Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 9, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5391024

i was wondering if basil would make good tea--googled it and turns out it is a tea used in india a lot and can be soothing for upset stomach and has health bennefits--does anyone make it? i have 3 different basils that i am growing and plan to give all three a try--
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2008
5:50 AM

Post #5393679

I don't know about Basil, but...

Raspberry leaf is quite good with sugar, is an anti-spasmodic, helps with cramps.

Rosemary is also quite good, though more on the bitter side then raspberry leaf, it's an anti-septic and anti-bacterial, it's used to treat depression and anxiety, it's also used to treat canker sores. Itís great for colds and other throat issues.

I make a brew out of coneflower, rosemary, garlic and blueberry when I start to get sick. Tastes like #*!! but works wonders. I started making it into soup last time, still tastes like $#!&, but a bit more edible.
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 10, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5394678

i was wondering about rosemary--glad you mentioned it--i have so much rosemary but don't really use it enough--i might go and google rosemary tea now--
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 10, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5395120

i am also curious about marigold tea--and any other uses for marigolds, rosemar and basil--i did see that rosemary makes a good hair rinse--i think i would really like that fresh smell--and also in the tub!
zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5397082

I don't have any medical uses for Basil, though my research isn't extensive at this point.

I don't have Marigold listed yet, though I would be interested in medical uses.

That's all I have written down on Rosemary though I think you're right on the hair rinse.
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

August 13, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #5410188

The basil used in India is usually Holy basil, not sweet basil. They drink the tea and honor the plant. There is holy basil tincture as well. It is said to be a mood elevator. Marigold, that is Calendula officinalis or pot marigold, has tons of uses. It is the herb of the year for 2008. Calendula was called pot marigold due to its many uses in the cook pot. I have written an article about it for The Essential Herbal. You can also find it here. www.GreenSpiralHerbs.com You can also go to the Herb Society of America for information on calendula. Marigold - Tagetes (French or African marigolds) shouldn't be eaten or drunk. Excepting the cultivar Lemon Gem or Tangerine Gem, which smell like their names suggests.
planolinda
Plano, TX

August 13, 2008
10:20 PM

Post #5410375

betty i ended up making basil tea--took a bunch of it and covered it with boiling water--then added a little lemon and sugar--drank it iced--i liked it --wonder what the holy basil tastes like? as for the marigolds--did the same thing with them but used the dried flowers--tried a little taste and it was terrible--now i see from you posst that it is not the right one to make tea from!
i used the rosemary and made a tea but use it for a hair rinse and added a little vinegar--i will check out your article-thanks

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America