Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: FALL quilt block swap PART 2!

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 225, Views: 1,404
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 9, 2008
6:43 PM

Post #5391181

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/880398/#new, please remember the deadline is Oct 1 for ALL blocks to be sent out (although judging from the blocks that are FLYING out the door to new owners that won't be a problem!)

Please refer to first thread for "the rules" and here is a recap of the colors. Anyone who is NOT a member will need to send their addresses to all the members AND receive the addresses of the members since they are unable to retrieve them from address list that DG maintains.

1 psychw2----Red, White and Blue (in stars, even monotone florals, or flags)
2. mgh----small floral prints in yellow, pinks, greens, purples, peaches
3. abbisgranma----cream & all shades of blue & purple
4. Qwilter----Red/ white/ blue
5. 2pugdogs----Purples and sage
6. 2busy gardening----pastels/Aunt Grace 1930"s
7. Quelgian----purple turqoise and white
8. Lillyfan ----fall colors
9.. barefootT----greens, creams, browns, orange (solid or print) Fall
10. Got2Bgreen----Red/ pink / white solids OR prefer ROSE PRINT
11. Karen of Arizona----fall colors
12. luvs2garden2000----fall colors
13. Taters55----fall colors, crèmes & browns, … or purples
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #5392101

I have received 3 fantastic blocks!! As soon as my camera charges I will post the pictures. I am so excited about putting this group together ---can hardly wait. Colors are just perfect in all of them. Thanks.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5392269

I'm so happy to hear you are pleased with the blocks you have received, it does make getting the mail FUN doesn't it?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #5392278

Oh my yes!! Sorry I haven't mailed the magazines yet. Took time out to go help with my Mom who took a very bad fall. Soon reading materials will be coming.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 10, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5392299

No hurry... I will enjoy them whenever they get here!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5392305

Thanks so much.
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 10, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5392380

Hope your mom feels better soon.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 10, 2008
1:00 AM

Post #5392385

She is doing much better, thanks.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5398823

abbisgranma, good to hear your mother is doing well.

FINALLY, I am going to get the picture of the first 4 blocks I've recieved! They are from: got2Bgreen, 2pugdogs, 2busygardening, and mgh.

Wonderful blocks everyone!

Thumbnail by llilyfan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #5398833

I'm going to mail out my first 4 blocks today.

This is my block, it shows the pattern I've chosen.

Thumbnail by llilyfan

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5399434

Lilly, the pattern and colors you have chosen are BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to see it in MY colors! LOL.

I have been sewing up a storm and have the final 5 blocks cut and ready to sew. Having the ability to sew ALL the blocks at once (the info on colors etc) has REALLY helped me. I've certain the next swap I organize will have the same feature. I'd like people's feed back of how they have felt about this. I'll post an interest thread in a week or two probably.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5399860

Psychw2, I told mom about your new swap and she is excited. She now says she wants to do a railroad quilt. She will call it railroad to Colorado. Where us kids were born and her and my daddy were married.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5400496

Can't believe how many blocks I've received already. I want you all to know that you aren't forgotten. Mine may be the last you receive. I've been waiting for a work related trip to be finalized and was just given dates today. I'll be in the Orient 25 Aug - 6 Sep. I doubt I'll have time to get blocks made before then.

So, DON'T panic - you will get them - and hopefully by 1 Oct.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5400566

LOL... I know, its NUTS!!! I have been so slow in some swaps I just really wanted to be EARLY this time! I got the last of them sewn this morning, I'm so excited!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5401504

I'm even slower!! When I came home from my Mom's I thought I would devote the next day or so doing my blocks. DIL needed me to keep the GDs as the day care they were in for the summer took a 2 week break and someone was needed to stay with them. Of course when she asked me I couldn't say no! LOL Really tough job but it has to be done.

Fabrics and pattern all selected.
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 12, 2008
3:54 AM

Post #5402508

I'm not in a hurry to recieve my blocks as I have 3 quilt tops in progress right now. I was in a hurry to get mine out because I was in the swing of things and I am afraid that if I get out of my groove - no one would recieve anything from me.

:-)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2008
4:55 AM

Post #5402703

Boy Ain't that the truth Got2bgreen! When I get sewing, I SEW... in this house I do not really have the luxary of LEAVING everything set up so its such a hassle to sew for short times. Since yesterday morning I have sewn over 15 blocks and put the sashing on one quilt top. I'm piecing the backing now... gotta go! Hubby will be home from work in less than an hour and I'd like to have this cleaned up.
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5403636

I received this in the mail yesterday from Psychw2. Thanks so much it is really beautiful. I love the colors

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #5403655

I also got this one in the mail yesterday from BarefootT very interesting block. All the colors really bring it together. Love it. The block is called Carpenters Square.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2008 9:20 AM

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2008
2:22 PM

Post #5403676

That is a cool block, how about you send the link BarefootT???
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 12, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #5403689

I think all the blocks are very pretty, i can not wait to get them all together and play with them to get them just right.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 14, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5410738

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/CarpentersSquareBlock.html

here ya go, I made the last strips wider to make the block 12.5 instead of 11, I was very happy with how it has come out, hope you all like the color schemes, I am choosing for you. More will be out in the mail this week .

The first few I did took quite awhile, but they are getting easier and easier. heres another one

Thumbnail by barefootT

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2008
1:51 AM

Post #5411196

Thats a cute little leaf pattern in that fabric. The block is very bold! Nice work.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #5412747

I received my block from MGH this week and I forgot to post I am so sorry, it is very pretty. I really like the colors in all my blocks I have.
Highmtn
Cliff Dweller, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 14, 2008
1:39 PM

Post #5412758

OMG... I am not in on this swap (because I'm in two already), but THESE BLOCKS ARE STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!]

Way to go ladies!!!! Beautiful color choices! Post more post more!!!!

Love them!!!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2008
2:33 PM

Post #5417630

Qwilter and psychw2, I'm putting your blocks in the mail today. I am definately going to have to do a r/w/b quilt, these turned out quite nice (I think)no humility here! Let me know what you think, because I'm not sure I followed your color instructions very well psychw2

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5417809

I am sure it is STUNNING!! You do such nice work Lilly. You sure don't have to worry about "following" the instructions! I am going to be making a couple of R/W/B quilts and will be mixing the blocks from several swaps that I have asked for RWB. It will look more like a sampler quilt, or at least I hope so!!!

One of my favorite blocks that I have made for myself includes a cute red fabric with X & Os and the word love in white on the solid red background. That makes up VERY cute in the RWB blocks.

