Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Rhododendrons and Relatives: Anyone know who I am??

Communities > Forums > Rhododendrons and Relatives
bookmark
Forum: Rhododendrons and RelativesReplies: 3, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jamlover
Delhi, IA

August 10, 2008
5:48 PM

Post #5395366

Thought there was probably a shrub form, but didn't see one!! Is this possibly a Rose of Sharon? Is it hibiscus related? Our neighbor has it just starting to bloom. He's 88 and his wife planted it before she passed away. He thought it was a rose, but I'm guessing Rose of Sharon.

Can anyone verify who it is? Thanks. Would love something that blooms this time of year in Iowa. Could I take cuttings to start a plant? If so, when is the best time of year to do that? jam

Thumbnail by jamlover
Click the image for an enlarged view.

claypa
West Pottsgrove, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2008
11:09 PM

Post #5410555

I can believe that's a "Rose of Sharon" / Hibiscus syriacus flower... they are blooming now. It would help to see the foliage, but maybe you can compare it with pics here:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/788/

They're easy to start from cuttings or seeds. I find seedlings in the lawn in the summertime( I'm slack at mowing the back yard)

There is a Trees, Shrubs, and Conifers forum here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/tas/all/
cat64129
(Cathy), MO

August 15, 2008
10:34 PM

Post #5419683

I have one that looks like this. Lavender Chiffon Rose of Sharon. Mine is small but the flowers look the same.
luis_pr
Hurst, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #5457903

I agree; I used to have one ROS just like that one.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Rhododendrons and Relatives Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Azaleas and Rhododendrons Pete2 47 Nov 27, 2013 1:35 PM
Encore azaleas rylaff 11 Oct 22, 2007 12:22 PM
St.Louis Rhodo Fantatic declfi 19 Aug 22, 2008 7:04 PM
Pruning Azaleas gailgalex 7 Feb 12, 2008 4:36 AM
Zone envy celt33040 8 Apr 1, 2007 6:04 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America