Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daturas: daturas

Communities > Forums > Daturas
bookmark
Forum: DaturasReplies: 27, Views: 261
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
retiredbloomingidiot
Fremont, MI

August 10, 2008
9:14 PM

Post #5396162

i am a newbee to daturas i have something growing we call moon flower, in looking at your threads it looks just like it, large white fowers that only bloom at night and are done the next day, seed pod looks like gimson weed, prickey pod about the size of a golf ball, could this be the same thing, also read is angel trumpet the same, all members of the brugmansias family?? any help would be much appreciated. thanks

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5396199

Daturas bloom facing up (unless they get too much heat, then they droop), and Brugs bloom facing down.
Dat Inoxia are pure white, and other species (Metel) are different colours

This is a Datura Inoxia

This message was edited Aug 10, 2008 3:23 PM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5396212

This is a Datura Metel Ballerina - I have ayellow, and a purple one. They're both doubles.

The seed pods are about the size of a golf ball, and all spiney.
When they burst, the seeds are ripe, and can be planted.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5396238

Mine must be the Inoxia, it's the plain white one. It's beginning to open now, I should have said "they". 2 of them will probably open tonight or tomorrow morning. I love mine!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 10, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5396750

do u have a camera so u can take a pic??
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 10, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5396794

Yes! I'll try, but I'm not to good at this! Sorry, I couldn't find it! I'll try again later, I'm not feeling to well, just got out of the hospital 2 days ago.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 11, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5396823

ahhhhhhh that's ok - you just enjoy your flowers, and take care of yourself!
Doe41
(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2008
12:05 AM

Post #5396829

ty
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2008
6:40 AM

Post #5412078

retiredbloomingidiot,

some people mistake moonflowers for datura, but there is a difference.

moonflower i had grown are flowers produce by a plant named Ipomoea alba from the Convolvulaceae family http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/893/ which is a vine.

i think what u call moonflower is Datura inoxia, from the Solanaceae family http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/355/ which grows into a bush.

although both datura and brugmansia come from the same Solanaceae family, they are two different plants or genus. rather than going into details, pls. allow me to refer to this thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/707001/ for further clarification.

all three plants mentioned; Datura inoxia, Ipomoea alba and brugmansia flowers bloom at night and the fragrance floats in the air, but during daytime, the flowers close or sometime die... depends on the intensity of the day's heat.

hope i am able to shed light with ur inquiry,
ma vie

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 14, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #5412767

MaVie - you're soooooooooo right about the intensity of the sun. Although I'm in a 'shorter summer' climate, when we have summer, the sun is very intense, and most of my dats are a one-day-only bloom. They sure love the south sun, though.

My fav dat is the Inoxia - pure white is very striking and the full bush effect fills my garden very nicely & quickly. Although the metel are doubles & triples, and give multi colouration, I guess I'm a simple purist at heart - an old fashioned gardener. I love of heritage-type blooms, and a few 'exotic' flowers. I know you don't think of dats as exotic, but in Canada, they surely are!
retiredbloomingidiot
Fremont, MI

August 22, 2008
12:47 PM

Post #5451317

Thanks ma vie for all the info, mine does only last one day when it is above 80 but sometimes on cool days 70 it stays open longer, thanks for all the info on toxicity(sp) i have 4 grandsons that love looking at plants will keep them away.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

October 22, 2009
8:07 AM

Post #7196280

Here is my surprise. You all know that Daturas (sometimes called trumpet or moonflowers) don't come true from seed if more than one variety are grow.

Several years ago, I grew both Datura inoxia and Datura metel 'Yellow Ballerina" at the same time. I collected the seeds from Ballerina. The Ballerina seeds I purchased from Parks Seeds so they were "pure". Now wish I had from inoxia to see what plant that would have produced.

Anyway, 3 years ago I started seeds from Ballerina. To my surprise, I got a yellow moonflower/trumpet flower with the same purple stems as Ballerina. The flowers were lilke inoxia except yellow. Also more scented than Ballerina and to me, prettier. The center of the flower has a unfolded petal. This year I started the same seeds and got the same plant. It's now Daura inoxia x metel.

Below is the cross of the 2 taken Sept. 12, 09

Thumbnail by blomma

sawpalm
Winston Salem, NC

May 29, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7841194

Do Datura like full sun? I have a transplant sitting in a pot which has grown very little since I got it about a month ago. Some of the leaves turned yellow and dropped off. Could it be too much water or.what...I fertilized it once but maybe I need to do it again. Your thoughts?...
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2010
8:51 PM

Post #8093843

How do you harvest seeds from the Datura Inoxia? After the blooms, is that where the seed pods set on? I saw a couple posts about a spiny golf ball shaped pod. How long doe it take these to develop and get to where they burst?

Thanks for any help!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2010
9:55 PM

Post #8093991

Crit - when the seed pods (the spiny thingies) get dried, they will burst on their own, or you can pop them. It depends on how dry it is, for how long it takes to develop/pop.
I've left them on the ground where they fall, or pop on the plant. As I'm in Canada, we have pretty cold winters, and yet they self-seed the following spring, when it's been warm enuff for the sprouting.
One thing to remember - do not plant them. Putting them into the ground just delays them terribly. They will sprout on top of the soil when it's warm enuff. I learned that 2 summers ago when suddenly I have 50 small plants in a tiny area. I was giving them away!!
The difference between Brugmansias and Daturas is that Dats will self-seed, and Brugs will only grow by cuttings.
Hope this helps you, Crit!