We ended up making an "emergency" trip out of town to help my son so we stopped at the PO on way out of town and dropped all the blocks in the mail. Hopefully you will all be getting your blocks soon. It would have been easier to make ALL the FALL blocks the same but I could do it... too curious about different combinations! I hope you like them all.

Got to go... I am NOT fond of sister's laptop! (although grateful for access!) OH!! I have a job interview scheduled for next Wednesday.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 15, 2008
3:11 PM

Post #5417885

LOL, I too was too curious about different combos and ending up making them all different also.

I was really surprised when after laying all the fall blocks out for my DH to see, he chose taters55 block as his favorite...his second choice was the one for BarefootT, which I thought would be his fav.

Good luck on the interview (cause I'll forget next week)!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 15, 2008
3:18 PM

Post #5417920

Am I glad to see these last few post. I, too, am curious and have chosen different fabrics for the fall and R/W/B blocks. Load off my mind now!! Didn't want to be the odd man-oops! woman--out here.

Sending positive thoughts for your job interview next week Psychw2!!!
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2008
3:19 PM

Post #5417925

I am so glad that some are doing different, my mom is helping me and having so much fun and she does not like everything the same. She says its boring. I should be able to have all my blocks done mid next week and out in the mail by the end of next week.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2008
11:19 PM

Post #5419888

psychw2 - Got the great block today. That red fabric is very nice.

My trip has been pushed back a week so I may get some time to sew before I go. Have so enjoyed this round of blocks.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2008
12:26 AM

Post #5420123

I got a great fall block from llilyfan today, and sent two more out. will post some pics tomorrow. Sorry but tooo tired tonight, was a very long hard week at work and I'm off to bed, just needed to check in here first...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5422666

well...now that i have had almost 12 hours of sleep, I'm ready to roll.
so here is the pic of llily's lovely block

Thumbnail by barefootT

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 16, 2008
4:52 PM

Post #5422682

and here is another one I did, but this one came out 12.25, not 12.5...soooo I guess I have to add it to my "keep" pile, instead of sending it to someone.
Now that I have had some very much needed extra sleep I am going to try it again..

Thumbnail by barefootT

KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2008
12:37 AM

Post #5424327

I have received 5 beautiful blocks and will get pictures posted in the next day or two. My son is tied up with drill this weekend and cannot help me. I have also got all of my blocks cut out ready to sew except for one. Will cut it tomorrow when I get home from work. I am enjoying this swap very much.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #5424357

here is the block I got today from psychw2, another great one :-}

Thumbnail by barefootT

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2008
12:44 AM

Post #5424361

I have really enjoyed this one too, maybe because I am EARLY. I am not feeling guilty for being LATE. I am not embarrassed because I couldn't get someone's block "right" because I was too inexperienced for some of the block patterns chosen!!! Being successful does help my attitude! LOL

It COULD have been my imagination but it SEEMS so far that many of the blocks have been a little on the easier side when we were going to be sewing ALL the blocks of the pattern we chose. Is that my imagination? Of course some of us have not yet chosen our patterns so maybe I'm making assumptions too soon!! I've sure enjoyed the blocks that I have received so far.

I'm working on our 2nd room trying to SQUEEZE a sewing table and clear some shelf space in there so I can leave my sewing set up. I'm making progress!!! (Back to WORK!)
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5426635

I got this one in the mail yesterday from psychw2. I have been really receiving some beautiful blocks.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2008
4:30 PM

Post #5426651

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture taken earlier and posted but I received this one Friday. I am on my down side this week feeling tired and run down. Got2Bgreen send this one to me love the colors like I said I have been receiving some very beautiful blocks. All blocks that I have been receiving have some great color choices in them they are really great.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2008
5:55 PM

Post #5426966

Linda sending good wishes your way!!! Take care of yourself. The blocks are all beautiful. Have been busy with GDs and trying to get things taken care of in the yard in the event Lady Fay's ways are felt here. Will post my blocks later today.
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 17, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5428344

I sure hope Lady Fay heads somewhere else. We don't need any hurricanes hitting Florida or anywhere else.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2008
12:45 AM

Post #5428736

So do I but am keeping a close eye on it for sure. Without hubby now it leaves all the prep to me and my daughter. Most of it done--still some hanging plants to take down.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #5429383

I've been thinking that I might have come across a way to "adjust" for any blocks that are not a full 12.5 and still get them into the quilt without problems. I wanted my blocks to be set apart, not edge to edge so I assumed I would put sashing between them. What if I set them on point with the same fabric for all of them creating the "square"? I could make that oversized and resize to a consistent size. Can anyone tell me if there are problems that I am overlooking for using this solution?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2008
3:24 PM

Post #5430663

It should work but you also can just add borders to each and do the same thing. I can recall the name of the book right now but there is one for baby quilts that uses that technique.
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #5431996

The beauty of quilting is that you can use any size blocks and still get a great quilt. You can do it the way psychw2 said, or you can just use different size of borders around the block. It is fun to try different ways to get the size quilt that you want.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2008
8:36 PM

Post #5432133

Lillyfan, the block came and its BEAUTIFUL!!! If you have a picture, would you please post so others can see it? (Will I EVER get this digital camera etc mastered?)
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2008
1:49 AM

Post #5433494

Not a problem, and yes you will master the digital camera :-) If I can do it, anyone can!

Here's your block, I'm so glad you like it, I was a bit worried since I took liberty with your color choices.

Thumbnail by llilyfan

2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5435190

psychw2 that is a beautiful block would you mind sharing it with us. The name where to found it etc etc. Great choice of colors also. Very Very nicely done.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2008
2:28 PM

Post #5435588

Lilly made it for me, I'm sure she'll post the link when she sees your request. It is BEAUTIFUL isn't it??? And best of all... its MINE!!! hehehe
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5435626

It would be really nice if we could post the pattern names with the blocks. Or have I been missing that?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2008
3:02 PM

Post #5435763

No, you haven't missed that. You are are right, the pattern name and LINK if possible would be WONDERFUL!!!

The pattern I used was Go Along #2. http://www.quilterscache.com/V/VOS_GoAlong2Block.html don't be confused though... the block pictured in R/W/B, Lilly made for me and is NOT Go Along!!! Sorry I don't have a pic I can post for you but above 2pugs & barefoot posted pics of the blocks I made.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2008
3:07 PM

Post #5435796

All the blocks are so pretty and nice patterns I just thought it would be nice to have the names. Thanks much! I also wish we had signed them with the quilt pens with our DG name and real names. Truly make a DG friendship quilt. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2008
3:46 PM

Post #5436035

The pattern I used was called "Chains".

http://www.quilterscache.com/C/ChainBlock.html
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5436057

I love all the patterns, I have some more blocks that came in but have not gotten up there to see them yet. It has been pouring down that wet stuff from the sky. I will go up there today.
2busygardening
Dade City, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5436311

woven ribbons from quilterscache is the one I sent everyone
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5436380

The pattern I used for all the blocks I sewed is called Cubed Lattice. I 'tweaked' the arrangement for this swap, so it doesn't even look like the same pattern to me. The 4 units are constructed exactly like the directions, but when I was laying out the final 4, I preferred my arrangement for a stand alone block. There are other sites that have this pattern, but they construct it differently.

