Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Ornamental Elderberries: more on Sambucus

Communities > Forums > Article: Ornamental Elderberries
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ornamental ElderberriesReplies: 0, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
I_LOVE_ROSES
Felton, CA

August 9, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5390399

Hi again Todd ~

When we visited at Lake Tahoe, California this year, we finally found a Sambucus 'Black Lace' & 'Black Beauty' side by side. There I could finally see them in person and make my choice. I really love the darker leaves of the black lace and since we want them to retain their darker colour, that is what we will be getting. You gave me excellent hort. tips on maintainance, so now we are ready. I have already picked the spot. It helped me to know from some close-by nursery folk that the Black Beauty does NOT retain the darker leaves - they are dark in Spring, when it begins leafing out, and then they turn sort of a muddy brown - and the Black Lace DOES retain the dark burgundy colour. This one reminds me of a fine lacy leaved Japanese Maple. My mother had one, although a lime-green colour. Very elegant. I will have to wait for the blooms~ to experience the wonderful fragrance...
Kind regards ~ Maria

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ornamental Elderberries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article! pelletory 6 Aug 1, 2011 1:45 PM
Black Lace Elderberry momof2labs 2 Aug 1, 2011 1:43 PM
Black lace elderberry "tree" owgii 1 Oct 24, 2008 10:11 AM
Elderberries hillsidegardens 1 May 2, 2009 6:35 PM
Elderberry windsocklady 0 Aug 1, 2011 6:58 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America