Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Central Midwest Gardening: problem with plants

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2008
7:03 PM

Post #5387133

Hey I just got back from some military duty. My flower bed was filled with weeds and my plants are wilting. What should I do and what do you think caused it? I wasn't able to water them because I was gone but I thought it rained a few times too This was a foxglove plant.

Thumbnail by allanme79
Click the image for an enlarged view.

allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 8, 2008
7:04 PM

Post #5387138

Here is another pict.

Thumbnail by allanme79
Click the image for an enlarged view.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2008
6:32 PM

Post #5395555

They just look really dry allan, I would really flood the bed and weed really well. When they perk up give them some miracle grow. Don't fertilize right now when the roots are stressed. It doesn't take long for plants to dry and wilt in the heat, especially in clay soil. If the root damage is not severe they will pick right up with regular watering.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 10, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #5396012

I've not grown foxgloves so I am not familar with the problems they typically have.

We have had a lot of rain this year (in KC) followed by very hot weather. Sometimes the plants that were put in the current year when there is a lot of rain have problems when the weather gets hotter. The roots can be too shallow because of all the rain. Poor drainage coupled with wet weather can also cause plants to look bad.

My understanding is that too wet of soil and the leaves are brown but still fleshy feeling. Too dry and the leaves are just dry/brittle feeling.

Call your local county extension office and see what they say. In KC they have master gardeners maning the phones. They are usually right on about what the problem is and may have had similar calls already.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5396958

I agree with the above. Even though we too have had alot of rain, recently it has been brutally hot and dry and my plants are requiring daily watering or every other day at the least. Hopefully there is no root damage and they will pick right up where they left off. If the roots have alot of damage then you might be in for other issues. Just keep them really moist right now to lessen the stress and allow them to recover. It may mean mid day watering when the stress is the worst for them.
allanme79
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5399024

Well I hope it works. I spent all the time starting them from seed. I thought it was a fungus from all the hard rain.

lavender4ever

lavender4ever
(Louise) Highland, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5399766

well fungus and bacterial problems can invade if the roots have damage. Keep us posted on how they do!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America