Here is the link for the directions I used. http://www.quilt.com/BlockOfTheMonth/1997/CubedLattice.html

I know I already posted this, but here is a look at this block as I did it for myself

Thumbnail by llilyfan

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5436413

Thanks for reposting the block with the link, that makes it handy for reference. Changing even the dark or light fabrics, changes WHAT becomes dominant and does change the WHOLE look!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 19, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5436611

That's exactly why I HAD to play and make them all different.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2008
5:44 PM

Post #5436695

I know... its an addiction! WHY or WHY can't we do it the simple way and just make all the "fall" the same etc!???? LOL ... don't tell me I know... because we have to TRY as many looks as possible!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5436968

...because we are women and that is what we do?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5436974

LOL THAT too!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #5437033

Thanks everyone for posting your blocks. That is very helpful as I have seen many I would love to try sometimes.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2008
6:56 PM

Post #5437078

Yes thanks for the links, mom just told me that we are going to atempt to do all the blocks that has been sent to us and make her one.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #5437213

Tia, what colors are your Mom going to go with? You just NEVER know when an extra might come your way!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5437224

Good question Psychw2--might find a few here also. Once I get going I often overdo!!!
Another woman thing, I do believe.
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2008
7:37 PM

Post #5437317

I don't know what the heck I am doing but I can't get the link to open llilyfan it keeps coming up with 'page load error' maybe this is another women thing for me anyway. But I love the block you posted on 8/19 at 11:41 AM. Maybe you could just d-mail me your directions.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #5437404

Not just you Linda, I can't get it to open either.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #5437554

I wonder why, it opens for me. I wonder if I'm "registered" and automatically loading, that can happen. I sent the directions to you Linda but as you could see, the pics did not come thru. sorry... did my best!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 19, 2008
8:43 PM

Post #5437669

I keep getting website not available.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5437829

hers is yellow or gold green blue
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2008
10:59 PM

Post #5438368

The block I did is called Antique Tile. Here is a link: http://www.quilterscache.com/A/AntiqueTileBlock.html

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2008
1:41 AM

Post #5439190

my block is called carpenters square, the link is posted above. I made the last strips wider, so the block would be 12" instead of 11".

abbisgranma, signature quilt could be a good idea for a future swap...

Thumbnail by barefootT

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2008
1:43 AM

Post #5439227

Thanks I would love to do one like that but after October I will have limited time as I am back on the planning committee for the Spring Garden Festival at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens. I could participate but to hostess it might be a little more than I can handle right now. Love your square!!!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #5439600

Ok, try this link and then click on alphabetical blocks and then on Cubed Lattice and see if this way will work. If so I will put the link in the other post of mine with the picture

http://www.quilt.com/
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2008
2:32 AM

Post #5439606

Oh I finally got it open. Computer problem here was all.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #5439755

So...the original link works?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #5440896

Hopefully everyone has received their own quilt block from me by now. I am soooo proud of myself, I am NOT late! (Can you tell I've had issues with being late before?? LOL) As this swap progresses, think about what you would like different in the next swap.

What changes would you like to see included? What did you like, what did you dislike and how could we improve. This is a "delicate subject" but what are thoughts on members only? What are your thoughts on US & Canada, should we open it up to other countries if they WANT to be included? I KNOW for me, if I was organizing another swap and included different countries, it would ONLY be for members. The added expense of shipping would increase my wariness.

I'm looking forward to your pictures of those beautiful blocks! You ladies do GREAT work!
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2008
6:27 PM

Post #5442336

psychw2, I know exactly how you feel about the being late! I wanted to get all mine out early this time too cuz I was so late on some other swaps.

I really liked this swap and wouldn't change a thing. I haven't received all my blocks yet, but I have faith that I will. I have no problem with involving other countries even if they aren't subscribers. Yes, it would be a bummer if someone didn't send their blocks after I've sent them a block, but at least I know I would have kept up my side of the deal. And if it was a pattern that I chose, I know I could always make another one for myself without too much problem.

Just my 2¢

Mendy
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2008
6:34 PM

Post #5442360

Well, I am running behind with my blocks--sidetracked with Mom--but they will be going out soon. This is my first swap so I don't feel I am in a position to suggest much when it works so well. Just like the idea of signing the blocks--doesn't necessarily have to be signature blocks. Then I can look back and say Oh, that was with my DG buddies.

I have no feelings one way or another about members or out of country. If allowed to join again will more than willingly go with majority.
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5443524

I don't have an opinion either. Member, not member, in country or out, I'm ready for the next swap. I have the block picked out already.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5443616

LOL... you got it BAD got2bg!
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2008
11:42 PM

Post #5443702

I confess!

MGH and I found a really great little quilt shop on the coast this weekend and I'm back in the mood to sew!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #5443753

llilyfan- link still doesn't work for me.

I bought a mid-arm quilting machine in Feb. Today I got my 1st paid customer!!!!! As long as folks want an all over meander, I'm good. Still working on mastering a design.
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5443825

Good for you, Qwilter! That's awesome!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5443826

Oh Qwilter that is a wonderful bit of news. I have a gadzilla of tops but am unable to do hand quilting much. Several surgeries for carpal and now a messed up wrist all because I tripped over a hose!!

If you are going to be taking customers I am very interested if you would like to dmail me with prices, etc.

So when does the next swap start?
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2008

Post #5443844

my mom got her account fixed and she is lurking so i am posting this ...she is hooked stick a fork in her she is done. She is going to her sisters that can get material for dirt cheap. So she can make quilts. MOM post say Hi!!!!!!!!!!

Love ya mom
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5443880

abbisgranma - I hope to start taking customers in a couple months. I want to quilt "full time" when I retire (and move in FL) in a couple years. I'd do it now if I didn't have a mortgage payment to make & cats to feed!!!!

I'll dmail you when I get pricing figured out.

And I plan to get some blocks made this weekend!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5443900

I can understand that one. Still have mortgage payments when your retired--I do!!

Now feeding the cats is another story--the last noise I hear before bed and the first one in the morning--I want some canned food!!

