Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato Hornworm: Bt questions

Communities > Forums > Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato Hornworm
bookmark
Forum: Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato HornwormReplies: 2, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TexasTammy
Pearland, TX

August 11, 2008
12:37 PM

Post #5398564

My tomatoes are frequently attacked by tomato hornworms. I read about using Bt, but I wasn't sure it would be effective. Doesn't it take days to work? I wondered if the worms would continue their destruction while I waited for the Bt to affect them. Also, does Bt prevent the hornwoms from attacking? I wondered if I should use it frequently to prevent the attacks -- my plants are often stripped before I realize the worms have arrived.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5398622

It won't prevent an attack. The hornworm has to eat part of a treated plant. After eating the treated leaf, they still will live for a few days, but they have little desire to eat.

Rainwater washes it off, and sunlight will degrade the Bt after a few days also. It is usually most effective when you have a great number of plants that you can't hand-pick.

It isn't like putting a pesticide on your plants. It acts totally different. It is effective on all caterpillars, so if you encourage butterfly cats, think twice about spraying it.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #5398946

Yes think before using any pesticides... our butterflies are in short supply now!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato Hornworm Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm a wimp... catmad 15 Aug 17, 2008 12:44 PM
friend or foe? depends what they munch critterologist 4 Aug 19, 2008 4:23 PM
Attack of the Tomato Hornworms joy112854 2 Sep 5, 2008 7:25 AM
Help !Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! SobeGardener 1 Apr 4, 2009 12:46 PM
BT and prevention of larvae hatching robinrs 1 Jun 15, 2011 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America