes are producing just fine. What do you all think? Thanks! Cathy
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5383714

First, pole beans take longer to produce a harvest than bush beans. Second, look at your seed package and see how many days from planting to harvest. If you don't still have the pkg., & you can remember the name of the culivar you can google for it. Try to remember the general time of the date you planted and you will be able to figure out somewhere around the date you should pick your first beans. Are there any blooms on it yet? If not, and it is close to time for it to do that, feed them with some bloom buster fertilizer. Do that every week for a few times, keeping them well watered tho not muddy a few inches deep in between feedings, then only every 4th time or so. Pole beans are large plants so they require a lot of water to keep going and a fair amount of fertilizer to keep the plant healthy. HTH. Do you have any pollinating insects like bees? They are helpful.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #5384000

Thanks for the info, I'll try your suggestions. C

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America