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 11, 2010
10:00 PM

Post #8094010

These are the seedlings...
btw - to harvest them, you can either pop the spiny ball (bring it inside to dry out, if you wish), or leave it on the plant to pop itself - the seeds will scatter, which is what I did to get this many seedlings. Or, if you pop it yourself and they're dry, you can spread them wherever you want, before it gets warm. Then the sun will warm them and they'll sprout. When they sprout will depend upon the hot sun.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2010 10:01 PM

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

October 6, 2010
7:26 AM

Post #8140818

I'd wear gloves all parts of this are poison! The seed pods are wet inside won't want that on my skin

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 6, 2010
8:07 AM

Post #8140900

Yes, I realize it's poisonous, and you don't want it in a household where pets may get at the plants to chew on them - it's been known for them to go into a coma and die.

Make sure you don't touch your eyes or mouth after handling any part of the plant!!

I. however, have never had an issue with this plant, and have had it indoors and out - summer & winter, pulling leaves off as needed, and taking the seed pods apart. If you have ANY sensitivity to stuff, you Should Not Go Barehanded with this plant.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #8141778

Thanks for the info on this you all ! ! ! I'm just anxious for them to dry so I can get at the seeds. lol They are all still green and soft. May take a freeze for them to dry out. I keep the plant watered so drought isn't going to affect it. I think the frost may of bothered it the other night. The leaves are curling on it. I have been told about putting pieces of panty hose around the pod and securing it on. Then when they pop the seeds will all be contained. Has anyone done this? Makes sense. How many seed in each pod? As big as the seeds are, I can't imagine there are more than 3 or 4 in a pod.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 6, 2010
5:28 PM

Post #8141802

There are usually about 20 seeds, or more, per pod.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2010
5:42 PM

Post #8141828

My pods must still be growing then. They are about the size of a ping pong or golf ball
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

October 6, 2010
6:15 PM

Post #8141895

Thats how big they get mine did not even get that big and they split open

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 6, 2010
9:44 PM

Post #8142177

yes, that's how big the pods get, but the seeds are much smaller than you'd thought, apparently.
They're about the size of tomato seeds.
Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2010
4:44 AM

Post #8142356

That's not the type of seeds I have. They are about the size of a pencil eraser, maybe a little large. Kind of a 3 sided seed. You have to soak them then prick or break open the hard outside hull before they will sprout. Sounds like you are talking about the vining type of datura. Mine is the plant that puts out 'branches'

Thumbnail by Crit

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #8142465

there are no datura that i know that grow into a vine, most datura i am familiar with are bush type plants . datura innoxia's seeds are flat like tomato seeds like on this link http://www.uwgb.edu/BIODIVERSITY/herbarium/Vascular_plants/Misc_species/datura_inoxia_seeds01gf400.jpg

the plant in ur photo look to me like datura innoxia, but the seed is not what u describe it to be.

ur seed description sound like the moonflower that belonged to the morning glory family, not the datura family which is why it grows in the form of a vine. here is what a moon flower seed looks like http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/9251/ - similar to what u described. the Giant White Moonflower that grows into a vine is also known as Ipomoea alba http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/893/

most datura seed pods has at least 100 seeds in a pod. if memory serves me right, moon flower pod has 1 seed. i stand corrected if i made an error. it has been a long time since i planted both plants due to major illnesses

most datura seeds i am familiar w/ are mostly flat but are different in colors and sizes. hth clarify some mis-info on this thread.

datura innoxia http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=&q=datura innoxia&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=H8itTKDKEJTWtQO9qrj7Cw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CDcQsAQwAA&biw=1280&bih=477

edited to add --> i had grown all kinds of daturas, brugs. moonflower. and so many plants before i had major illnesses. it has been a habit of mine to add links to support what i speak about. if u make search on DG, u will see some photos of plants i have grown, and infos i have shared w/others.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2010 8:34 AM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 7, 2010
7:12 AM

Post #8142576

((((((((((Ma Vie))))))))))))) so long since I've seen you - how are you?
Thank you for the emails you've sent.

Yes, you're right Ma Vie - about 100 seeds, all tiny like tomato seeds! I couldn't think what the large ones were that you were talking about Crit. Also, my plants self-seed, and there's no soaking or pricking of them.
Here's my Datura Inoxia. Always pure white, and very toxic. I got 40+ seedlings from one plants, and they self-seeded.

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Crit
Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
(Zone 7a)

October 7, 2010
5:48 PM

Post #8143648

OK... my bad! I had my seeds mixed up in my head. I checked the package of the seed I was talking about, and it is Moonflower, Campanilla De Noche, Blanca. It is the vine type I was talking about. I bought the one I have now at a spring fair. Thanks for straightening me out. I tried to take a picture of the seeds, but couldn't get one that showed what they really looked like.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

October 7, 2010
8:11 PM

Post #8144094

aha - well, now the mystery is solved! Thank you for letting us know :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daturas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Attention Datura Growers... MaVieRose 137 Jul 31, 2008 4:40 AM
ID Please ...Datura Wrightii ?? judycooksey 21 Jun 4, 2008 9:37 AM
List of Datura Species Clare_CA 61 Aug 14, 2012 9:09 PM
Datura 'Black Currant Swirl'? ErickMN 20 Jul 18, 2008 3:55 PM
Pot Size Question baileykat 31 Jun 18, 2008 3:10 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America