Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Dog Days of Summer: My brown dogs are safe....

Communities > Forums > Article: Dog Days of Summer
bookmark
Forum: Article: Dog Days of SummerReplies: 15, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

August 9, 2008
11:27 AM

Post #5389728

Jill and Bruce can snooze in peace. I'll just get thru it:).
Thanks Sharon! That was enough to make me believe I have an excuse to stay inside, but then it was cool(ish) this am. The plants need water, so I'll take care of that. Maybe it'll even be cool enough to put up some salsa, but maybe not. Maybe tomorrow...
bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2008
12:02 PM

Post #5389802

Even if the "Dog Days" aren't so pertinent, your article is so well crafted and interesting that it is a must read. Thanks again for another fine article. Patti
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

August 9, 2008
12:55 PM

Post #5389967

Sharon, you are so gifted. How I love your writings!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

August 9, 2008
1:02 PM

Post #5389982

Emmagreyhound can't read, but she liked your article! Whew, I hope no one is sacrificing brown greyhounds this year.
leaflady
Hughesville, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2008
2:12 PM

Post #5390219

Very informative. I never knew the origins of Dog Day of Summer so I am now more educated. I use to hear that dogs became 'mad' with rabies more this time of the year, and I know now that heat makes some humans act more aggresively at times. I remember the riots in some large cities years ago that were blamed on the heat and what it does to people.

Sharron, you are a wealth of information. If you ever put it into a book I would love a copy of it.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 9, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #5390499

Very, very interesting.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5390656

I come home from a boring meeting and open up this thread...woooofffff! You all sure did bring on a smile and a chuckle.
I am glad you enjoyed the article, and Cat...suddenly here it is also just reasonably warm and not so hot. I am glad your dogs are OK, too. That salsa sounds like a great idea.

Patti, thank you again for reading the articles, glad you enjoyed this one.

Hemophobic, you just brightened my day. Again!

Gloria, Emmagreyhound is too fleet of foot! She will out run them everytime, and kiss the hand that reaches for her, she is too special.

Leaflady, I have heard that also, that rabies runs rampant. Maybe it is just the short tempers of us humans that aggravate the critters when it is so hot.

Dutchlady, thank you for reading and for commenting.

My thanks to all of you for taking the time to write, and for giving me a smile. I hope your day is just what you need.
Sharon

4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5390658

Very interesting and well-written as always! I started collecting seeds yesterday, as a matter of fact.

Admittedly, I do not suffer from the kind of heat you do - no humidity - so when it creeps to 100, I do not mind if I can be home. I just join the dogs in their pools - but only my feet - or we go sit in the river.

As a child in upstate NY, I had wonderful places (my "forts") in the woods to explore and recline and enjoy the summer days with my dog, Buster, a book, a package of saltines, some oleo and water. I disappeared early in the day and returned for supper, unless someone found me to do chores or got to me before I could head up the hill.

Yep, you need to replenish that water!
Thank you, Sharon!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5390730

Thank you, 4paws, I enjoy hearing about your adventures, too. My dogs were Pepper and Dickie...(Dickie was the brown one, and I made sure there were no sacrifices. Pepper was white, so she was safe anyway.)
4paws
Citra, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 9, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #5390916

My Buster was Buster Brown, of course, a brown and white border collie. No one would have gotten past me to get him, that's for sure! I'd have run away, first!
:-)
mametcalf
Genesee Twp, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5391453

Great article!

August has always been my least favorite month, due to the complete lack of motivation to complete necessary outdoor tasks that the hot weather produces. Now I do not feel so alone.

As for the dogs, my German Shorthaired Pointer is black, the wrong color for his breed, but it makes him safe. The older beagle is of the lemon variety - definitely not brown. The younger beagle, well, I'll just call her "red" and black!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #5391500

Good idea, mama...
No browns in my house either, except me!! But what's in a name, anyway...
Thanks for writing, and I do agree about August.
Sharon
Susie2
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #5399087

Memories as always from you. I remember running down to the creek in summer and splashing in the cool water. It was surrounded by pine and sweetgum trees and I always took a bag of snacks with me. That was just prior to school starting and I wanted to savor every bit of daylight in that creek as possible. Never mind all the wild animals and snakes that were all around (didn't even notice). All last week I gathered seeds with my little brown Rinky Dink(chihuahua) at my side. He usually beat me to the door when he knew it was time to go inside.
Thanks, Sharron.

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #5399573

Thanks, Susie.
It is so nice to hear from you. Yes...memories, as always. Seems I have my share of them, and one article just leads to another memory.
Give Rinky Dink a hug for me, and you stay cool.
Sharon
edelseu
Hicksville, NY

August 12, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #5401735

I recently discovered your writings here, and, while I was a city boy, I love reading about your life in the mountains, especially about Aunt Bett. When I wqas young, I did spend some summers in the (New York State) Catskill Mountains, and your writings make me nostalgiac for that time of my youth. Thank you for you stories.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #5401814

Well, thank you for telling me. I am glad a "city boy" from NY has a fondness for the mountains and for the traditions and nostalgia from years ago. I will always be glad to hear from you.
I hope you continue to enjoy the stories.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Dog Days of Summer Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I am not brown, but am I safe? vossner 1 Aug 10, 2008 4:25 PM
Informative Starzz 3 Aug 24, 2011 9:40 PM
Dog days of summer tabby7 1 Aug 11, 2008 4:10 PM
I'm Glad This Was Posted Again DEMinPA 3 Aug 23, 2011 8:15 PM
I feel your pain! joeyramone 1 Aug 24, 2011 9:41 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America