-
AuthorContent
alpinmd
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 11, 2008
3:01 PM

Post #5399220

I've been told since I was a young girl (lo' many years ago) that QAL were guaranteed to host chiggers. True/Not True? I've always been afraid to pick them (after one really itchy childhood experience).
clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #5399362

We always called QAL chigger weed, never knew the real name for it until I was around 30 and saw people have this in their flower garden. I couldn't get over them planting what I considered a weed in very nice flower beds and then there was also the chiggers to contend with. But I also saw at one of the big Lowes store a pot of vines for 25.00 that are major pain in the you know what, I would give all of mine away for free!!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5399771

One person's weed has always been another person's flower/herb/food/rope fiber, etc. I don't live where chiggers are a problem, so I am not the best one to address this question!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 11, 2008
5:25 PM

Post #5399923

In Missouri, any weed (flower) that grows tall along the roads or in un-mown fields will harbor chiggers. QAL blooms at the warmest time of year when the chiggers are at their peak.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 11, 2008
5:56 PM

Post #5400067

Thanks, Cathy. I guess. It's too bad, such a pretty flower...
clerkie56
Iberia, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 12, 2008
2:19 PM

Post #5403658

carrielamont- I always thought of QAL as a weed until I did see it in some very nice flower gardens.. I don"t mind it at all now, I think as I age what I thought of as weeds aren't so bad now , you know stop and smell the roses kind of thing!!!!!!!! I find myself noticing alot of pretty flowers in the woods and along the highways that I would not of planted in my flower beds, but now they would add just the right touch. However Virginia Creeper is not one of them, that was the vine at the big store. You are right different plants for different folks.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Euless, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 12, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #5404000

I'll second your opinion of Virginia Creeper! If you notice on the PlantFiles page, often the list of most popular plants and biggest thugs overlaps by quite a few. Again, one person's borscht is another person's beet soup. Thanks for writing.
Carrie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Story of Queen Anne's Lace Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Article jmorth 6 Aug 11, 2008 11:54 PM
Article DriftingDude 1 Aug 11, 2008 12:32 PM
How to use QAL in flower arrangements ScotDeerie 1 Aug 11, 2008 12:45 PM
I love them too! davis1676 1 Aug 11, 2008 1:50 PM
Apiaceae = Umbelliferae LariAnn 10 Jul 30, 2009 4:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America