Question on gourd durability

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Does anyone know how long a cut gourd will last outdoors, in contact with the ground? I had a brain storm (or perhaps a brain f@%*) and want to build a toad condo out of a few of them. I had to disturb a bunch of toads and frogs when I moved some wood by the fence, and when I apologized I promised them I would provide a home for them when I was done.

What I'm thinking is cutting the bottoms off so they'll sit flat (and let the amphibians have a dirt floor), and cutting "doors" near the bottom, and just setting them together on the ground, buried a little for stability, right along the fence. (And yes, I'll probably make one great big one and call it Toad Hall.) But I don't want to do it if they will rot within a few months, you know?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!