Looking forward to hearing from you. It is upsetting I can't do the hand quilting anymore but I am not willing to have more surgeries so I will yield to other methods.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #5443903

Ya... Mendy has been trying to tempt me with links. She knows I am WEAK!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #5443914

Those links can be hazardous to one well being!! LOL ...and a few quilting mags can too.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #5443920

Sorry... I got called away and hit send and you guys were chatty while I was gone!

A quilting machine???? Oh be still my heart! Unless I gave up our whole living room, there is NO way I'd have room for one. Abbis, this group could keep you busy full time! LOL, yes, send me prices too! I'm sure I'll have to stick with tying, I'm too broke to be able to pay for the "good stuff" and too lazy to do the hand quilting.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5443947

Oh Psychw2 I am not the lucky one with the quilting machine. Always wanted one but to "chicken" to buy it. Afraid I wouldn't be able to use it. Will have to spread mine out as I am embarassed to say how many tops I have ready. Best not knowing!!! LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2008
12:26 AM

Post #5443959

DUH!!! LOL... boy I'm losing it, YOU were commenting on Qwilter's good fortune! (you can tell me, I won't tell... how many quilt tops you got ready??? I'll tell you how many I have STARTED!!! LOL)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008

Post #5444013

shhhhh 17 last count. Now that is our secret remember.
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008
12:54 AM

Post #5444157

I forgot to post this - can't remember when I got it.

From Psychw2.

Thumbnail by got2Bgreen

KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #5448553

Abbissgranma I got you beat with the number of quilt tops that need to be quilted. I have at least 2 dozen. When I worked at Hancock Fabrics I taught quilt classes and got a lot of tops. I have one of those Gracie Quilt frames that you put you own machine on and can do a pretty good job of quilting them, problem is I do not have the time right now.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
1:34 AM

Post #5449620

Oh Karen bless you, bless you! You have made my day for sure. I have taken so much teasing from my quilting friends when I was living in Gainesville about having so many things not finished. ie: quilted. Not to mention have stacks of fabric (used to work for Cloth World--remember those days?). Funny when they needed a piece of fabric where they headed.

Haven't heard about the Gracie frames. I was out of the sewing quilting loop for the past 8 years, 4 with my husband's bout with cancer and the last 4 trying to reestablish my life as a single person. That is why I am enjoying this groups so much.

I will send you the crown the gave me when I left as the Queen of Unfinished Quilts! LOL

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2008
2:54 AM

Post #5450070

Queen of Unfinished Quilts??? Hummmmmm... they sound jealous to me! I have faith that you will get to the quilts in due time.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #5450181

Oh don't be sure--I get to much fun from doing the tops and I get so depressed about not being able to hand quilt. Just don't want any more surgeries on my hands or wrist!!

They finished one thing at a time. Start, finish move on to something else. I am just not that way.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2008
3:58 AM

Post #5450412

OK... so THEY were NOT truly creative people like US!!! LOL... HOW boring!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
4:06 AM

Post #5450440

Crative but the type personalities they had to do one thing at a time. I wouldn't know how to act if I did that. Oh well, I am happy so not overly worried I am doing several things at once. Just say I am very diversified! LOL

Going to bed ,looks like we might be having worse weather than originally planned with Fay. Will need to do an early thirty check to make sure I have everything secured that could become a missile in wind.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2008
11:05 AM

Post #5451078

I can relate to you guys. My 2 quilting buddies buy fabric, make the quilt, get the quilt quilted then start that process over again.

I, on the other hand, could start a store with my fabric stash (I worked at JoAnn's part time for years and still can't pass up a sale at any quilt shop). And unfinished projects, and tops - I have a few!!!!! Once a year I attempt to finish all my projects and then I start over.

Even with my quilting machine I have unfinished tops!!!! I'm still a novice with feathers and I know I want feathers on these quilts. So, they will have to wait. Actually, I;m hoping to win the lottery so I can get the computerized addition to the machine!!!!

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
11:54 AM

Post #5451171

Oh my but it seems like together we could start our own business. LOL Ditto to everything you said but it keeps me out of trouble--sort of. LOL

Now which lottery? I am planning on the Florida so I can buy me quilting machine, add a bigger room to house my craft things and ...well it goes on on and on.

Have a good day everyone. No sure how long I am going to be as have already had some internet problems this morning.
Quelgian
Ottawa
Canada

August 22, 2008
2:01 PM

Post #5451653

I have quilt tops. Probably not as many as some of you but I still have them. I love piecing and making the tops. I really don't enjoy quilting. I'll do it on the machine if i really want to finish something but I will never hand quilt. 2 surgeries, a broken hand and a broken wrist later it's never going to happen.
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2008
3:55 PM

Post #5452249

got2Bgreen I love the new block you received. It's so pretty in pink. Wasn't there a movie with a name something like that.
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5452666

Yep, "Pretty In Pink." I loved that movie and I love James Spader, but he sure wasn't very nice in that movie.

I received blocks from BarefootT and Psychw2 last week and I am late in posting it. Love them both! Thank you!

Here is the one from BarefootT:

Thumbnail by mgh

mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5452671

And the one from Psychw2:

Thumbnail by mgh

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5452676

Everyone's colors are so pretty. Need to locate my camera and take pictures of my blocks I have received. With all the confusion with Fay I can't remember exactly where I put it. Typical blonde I guess.
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2008
5:10 PM

Post #5452692

Here's the one I sent you, abbisgranma...hope you got it.

Thumbnail by mgh

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5452736

Yes I do like it. Now I know why it looked familiar when I saw it--Is it Antique Tile?
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2008

Post #5452773

Yep, it is. I really like that pattern.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
5:49 PM

Post #5452862

Oops!! No problem--so do I and now I have a head start on another quilt. Guess my brain was cluttered with all the storm stuff and trying to get reorganized after coming home from Moms. Looks like I have a nice start on 18 unfinished tops!! ROFLOL for sure!!!!

No wonder I fell in love with it all over again when it came.
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2008
6:58 PM

Post #5453146

I'm confused. LOL Did you already start a quilt with this pattern?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5453160

Yeap I did/have. So funny!!! I guess we have similar taste. Was actually doing that block for the swap also.!! No big deal, I have already done more. What else can one do with the weather we are having. Just hope the power stays on!!!
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2008
7:04 PM

Post #5453182

Too funny! Well, now everyone will have two blocks of the same pattern, but I bet they will look very different with different color choices. It will be interesting to see them!

