Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: A Star Trek Garden: very cool trekkie Lilies

Communities > Forums > Article: A Star Trek Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Star Trek GardenReplies: 0, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
myplantseven
Fort Myers, FL

August 11, 2008
10:57 PM

Post #5401259

I liked the Day Lilies Photo's names as well as the Lilies form and colors and Garden theme,
I am a Nurseryman and Plant collector First, But a Big fan of Star Trek movies and all 5 Series,Star Wars and all around SciFi fan, books,TV and movies but not memorabilia, I 've never done Sci-Fi costumes or clubs or Games other than Dungeon's and Dragons 25 years ago,With fellow Horticulturists from Yoder Bros in Alva, Fla. I am more the Bromeliad ,Tropical Hybrid Hibiscus,Adenium (Desert Rose),Tropical Croton,Fern,and Orchid club type,
As unless you are a writer or Artist you can't grow more SciFi at home!!, except maybe costumed sexual propagation of little trekkies to help in the garden, or tear it up!!!.
But nothing was said about what type of day lilies the Star Trek hybrids are ??? were they very hardy northern dormant types, semi-evergreen or evergreen.The now bland Stella De Orro dies here. A friend in Labelle ,Fl Zone 9 A-to-B only 30 miles NE away inland from me has better luck with day lilies and did hibridize them , he told me stick to evergreen or evergreen dominant semi-evergreen types here.
I live in SW Florida zone 10 A, warm to hot mostly, down to 32o once or twice a year, 27degrees F rare winters 1989 was our last bad one.and dry late winters and spring ,to hot wet summers very Rainy 70 inches per year near the Gulf of Mexico and 1/4 to 1/2 mile from a mile wide River and I grow more tropical plants.
At present I have only an old double orange dayliliy dug up near Monticello,Fla Zone 8, about 7 or 8 years ago where my Moms family is from. Most daylilies seem shortlived here, Mine and my fathers before me all died, except for my double orange which blooms maybe every 2 years or so maybe 2 years in a row last time,that could be my fertilizer analysis or timeing of application and leaf fungi and root knot nemitodes and root fungi are troublesome here, also the Orange would have died too, without TLC and my chemical knowlage of commercial fungicides.
best wishes Craig

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Star Trek Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Star Trekkie Garden! HORSEWOMAN3D 8 Jul 31, 2009 10:28 PM
How cool is this? grampapa 0 Aug 4, 2008 1:29 PM
What a Coincidence! PrimroseSue 0 Aug 4, 2008 2:06 PM
My Star Trek garden redunicorn 5 May 26, 2013 5:54 AM
Trek Flowers thewoodlands 0 Aug 6, 2008 2:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America