Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Tropical Fruits: Mango Blues

Communities > Forums > Tropical Fruits
bookmark
Forum: Tropical FruitsReplies: 6, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gopita
Jupiter, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 10, 2008
6:59 AM

Post #5393830

My Mango tree produced no fruit this year. The tree is about 12 years old and we've lived on the property 5 years. In spite of hurricanes (3), I've had many mangoes every year except this year. It didn't even flower, hence no fruit :(

Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas?
Kalpavriksha
Sarasota, FL

August 10, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5396508

Aren't they insect pollinated? They flower in cold weather here, so are at best hit and miss. Some re-bloom if the spikes freeze. You might spread some organic sources of phosphorus and potash under the canopy around the holidays. (no nitrogen at that time!)
You can also spray copper sulfate on the foliage. Some mangoes develop scab; other types are resistant. You'd have to consult a book for that info.
Makes me wonder what's in the spray we used to use for tomato blossom set!
Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

August 12, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5401858

Lots of mangoes here last year, and very few this year, all over the island. Hmm.
gopita
Jupiter, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2008
2:24 PM

Post #5412938

Well, maybe it's the extra rain we had this past winter. I noticed we didn't have such a dry spell as in years past. Maybe the tree sat in too much water--it's near the swampy part of my yard.

http://www.bijlmakers.com/fruits/mango.htm

(Pollination by flies, hoverflies, bees. High humidity and rain will result in poor pollination. Mango trees are monoecious and self-fertile.)

The bees are on my bushes as usual, but I never noticed the insects around that tree, since it's in the back of my property. I froze one from last year, guess that will have to do. So sad :(

Thanks.

This message was edited Aug 14, 2008 10:45 AM
gopita
Jupiter, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 21, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6579658

Hurray! My mangos are back. I don't know why...

Thumbnail by gopita
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Molamola
Christiansted, VI
(Zone 11)

May 22, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6580784

Hooray!

I believe they might be bi-yearly. or something. Fikkle, anyway. I hope the BIRDS leave me a few...

Funny little quarter inch flies or bees or something buzzing the flowers early mornings. Trees blooming sporadically, nearly full sized fruits all the way to new flowers on the same tree, not only mine.

Weather's totally weird, too.

Owell!

Mm
gopita
Jupiter, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 22, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6581412

Yes Mm--I will have to patrol my mangos as well. Everyone wants them: bugs, squirrels...

I've watched this tree for six years now, and it has had fruit every year except last year. Maybe you're right: fickle.

Connie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Fruits Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tropicals: Dwarf Pomegranate Calalily 44 Jun 14, 2008 3:00 PM
My Ice Cream banana tree halo 27 Jun 7, 2007 2:41 AM
It just ain't so! :) Vee8ch 29 Sep 1, 2008 5:55 AM
Strawberry guava tropicalaria 58 Aug 21, 2011 8:27 PM
Passion Fruit dwallace59 5 Aug 24, 2007 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America