I sure hope the weather gets better for you soon! Praying the power will stay on!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #5453216

Oh I am making a different pattern now. Confined to the house so am using this time to enjoy sewing. Will put others into something I am doing to keep. Just thought it was funny we selected the same pattern from all there was to chose from. Says we have good taste, don't you think? LOL
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2008
7:25 PM

Post #5453234

Oh yes, we do have good taste! You didn't have to change patterns because of that though!

Yes, all those patterns! I spent a few hours on the PC looking through them and I think I only got through d or f.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2008
9:26 PM

Post #5453714

You guys are TOO funny!!! What can I say? Sounds like I found kindred spirits!

I wish I could afford to just make the tops and hire someone else finish them. What are you guys doing with all your tops when they are done?

I am working on a number of quilts that will be donated to the Humanitarian Center. From there they will go to local shelters and overseas to those in need. I would do it full time for the joy of it if I could just afford to!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5454286

Yes I think we might just be kindred spirits. I usually give my away but since I have started them I have gained 2 granddaughter who just might get some to use.

What a lovely idea to donate the quilts. I have often thought about doing one for the Linus Project but so far haven't carried through.

Getting rough now--I don't think I will sleep much tonight.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5454445

Abbisgranma, hope fay does not get you too bad, she was in my yard last night and most of the day, lots of rain and wind, but nothing too bad, and no major damage..a few short power outages, but again nothing too bad...buuuttttt i sure did not get much sleep.. I am in central Fl. Is Havana in the pan handle? My geography is very bad.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2008
12:49 AM

Post #5454480

I am west of Tallahasse and about 4 miles off I-10 toward Quincy. It is really coming down hard now and winds rather rough--in bands.

I know there is a lots of debris down but as long as all my family is safe the other things are minor!! Son in Quincy does have trees down and no power.
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5454610

Changing the subject, I also have a huge fabric stash and I am working at JoAnn's. It is so much fun to work at a fabric store. I do manage to not bring the store home with me, but I still have a huge stash.

I give most of the quilts that I make to family members and I have also made some of them for charity.

I am like most of you also I have several projects going at one time. I find that it is more interesting to have several things going at once. That way I don't have time to get bored.

I hope that those of you in the path of Fay are okay. You could send some of the rain my way, our monsoon has fizzled out and we have not had any rain for about two weeks.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5454620

Karen, one huge rainstorm sent to you. Want the winds with it too?
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5454900

I got a wonderful block from Llilyfan today! Thank you!

Thumbnail by mgh

KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2008
2:41 AM

Post #5455033

Abbisgranma no you can keep the wind I have plenty of that all of the time, just want the rain.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2008
2:43 AM

Post #5455044

Oh surrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee Karen, you ONLY want the RAIN!!! hehehehe
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2008
3:34 AM

Post #5455266

Love those colors in that block!!
Darlinmoma
Norman, OK

August 24, 2008
5:22 AM

Post #5460002

Hi everyone, hi daughter I love you too. Yes I am very excited about all this. I have been looking at all the quilting blocks and reading some of the notes and getting some ideas. The blocks are wonderful. You people make it look so easy. your blocks are so exact and the colors are great. When I start to put the blocks and colors together they start to jumble in my head. And it is hard for me to get the exactness of the blocks to make it look smooth, and I'm not real good at math to get the blocks to come out to the exact size of 12-1/2" But believe me I am working on it. I don't give up easly.
My daughter (Tia) and I found one pattern that has worked good for us and that is the log cabin, and it is fun. And I have indevered on a patteren I found called the railroad. I am calling it the railroad to colorado. It will have all the colors of colorado. And instead of sewing the railroad 3 strips together I am using Striped material. It makes it easier, and faster. I will use white to seperate the blocks and that will repesent the snow. I am really excited about it.
I am really loving the times my daughter and I are spending our quality time together teaching each outher. I love her more that words could say.
I am dream blocks and triagles. and counting them to get to sleep. It dosen't work lol.
Yes I will be intrested to be included in any swap or whatever you are doing. It really sounds like fun and exciting. I love to sew and learn new things and meet new people. Thank you very much. DD
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2008
11:19 AM

Post #5460291

Darkinmoma - Great that you are learning to quilt. When I teach a new commer I always start them off with log cabins. They can teach you so much - cutting straight, getting a consistent 1/4" seam, and squaring as you go. And, when you are done, if they aren't all the same size, they can be trimmed and used. THere is nothing worse than making blocks and them all being different sizes when you are done.

And that ia a great rail idea. Make good use of striped fabrics!!!!

Also, I don't know how you feel about hand piecing, but that is another great way to learn to get a good 1/4" seam. After you make 12 blocks your brain is trained to know 1/4".

got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2008
4:51 PM

Post #5461308

Yipee! I got my last two blocks for this swap done, they will go in the mail tomorrow.

Abbisgranma and 2busygardening expect blocks in the next 2 or 3 days.

Darlinmoma
Norman, OK

August 24, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #5461328

Quilter thank you for the reply and support. Yes I figured out squaring as you go took me a few blocks. And still working on constent 1/4" seam. I'm thinking of putting a piece of tape on the sewing machine to help me. I have done a lot of hand sewing. Infact done some small fleece quilts. Actually they are thros. You can use them on chairs or other funiture. Toped with 2-1/2 yards 60" or wider of any real pretty material. Filled with quilting and backed with fleece, Then I hand sew the patten on the front of the quilt or do the ties with fancy thread, but never had to be exact except at corners. They make real nice christmas presents.
ps I'm not sure about my brain!!!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5461366

Qwilter, can I get with you and get the quilt block pattern posted for the easy flower basket? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5455963 Have you officially expressed an interest in the "September block swap"?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/895078/
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5463159

Hey Qwilter, did you ever get those links to open? How about you Linda? I can copy and D-mail you the directions if you haven't gotten it open.

On another note: I'm getting worried my blocks have become lost in the USPS. I've sent out 11 and have only seen three confirmed as received. May I ask if you have gotten your block to please post? (BarefootT, psychw2, & mgh have already posted). I'm also sure the one to Quelgian will take longer to arrive and it was mailed on Friday the 22nd.

Sorry to be such a pain...
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2008
12:35 AM

Post #5463180

I haven't gotten one yet.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5463293

I've been bad and have just been putting them in a pile. I know there are 7 there but do not know who they are from. Too many other things needed to be tended to. The good news is, except for putting the curtains back up, the living & dining room are back together (after 4+ months of disaray). I have 1 quilt on the frame and pieces of 2 others sitting on the sewing machine. Those 3 need to be finished before I fly out next week. It's going to be a long week!!!!

The link didn't go anywhere.
Darlinmoma
Norman, OK

August 25, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5463303

Here is one block of railroad to colorado. Please remember I am new at this. but working hard.

