Photo by Melody

Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato Hornworm: Bt questions

Communities > Forums > Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato Hornworm
bookmark
Forum: Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato HornwormReplies: 2, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TexasTammy
Pearland, TX

August 11, 2008
12:37 PM

Post #5398564

My tomatoes are frequently attacked by tomato hornworms. I read about using Bt, but I wasn't sure it would be effective. Doesn't it take days to work? I wondered if the worms would continue their destruction while I waited for the Bt to affect them. Also, does Bt prevent the hornwoms from attacking? I wondered if I should use it frequently to prevent the attacks -- my plants are often stripped before I realize the worms have arrived.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 11, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5398622

It won't prevent an attack. The hornworm has to eat part of a treated plant. After eating the treated leaf, they still will live for a few days, but they have little desire to eat.

Rainwater washes it off, and sunlight will degrade the Bt after a few days also. It is usually most effective when you have a great number of plants that you can't hand-pick.

It isn't like putting a pesticide on your plants. It acts totally different. It is effective on all caterpillars, so if you encourage butterfly cats, think twice about spraying it.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2008
1:55 PM

Post #5398946

Yes think before using any pesticides... our butterflies are in short supply now!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! Controling the Tomato Hornworm Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
I'm a wimp... catmad 15 Aug 17, 2008 12:44 PM
friend or foe? depends what they munch critterologist 4 Aug 19, 2008 4:23 PM
Attack of the Tomato Hornworms joy112854 2 Sep 5, 2008 7:25 AM
Help !Attack Of The Tomato Hornworms! SobeGardener 1 Apr 4, 2009 12:46 PM
BT and prevention of larvae hatching robinrs 1 Jun 15, 2011 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America