Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: I Grew This!: Growing melons

Communities > Forums > Article: I Grew This!
bookmark
Forum: Article: I Grew This!Replies: 1, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
geegadwah76
Farmington, NM

August 7, 2008
9:11 PM

Post #5382970

Hi Benjamin,
I planted a garden this year, my first in many years. I planted some watermelon and cantaloupe. Can you tell me the best way to help support the watermelon vines? Some grass or a weed pops up and the watrermelon vine has been attaching itself to those, so now I'm afraid to pull them. Any advice? Thanks. Your melon looks great.

Sheron
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

August 8, 2008
2:42 AM

Post #5384276

Hi there Sheron,

I don't actually support them. I set aside a 4' square area to grow them and they of course covered that area and then some. I have a terraced garden at this house. Not my design but that of the subdevelopment. The melons are at the top and they managaed to get down to the second level. If left unchecked I would imagine they would take over the whole garden. I disconnected the vines from the plants they were attatching themselves too and let them grow on top of each other. I have 4 more melons that should be ready for harvest very soon. I thing that will be it for the season. 5 melons isn't bad!

Thank you for the compliments and if you need any advice or anything, drop me a D-Mail any time.

All the very best
Ben

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: I Grew This! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
looks yummy onewish1 4 Aug 3, 2008 11:40 PM
gardening surge here woodspirit1 9 Aug 8, 2008 8:48 AM
Benny, you are an insperation! newhobby 7 Aug 6, 2008 4:23 AM
WowJust beautiful beebonnet 4 Aug 27, 2011 4:51 PM
What a Melon! azrobin 2 Aug 6, 2008 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America