Thumbnail by Darlinmoma

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
1:30 AM

Post #5463429

Very nice, Darlinmoma. Love those bright colors.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #5463441

that's a great block darlin, I usually don't like striped material much, but I love those bright colors in the one you picked..
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2008
2:06 AM

Post #5463592

Qwilter, I will scan and d-mail the directions tomorrow.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2008
10:29 AM

Post #5464415

Lilli, I think I have received your block, they are up at mom's and I will try to check today to make sure.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5464944

Thanks luvs2, I better go check my stash and make sure I've let everyone know...
Darlinmoma
Norman, OK

August 25, 2008
3:49 PM

Post #5465426

Thank you qwilter and barefootT. It will be a very colorfull quilt..I will post other block.
Darlinmoma
Norman, OK

August 25, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #5465481

Hear is another block the green with snow flacks, and all of them will have the intersection with the redpokadot material is from Abbisgramma. When Tia and I opened the box we where so delited. Thank you Abbisgramma.

Thumbnail by Darlinmoma

2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2008
8:41 PM

Post #5466601

I received this beautiful block from llilyfan either Thursday or Friday I took a picture of it and had intentions of posting it. But for some reason I didn't get it done. I'm sorry llilyfan that I didn't get it posted. I know I always worry when I mail out my blocks and never hear back on them to know if they were received or not. Then maybe I posted it on the wrong thread, I have done that before.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2008
8:59 PM

Post #5466681

Darlinmoma, the striped fabric on that block is the "inspiration" piece for a quilt a friend is working on. I really like the colors.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5467771

I'm sorry all if I sounded like I wanted you all to post a pic when you got the blocks, I know I have been remiss in posting the arrrival of a block. I was just hoping we could all pop in for just a second and say something like "got so and so's block today" .

I mailed some out on the 11th of the month and I still didn't know if they had arrived or not.

I'm sometimes a little short when I get home from work in the evening and it might come through in my posts once in awhile, please bear with me.
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5467980

Darlinmomma,

Your quilt is going to be very nice when you get it done. I like the way that you are using the stripped material.

Hey everyone, sorry about not posting that I have received blocks. Have been very busy at work as we are getting ready for inventory and we have to do all the prep work before the company doing the actual counting comes in next week. Also my daughter has had some very serious problems that I have had to help her with the last week. I am home from work the next two days, so I intend to post pictures and get caught up on lots of things.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2008
2:59 AM

Post #5468370

How is everybody doing with sewing their blocks? Anybody concerned that life is creating some unexpected complications? Does anyone need help? Its still early, more than a month until the deadline. If you expect you have a problem, please dmail me. ~ Pat
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
3:09 AM

Post #5468407

I think I'm OK, plan on mailing my last 2 on Wednesday. Everything is a little wild here at home and work, so I'm glad I got them finished early.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2008
4:10 AM

Post #5468614

Ain't it the truth! I'm so proud of you Lilly! You and I have battled for last place on getting blocks out before on other swaps. WE WERE EARLY THIS TIME!!! yipppeeeeeee
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2008
9:36 AM

Post #5468926

I plan to take last place this time!!!!! As long as I get back from my trip on 13 Sep, I should be able to get them done by 1 Oct. Of course, if I get stuck staying longer, I may have to ask for an extension.

All have a great day...
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
12:36 PM

Post #5469357

Yeah, and it feels GREAT!!!!!!!!! For sure I'm not stressing over the deadline this time :-)
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2008
1:03 PM

Post #5469426

llilyfan I think I can speak for everyone here, that it eases our minds when we hear that our blocks have been received by the individual that we mailed them to. I know it does mine. Like you said they don't have to post a picture but just come in a acknowledge that they did receive the block. I posted a picture of the one you send me simply because I think it was a very nice block, and I wanted to share it with everyone.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5469594

Thanks Linda, I know what I meant and what you said was what I meant...and now that I've dug my hole even deeper I'm going to go sew abbisgranma's block!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2008
1:57 PM

Post #5469623

Sorry ladies, loads happening here within the past few days. I have received blocks from : mgh, psychw2 and 2 pugdogs. I promist to post as soon as I return for the trip that has become necessary to make. Not a pleasant one but one all of will do sooner or later. Happy sewing.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #5469843

You've been given a plateful lately abbi, sure hope everthing goes well.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2008
4:10 PM

Post #5470146

I TOTALLY understand, and I just forgot to say I received mine. I have my youngest daughter and her BF that I adore and of course my grandson here and I have been spending time with them and mom and somewhere in there I get to spend QT with my man. Again I am so so so sorry. Plus we have a B-day party to plan for Dylan the big 5 this sunday.

llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #5470601

luvs2, I tend to forget family things...we are empty nesters. We both work and have other activities that keep us pretty busy, so when we come in for the night we like to pop in to our favorite sites and relax for a few minutes before supper and so forth.

Our youngest grandson will be turning the BIG 5 in October, so we will be having a party then.

I think the first and second mailings of mine have been recieved and acknowledged, so now I can finish up got2Bgreen's and abbigranma's blocks. I am planning on mailing them tomorrow.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2008
11:07 PM

Post #5471585

karenarizona, funny you mention inventory, mine was today!!! so my last week has been crazy, the next few days will be too. Doing count re-checks, and changing the computer system to reflect correct numbers..I have been getting home from work, eating, a shower and bed, up to work...etc..

.I have thurs off then sat and sun. so I hope to do a lot of catch up. I have a few blocks done, not sent out, and some cut, just need to sew . I should be fine with deadline on this one.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5472081

I have received blocks from:
mgh
psychw2
2busygardening
2pugdogs
got2bgreen
llilyfan

They are all great...
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2008
1:12 AM

Post #5472187

I have been sewing on my blocks today. I had one that I still had to cut, hadn't cut it because I needed to get some fabric and wash and dry it. Did that and got it cut this am and then did some other things and have been sewing this afternoon. I will not have any trouble meeting the deadline for this swap.

barefootT I hear you, I will be glad when a week from Wednesday comes and goes. That is the day that the inventory company comes and does there thing. We are coming along very well getting everything ready just makes for long days.
Quelgian
Ottawa
Canada

August 27, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5472864

I've gotten several that I haven't acknowledged. I do apologize. My work place moved (physically) leading to very long days. Packing, moving, unpacking. Then I went on vacation. (Thank God! cause by then i really needed one.) Then I had one niece and 2 nephews with birthdays all in the same week.

Anyway things are back to "normal" now.

