-
AuthorContent
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 8, 2008
9:51 AM

Post #5385151

thanks for illustrating one of the lesser known aspects (to us who live in the south) of a northern summer. Maybe our mosquitos (hordes of them and very big) are not so bad after all.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2008
2:35 PM

Post #5385995

Very interesting Indeed! I would like to know where you could get the netting, tho. The West Nile scares me.
I do know, however, if you have gotten a bite (even a bee sting) that there is a native remedy (learned from my great grandmother). The Common Plantain leaves, if crushed & placed on the bite, will relieve the pain & itch. By the following day there is no trace of a bite.
ccove
West Islip, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 8, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #5386829

You can get the netting at campmore.com

We have the green flies here on Long Island. I hate those things
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #5387171

Dutch lady, I agree! I feel a little better about our heat and humidity. We have plenty o'insects including mosquitoes but it sounds like paradise here compared to this humorous look at a gardener's challenges up north. Thanks for sharing.

Now I'll get back to battling the ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes - not to mention the herbivorous bugs.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

August 8, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #5388078

Thanks, ccove! :)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2008
4:22 AM

Post #5389208

Any idea on why mosquitos prefer some people over others? They'll eat me alive but virtually ignore my dad.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

August 9, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #5390098

I'm just glad I'm one of the ones they don't like :-)

I've read that some people emit higher amounts of uric acids or carbon dioxide and they attract the mosquitoes.

Here is a pretty good explanation:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6847440/
valzone5
Mountain Top, PA

August 11, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5399295

From my Real Simple email, I recently learned of a patch at http://www.dontbitemepatch.com which I ordered and put on for the first time recently while gardening. It worked, at least so far, to keep mosquitoes away from my tasty body! We don't have any other biting bugs here in Luzerne County, PA thank goodness! I got a 10-pack for $7.99, so 80 cents a day for gardening is surely worth it!! I'm not outside every day. Good luck!
Napergal
Naperville, IL

August 11, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5399497

I live in Northern Illinois now ...30 miles from Chicago ...but grew up in Toronto ...my folks moved to Quebec and we had a cottage up in the Luarentians on a lake ...I can relate to your stories of the black flies!!! Here in Illinois, we have tons of mosquitoes during hot humid summers, especially bad this year because of a very rainy spring; then we get hit with the hordes of wasps in August ...you can't eat anything outdoors as they swarm all over your food and it's easy to get stung! I agree ...as a gardener, I wait all winter for summer, poring over the seed catalogs and my gardening books, and sometimes it is so disappointing ...there are just a few really lovely days and evenings when you can say, "this is the day the Lord has made!" ...the rest of the time you are battling the heat, the weeds and the bugs!! ...also, here in Illinois ...the TORNADOES!!
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 11, 2008
5:43 PM

Post #5400008

I know, napergal. It seems here we only had about 3 nice spring days. It went immediately to HOT. I missed that most glorious of gardening weather.

Wow, your weather sounds like ours, just a lot further north. Humidity, heat, mosquitoes and tornadoes not to mention yellow jackets (the ground nesting bee/wasp things that torture us here).

I got stung by a bee friend today while deadheading a gaillardia - I leaned too close to a salvia and zap. I'm surprised it hasn't happened before because we have hundreds of bees of several kinds in the garden. I guess I just invaded his space TOO much.

One lesson learned: I had on a loose fitting man's shirt and I think that is a mistake. The large sleeves made for easy access for winged critters (and crawling!).
valzone5
Mountain Top, PA

August 31, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #7009843

Regarding my past comment about the DoNotBiteMe patch, it hasn't worked this year but then I realized that all it contains is B1 vitamin. I called my doctor to make sure taking 100mg. of B1 from our local pharmacy would not hurt me, I now take one every day and have not been bitten by any nasty bug at all!! Hooray!!!!! I recommend B1 highly for those of us who are tasty :-)
francine38
Falls Church, VA

July 1, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9582681

Thank you for the B1 advice, I will get B1 pills, I am tasty too, I thought first because I have type A blood, none of my parents nor my sister and her husband got bitten by mosquitos, I am always the one the mosquitos go to where ever I am. And I also happens to be the only one in the family who have blood type A. So my logic said: mosquitos like blood type A.

I do not know if it is true. Anyway, so far, Tiger Balm seems to help me. It takes care of the itch and I also found out if I rub it on my ankels, neck, wrists, ears it helps to keep them away. Be careful not to rub it near your eyes, it stings--It is smelly, but I rather wear a funny perfume than being bitten.

When a yellow jacket stings you, put vinegar or lemon or lime. Learned from a dear friend. It really works! An ungrateful yellow jacket that I picked with a tissue to take it outside, stung me, and I could feel it in my body, kind of hot, I quickly found vinegar and poured it on my finger, and the heat subsided immediately and disappeared...A lesson learned, never try to rescue a yellow jacket with a tissue!

When a bee stings you, put honey, after you pull out the sting. Same friend told me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Summer Bites Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good Article! BennysPlace 0 Aug 8, 2008 6:15 PM
Love it! WigglyPaw 0 Aug 11, 2008 2:56 AM
Another Great Mosquito Repellant is... EmmaGrace 1 Jul 2, 2013 11:17 AM
Garlic anyone? ellenorigby 0 Aug 12, 2008 1:27 AM
Cute article and really hits home! Mima56 0 Aug 12, 2008 7:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America