Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce: turn into leathers?

Communities > Forums > Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce
bookmark
Forum: Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato SauceReplies: 14, Views: 154
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5383157

Jill, could this sauce be dried into a leather? It sounds yummy, I'm out shopping for a food mill.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 7, 2008
10:25 PM

Post #5383244

I'm sure it could, but you get such a relatively small quantity from a bushel of tomatoes that I'd be hesitant to further reduce it... You could probably rehydrate it for use, I suppose, and that might be easier for some considerations than freezing or pressure canning...
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2008
5:43 AM

Post #5384868

That was one of my first thoughts, and then the second was how would it be to leave out the olive oil to water bath can, and add the oil at serving time. Or, reducing the olive oil enough so that the ratio of tomatoes to other ingredients is still 4:1 and waterbath safe?

I really like this recipe, cooking the skins and all together.
Thank you!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2008
12:14 PM

Post #5385439

I'm not sure you could leave out the oil without making a big mess... I think the oil might help the veggies roast rather than burn... But if you try it, be sure to report the results, because I've wondered about that too!

I'm not sure there's a "safe" amount of olive oil to add for water bath canning, as I couldn't really find an equivalent canning recipe.
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5386084

I'll see what I can find out on both when the tomatoes start rolling in. It's been a slow year, maybe because of the smoke.

The rule I referred to is in my Master Food Preserver notebook from when I took the course many years ago. I imagine the cooperative extension could answer the question.

Thanks, Jill!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2008
3:09 PM

Post #5386143

OK.. the answer that I got when I looked and asked around is that essentially almost any amount of olive oil will make it unsafe to can in a water bath. If you find out differently, let us know! :-)
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5386514

ok, that's good to know, Jill.
Stick with pressure canner then.
Thank you.
gammaneetz
Garden City, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5404100

I'd be worried about the olive oil 'over-flowing' the lid ring if I overfilled the jars. Has anyone ever had a jar not seal properly because of this with the oil added? I know that the oil is needed to keep the ingredients from sticking to the pan while roasting for the long amount of time needed.
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5404836

Perhaps a spray would work or a non stick pan.
I want to try this in an electric roaster, rather than the oven, to not heat up the house or use up propane ($3.39/gallon!) right now.

Just waiting for an abundance of tomatoes!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2008
9:55 PM

Post #5405375

I think the problem with the oil in water bath canning is a botulism risk, not just a matter of getting an improper seal... so you might not be able to tell by checking the lids whether or not you had a "safe" jar.

4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5405754

Yes, that is the problem and oil coats the spores of botulism so that the water bath doesn't get hot enough to doesn't destroy them, and then provides the perfect anerobic (that's the no oxygen, right?) environment for botulism to thrive. I've been doing some research to find out ... :-) The pressure in the canner makes it hotter, and that breaks through the oil, thus pressure canning is ok.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5406349

Thanks, 4paws... that's a good explanation of the "why." I found enough "don't do it" that I believed it, but I never did quite find a succinct explanation when I was exploring options.
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 13, 2008
2:43 PM

Post #5408305

Oh, I understand, and being me, I have got to know the why. If I thought it all the way through (duh!) I'd have realized it. One site pointed out that any high school chemistry student could show why...I didn't make it through chemistry, ever, only the organic chem part of my college Biology class (and that murdered my grade).

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #7063390

Had to bump this thread up and let you know, Paws, that I tried dehydrating a recent batch of roasty pizza sauce... it worked great!

I cut the sheets into smaller squares, and I rehydrated 1/2 cup worth in a couple of cups of fresh diced tomatoes (will use canned diced or crushed tomatoes this winter)... it was absolutely delicious, and since the flavor is quite concentrated it was actually a good thing to dilute it a bit with some non-roasted tomato.
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2009
9:38 AM

Post #7069581

Yep, it's very wonderful! I made a lot last year and gave most of it away - to rave reviews. I rolled some in full sheets, cut some in squares (good snacks, also good on sandwiches, base for steak sauce...). Can't wait to have tomatoes again.

I've got photos somewhere...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Turn Your Big Tomato Harvest into Fabulous Roasted Tomato Sauce Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Can't wait to try it! davis1676 24 Aug 12, 2008 12:51 AM
yuuuuuummmy Hineni 18 Aug 21, 2008 11:21 PM
roasted tomatoe sauce misskarenl 0 Aug 19, 2008 6:26 PM
Roasted Salsa variation 4paws 3 Aug 26, 2008 7:34 PM
pressure canning sauce cz 1 Nov 10, 2008 1:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America