I have received blocks from:
mgh
2pugdogs
Got2Bgreen
2busygardening

They are all so beautiful. I love all the fabrics people have chosen.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #5472959

Uh oh... you have not received the one I sent you Quelgian? It had little dots of color on black background for one fabric, another was turquise with random "tiny splashes" of purple and more. I can't remember for sure the 3rd fabric.
Darlinmoma
Norman, OK

August 27, 2008
4:37 AM

Post #5473039

Thank you everyone for your reply on my block. I see I need to watch out for the railroad track I don't want any derailments. It should be easy with the strips. I love colors.
Tia and I are almost ready to send out blocks. With all our practice we have a lot to add to our colection.
Quelgian
Ottawa
Canada

August 27, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #5473860

sorry psychw2, not yet.
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2008
2:48 PM

Post #5474057

I have received some very beautiful blocks from the following people:

2busygardening
got2Bgreen
mgh
psychw2
llilyfan
barefootT
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5474480

Well, she who screams the loudest has been naughty! I went through my blocks this morning to make sure i had posted them all or at least acknowlegded their arrival, and what did I find? But a beautiful block from psychw2! Go ahead beat me with a fat quarter...but I get to keep it!

Thumbnail by llilyfan

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #5474537

Quelgian, then I am worried. You should have had it by now... I am headed out of town and will be back in one week. IF you have not received it by the time I'm back, I guess I'll have to sew another one & send it. Oh well...
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2008

Post #5474601

It does take quite awhile to get to Canadian addresses from the US, don't panic yet Pat.
Darlinmoma
Norman, OK

August 27, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5474635

llilyfan your block is so beautul. I love the colors and shapes. I can't wait to get as good as psychw2.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #5474647

I'm one lucky girl ain't I! I am just so happy to be in these swaps, I think I have grown as a seamstress for quilting so much faster than i would have on my own. You will grow quickly also, it just can't be helped. :-)
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2008
6:46 PM

Post #5474924

I have received blocks from the following. I will post names now and post pictures later.

llilyfan
2pugdogs
Got2BGreen
Mgh
2busygardening
psychw2

Thank you one and all the blocks are beautiful and are going to make a beautiful fall quilt.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #5475276

Heading to the PO with my last 2 blocks. These are for abbisgranma and got2Bgreen.
Quelgian
Ottawa
Canada

August 28, 2008
11:55 PM

Post #5480438

okay, today I got on from Lilyfan and one from psychw2.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2008

Post #5480683

Oh goodness I do know there will be some relieved ladies, it does take a while to get mail to Canada. I am ready to mail my blocks out.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #5483874

I started getting fabrics together last evening. The remanants of Fay are now here and are expected to hang around for another day. So, if it is raining, there is a good chance I'll be sewing.

Also, JoAnn's has all batting 50% off this weekend and then there is a 10% off the order coupon.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5486639

Gotta love a cool & rainy Saturday. I got the laundry going and then started pulling out more fabrics. I now have 10 blocks cut and ready to sew. Decided to take a brunch break and chat with DH a bit. I have to be extra nice to him this weekend so he will get the blocks mailed off while I'm gone. Since he has the PO software and a scale, he can do the mailing the techy way!!!!
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5486646

that is kewl he can do that.
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #5489386

Another beautiful block by llilyfan for me!

Thank you!

Thumbnail by got2Bgreen

2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2008
1:26 PM

Post #5490133

WOW That is one beautiful block. I really love the colors. llilyfan you do a great job on picking out colors that go together so will.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5490667

Lilly does have a great eye for color AND does a nice job of sewing!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2008
1:17 PM

Post #5493537

I have finished blocks for:
psychw2, mgh, 2busygardening, Quelgian, Lillyfan, barefootT, Karen, luvs2garden2000, & Taters55

This block works great used as the sole block in the quilt. The color placements give the perception of many different blocks. As a single block, you loose that. I think some blocks would have looked better with different fabric placement. Live & learn. For the ones I still have left to do, I'll know I have to think "single" block as opposed to overall design.

DH has "volunteered" to mail them out for me. If you don't see them by the end of the week, you will know he got "distracted".

OK, the sewing is done so now I need to move on to the other 87 tasks for today.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5494248

What beautiful colors in the block lilyfan. I returned from my brother's funeral in Canada last night, exhausted!!! My blocks should starting going in the mail by the 8th of September. Was hard to concentrate the past few weeks with everything spinning out of control with Fay, etc.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2008
6:58 PM

Post #5494810

I'm glad you're back home and please accept my condolences for your brothers passing. I'm sure that "Fay" just added to an already stressful time.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2008
10:54 PM

Post #5495653

Marion, So sorry to hear about your brother. My thoughts are with you hunny. Glad you had a safe trip. Welcome home from me and mom, I am sure she will chime in here this evening.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2008

Post #5496178

My deepest sympathy on the loss of your brother. Glad to know you are home safely.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #5496431

Thank you everyone. It was a bittersweet trip and with Fay doing her visit, just a little more than I needed at that time.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5509461

For those of you iching for ANOTHER swap that you choose your own colors AND your own pattern to sew, October swap is for YOU!!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/899846/
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #5512487

Sent dmail to Quelgian for addy, if anyone knows it could you send it to me please.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 5, 2008
7:44 PM

Post #5512668

I just did! lol
Darlinmoma
Norman, OK

September 5, 2008
10:30 PM

Post #5513182

Hi all, I got this block from Qwilter today. It is beautiful!!!!!!, I love all the blocks I have been given. I wil post pictures of all the others I have I am at moms and I HATE her computer.

Oh BTW this is Tia, Luvs2garden2000.

Thumbnail by Darlinmoma

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5513460

Luvs2garden- So glad you like it. I was worried I should have switched the red ^ gold to make it look better.
Also glad to see DH did indeed mail them!!!!

And as i was roaming around Korea yesterday darn if I didn't find a quilt fabric shop. The fabrics were pre-cut to 2 yds and wrapped. I only got 1 piece to make sure it waould be good quality. I'm pleased report it is so that of course means I will NEED more.

They are the same brands we have in the US but the prices are very "nice". I have heard that most are made overseas and I thin I now know where a few are milled.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2008

Post #5513532

Oh heavens no I love it just like it is. Yes hubby did good at mailing. Dang I need to go to Korea and get fabric, wait it would cost for the plane trip and then... well Ok Hancocks it is for me.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #5515997

llily, that block you did for got2b is fantastic, I had a tough time choosing fabrics on the one I am doing in pinks, and red roses, hope she like my final choices...

I received a similar block, as luv2, from qwilter, it too is fantastic...

I mailed out two more blocks on friday, some more should go out next fri/sat I hope, VERY crazy work schedule this week.
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5516037

Good morning everyone,

Just want everyone to know that all of my blocks are going in the mail this am except for Quelgian, I can't find her in the address exchange, so if anyone has her address would you please dmail it to me. So everyone can start looking for you block next week.

