Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plantbubba
Sour Lake, TX

August 11, 2008
1:27 PM

Post #5398800

Does anyone know of a cross between the hardy maypop and the tropical edulis?
Hal_
Whites Creek, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 12, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #5403953

The only one I know of that is available commercially is P. 'Byron Beauty', which is a complex tetraploid hybrid between P. incarnata, P. edulis edulis, and P. edulis flavicarpa. They cross pretty easily, although most of the hybrids are sterile.

Hal
plantbubba
Sour Lake, TX

August 20, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #5441704

Thanks Hal, I happen to have that one. Got it cause it may be hardy here in
southeast Texas. It is growing very slow but has had several blooms. I will try to
hand pollinate it just in case.
Hal_
Whites Creek, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2008
9:49 PM

Post #5448523

'Byron Beauty' is quite fertile, but is self-incompatible, and will need another compatible tetraploid for cross-pollination if you want fruit with seeds. It will often set fruit from diploid pollen, but the fruits will typically be hollow.

You can try bud-pollination, where you pry open a bud the day before it opens, and apply fresh pollen from another opened 'Byron Beauty' flower. This will sometimes by-pass the self-incompatibility and produce fruit with seeds.

My 'Byron Beauty' has several fruits on it now, using P. 'Byte' pollen. P. 'Byte' is 'Byron Beauty' x 'Temptation', and has been root hardy here the past two winters. The 'Byron Beauty' fruits are supposed to have a very good flavor.
plantbubba
Sour Lake, TX

October 12, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #5663274

I wanted to share this info. My 'Inspiration" has bloomed all summer and made alot of fruit. Today I noticed one that had started shriveling and gave it a try. It was great if you like very sweet tart type candy. It was just like the fruit from the maypop but so very sweet tart. I loved it.
I will try next summer to get me a cross between the Byron Beauty I have and the Inspiration.
Also, what is the trick to sprouting passiflora seeds?
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

October 14, 2008
1:16 PM

Post #5669728

More patience than I seem to have. LOL Have you tried soaking the seeds in orange juice?
plantbubba
Sour Lake, TX

October 14, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #5671162

I will try the orange juice soak. I tried years ago to sprout a passiflora and they never came up. Before I try to sprout these Inspiration seeds I am wondering if there is a trick to it. Like having to really clean and dry citrus seeds before planting them. Or a cool spell to break dormancy ?
Hal_
Whites Creek, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2008
8:24 PM

Post #5671183

Sprouting seeds depends on the species, but generally, you want to soak the seeds in water for 2-3 days, with 2-3 changes of water, then place in a warm location in moist soil. I have found that the seeds from the Maypops here need a cold stratification. Two months in the refrigerator (in moist soil), then moving to warmth (heating pad 80-90F), usually gives fast germination. I'm not sure if the incarnata hybrid seeds need it, but it probably would not hurt. The tropical species (most species) will not need any cold treatment. You could soak in orange juice, but water probably works just as well.
plantbubba
Sour Lake, TX

October 15, 2008
1:20 PM

Post #5673913

Thanks for the tips... I know that 'Inspiration' is a variation of 'Incense'
which I think is a incarnata-cincinniti (sp) cross. Anyone know what else they added to make it 'Inspiration'? I don't know why I am bothering to try and sprout the seeds as I have luck with cuttings using
rootone and a cloche. Maybe I just want to see if any will revert to something else.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2008
5:23 PM

Post #5704155

If the Seeds Are Fresh No Need to Soak the Seeds Just Leave some Pulp on the Seeds as you Plant . Use The Baggie Method To Sprout. I Get Many seedlings this way All So use Straight Vermiculite Paul
plantbubba
Sour Lake, TX

October 24, 2008
3:49 AM

Post #5710514

Thanks Paul, they are fresh so I will try planting them now... any idea on how long it will take a seedling to bloom?
Warren
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 24, 2008
12:41 PM

Post #5711172

Some of mine have bloomed at 8months Paul

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America