I received a beautiful block from Qwilter yesterday. Will post picture in next couple of days.
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5516478

Karen, you have dmail.
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #5517013

mgh
Thanks so much
KarenofArizona
Tucson, AZ
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5517673

Quelgian your block will be in the mail tomorrow or Monday depending which day I get out. I got your address from another member of the swap.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5518604

Barefoot, you should have seen my poor DH ferrying bolts of fabric back and forth to the racks until I got the combo I was happy with...what a dear soul he is! Did I mention I was shopping for 12 different combinations of fabric...and he has stayed married to me through all of this!

THANK YOU QWILTER!!!!! Got your beautiful block today. What more could a person ask for, a day spent with lily friends and then come home to find a quilt block in your mail box, a perfect day!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2008
6:59 AM

Post #5519339

llilyfan - I'm so glad you like it!!!! I always worry that others won't have my "taste".

And I must appologize to all for not posting pics of the blocks I have received. I've just been so rushed with work and getting ready for this trip. I did manage to put them all in the same location and promise to get photos when I get back home. And I do still have a few blocks to make.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2008
7:19 PM

Post #5521026

Sounds like you guilters are all just chugging along! I've seen some beautiful blocks here and I'm interested to get them all rounded up. GREAT job ladies!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2008
8:06 PM

Post #5521208

llily, my DH does the same for me...he helps with color selection when I'm stuck, and always goes to the fabric store with me...of course he KNOWS I am a much happier person when I have had some quilting time,,just stitch all your cares away...works wonders for me..A new joannes store just opened near us. He even braved the crowds, so he could use an extra 50% off coupon for me!!! Now thats a keeper ;-}
Quelgian
Ottawa
Canada

September 7, 2008
8:37 PM

Post #5521286

Sorry, I have been having trouble with my computer and haven't been on line.

I have replied to all the dmail.

I have finished 8 blocks this weekend and will mail them all tomorrow. Everyone should have them in about a week.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2008
10:02 PM

Post #5521530

Barefoot that's great, yes, another keeper! Mine helps me out when I stumble abit at some of the shades, he's not at all color blind and I have some trouble in the soft subtle shades of blue and green. I'm not really color blind, but they seem to disappear into each other and I can't tell where one begins and the other ends. He has his obsessions also...
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5521786

For now I do all my sewing up at moms. My Dh has not even laid eyes on the blocks mom and I are doing or the ones we have received. But I do know he will love them once they are all together, I picked the fall colors for him. I can make our bedroom any color I want it but I choose fall colors for him, but the rest of the house is my "girlish" colors. He dont mind at all.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 7, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5521874

he sounds like an Angel, a real trooper that gives great support!
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #5521887

he is getting there, he will look in my flower beds and ask what this or that is and say it is pretty. Our house needs revamped and I plan on doing it this winter.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2008
1:54 PM

Post #5528802

OOOh LA LA what a beautiful block Barefoot!

I will try to get pictures of the last 2 I have received and post them today if possible.

Is it possible to get a part 3?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 9, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5529189

Per your request! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/901374/

Never feel like you have to wait for me if a thread gets too long, just go ahead and make a new thread. PLEASE make the heading in the same format so it's obviously an extension of the earlier ones.
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2008
4:13 AM

Post #5611665

Finally got out of the hospital today. But still in no shape to do anything right know. I think I send out all by blocks for this swap if someone is missing a block from me please let me now my girl friend said she would make them for me since I am under the weather. I have no appetite and really haven't eaten to much in the last 10 days. I think I will be able to finish my block requirements and my tea towels when they are due. Surely I can't keep feeling terrible all the time.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2008
8:59 AM

Post #5611957

Linda-

So glad to hear you are home and hope tht you are soon feeling better. Rest and recover.

llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #5612411

Take care of YOURSELF FIRST Linda. We have had you in our thoughts and prayers and know that you will start feeling better soon.
luvs2garden2000
(Tia) Norman, OK
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2008
1:09 PM

Post #5612504

Glad you are home Linda. Please take care and get well. Thoughts and prayers with you Hun.
mgh
Willamette Valley, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 29, 2008
2:15 PM

Post #5612799

It's wonderful to hear that you are home, Linda! I hope that you get back to feeling well soon. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #5612855

Good news Linda, take care of yourself. My prayers are with you.
got2Bgreen
Coast range of, OR
(Zone 8b)

September 29, 2008
3:06 PM

Post #5613052

You first - blocks second! That's the rule!

Take care Linda!
2pugdogs
(Linda) Winfield, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2008
4:58 PM

Post #5613477

Thanks all. God bless each and every one of you.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 29, 2008
5:45 PM

Post #5613671

You're HOME Linda!!! I'm so glad! Thanks for posting and letting so know. Be good to yourself!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 29, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5614024

Linda, so glad to hear you are feeling better and back home. Hope the appetite returns soon.
We have been thinking and praying for you.
Please take care.
God Bless
Linda Kay

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2008
6:57 PM

Post #5622253

There's still room on this swap if anyone is interested!!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/906278/ 9 inch blocks, red, green & white & deadline is Nov 30. (And I'm not hostessing this one!)

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2008
7:06 PM

Post #5622275

Just wondering if any more have recieved my blocks I sent out last week? If not you should have them anyday. They all went out last Thursday.
LK

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2008
7:09 PM

Post #5622284

Yes! I had it right here on my desk so I would remember to tell you. Alas, it was buried under my paperwork that QUICKLY!!! LOL. Thank you, the flag print really made a bold statement and will stand out in the quilt, very NICE!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2008

Post #5623260

I got yours today taters, Beautiful!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5623585

got your block yesterday taters, it is lovely . will try to post a pic tomorrow, been crazy at work, and I've been to tired to do much of anything when I get home.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #5687353

PLEASE Speak up if you still need to mail blocks!!! We know "life happens, just let us know they are coming!

Is there a chance you counted yourself in the "total" but not the received? My records show I mailed to you ... I'm hoping you got it! I'll double check to see if you acknowledged it.

OK, Where is everybody on blocks? HAVE YOU GOTTEN ALL YOUR BLOCKS? Have you mailed all your blocks? Speak up if you still need to mail some!!! I highly recommend you each leave feedback for each other, it will help in making decisions about future swap members!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2008
2:34 AM

Post #5697468

O.K. wrong thread. I am in the October Quilt Block Swap and this is the Fall Block. Got them mixed up. Sorry to confuse you girls. Wish I was getting 12 block; yours look great, but NOT.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America