Photo by Melody

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Book Idea!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 20, Views: 113
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

August 12, 2008
8:28 PM

Post #5405114

Now, this might be a crazy idea...but, has anyone here ever thought of writing a book? We have so many great ideas it would probably be a best seller! Just thought I'd toss it out there to see what everyone thought...

Steven
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

August 15, 2008
1:40 AM

Post #5415755

Interesting idea Steven! I'm not very good with words, would this book have pictures?!

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #5416133

Yes, we could call it the Flowerpot Cafe :) Have ideas for floral designing, recipies, stories from the cafe...and of course ;) all the ideas would be from us!!!

Steven
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

October 11, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5657403

Don't forget about the tales from down under!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 1, 2009
5:59 AM

Post #5950629

Happy New Year Steven!
karmaplace
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2009
1:24 PM

Post #5988301

I'm waiting on this book, since I've missed a lot of the flowerpot fun.
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 13, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6000718

Hope I'm not cutting in here, but I think Steven has a wonderful idea. And I believe there is a market for a book like this. Shop it around to publishers who do this sort of book. And that it 'stems' from a virtually real place, the Flowerpot Cafe and is spiced with stories and quips from real people, will make it very appealing.
Kudos to Steven!
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 13, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #6001982

Hey Plantgeek!!!! You could write it, you're a wizard with words!!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 14, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6002450

I'd be happy to help with the editing and such, write a funky forward that tells everyone who we are at the most esteemed Flower Pot Cafe. Pics and arraingments are someone else's job and y'all do very well at it. Mine may be too weird, scare away customers. lol

We could all write quotes and quips about ourselves, flowers, ect., place them cleverly here and there. Then, whomever does a pic can write something to go with it. The Cafe come to life! I think it would be fun if we could pull it off.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 19, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6024631

Nice one Plantgeek! Your ideas sound great.
We haven't heard from Steven in a while, hope he is in good health.

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6053235

Hi All! I'm doing not too bad here. We've actualy had some sun here the past few days which always makes me feel better :) Winter can be SOOO depressing!

Anyways...We could all pitch in with pics and arrangments! Terri always has very nice magazine quality designs and mine are usually just made from random flowers around the garden , Sue always has nice tropical blooms and Candee comes up with those really nice larger arrangments. I know theres more of us in the Cafe so sorry if I missed your name! OH! And Zany has that nice wall art she makes too!

We should keep disscussing this!

Steven
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 27, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6058947

ohhhh magazine quality eh???? hey hey hey, thats so cool, Thank you Steven!
Nice you popped by to say hello, been missing you. You will be most welcome to join the Chinese New Year celebrations, we have a banquet of dishes to make!

Plantgeek, we need you to come back and talk to Steven about this book idea!!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 27, 2009
10:21 PM

Post #6059109

Oh, your welcome Terri! What sort of dishes are you making?

If the book idea becomes reality I think it would be a hit!!! Where are you Plantgeek???
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 27, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6059238

Never fear, Plantgeek is here. Screeeeeeeeeeech... clang...bang...thunk.
Whoa, guess I better cut back on those bourbon balls. hehehehe

So, I think this is a wonderful idea, but how to put it together when we are all so far apart?
I'm no computer whiz. In fact, I'm in the kindergarten level of tech. I only know that blackberries are good for eating and have just recently learned that zip drive doesn't mean a lack of interest in sex. I won't be of any help with the logistics. However, I can scope out publishers, make suggestions about the process of getting a book ready for publishing, contribute to the writing and editing. I think those are my strengths in this project.
Perhaps before we get really serious about this, we may be on better footing if we look at how practical it is for us to put a book together. Can we actually do this without being physically on the same page? I leave this question up to those who are computer geeks, not plant geeks.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 28, 2009
1:02 AM

Post #6059756

Hi Steven, well, so far I've made...

Spring rolls
Birds nest soup
Prawn crackers, would you like one? Here's me bringing a chinese take away to you!

Thumbnail by terriculture
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2009
3:18 AM

Post #6065158

Ooo, those look really good Terri! thanks :)

Hmm...I'm not a computer geek either...but I think that it's possible to put a book together via internet. We'll have to get everyones oppinions to see who's willing to contribute photos, ideas, ect, ect, ect...
I think photos and ideas would be the easiest part sice we have lots of those.
But then there the legal aspect too...we'd have to get something copyrighted so nobody can us. Does anybody know if we would we have to sign contracts???
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 29, 2009
5:37 AM

Post #6065552

Yummers Terri! Thanks. Hits the spot as always.
Steven, experience with getting my own books published through a subsidiary publisher allowed me the option to either let the publisher take care of the copyright paperwork for a fee, or I could do it myself much cheaper. I also had to pay for an ISBN number. The copyright on the text is mine soley, the pics are the sole property of the photographer who is also listed on the copyright form as would be any other contributer. If there are multiple authors, each would be listed on the form. Anyone can get the form online thru the Library of Congress website. Just give it a Google. After a run of books are printed, a copy and the form and the fee ($45.00) is sent to the Library of Congress.
I'll have to do some checking, but it's my understanding that big publishers will want to take care of all of this. I think we need a big publisher, especially since we have an international cast.
One other legal thing, if we use this website to put this book together on, would we still have exclusive rights or would Dave's Garden be included. And does anyone wish or not wish to include them? If not, how in the heck are we going to communicate? Personaly, I have no qualms about mentioning DG. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't even be having this discussion, let alone getting to know all the wonderful folks here, things learned.
But, as I'm no lawyer, I have no idea if DG being in the picture would inadvertently complicate matters.

One option is to get a literary agent. Good ones get paid when the author gets a deal.
Another route to consider is to go fishing ourselves with a copy of Poets and Writers Market. I'm sure Canada, the UK and Australia have a similar book.
So what country do we want to publish in? Which has the biggest market for our particular book? Gets complicated, doesn't it. ;)

First, we have to have something to present to an agent. Right now, all we have is a great idea. I think we need to bring folks over to this thread to see if there is an interest, then discuss how to make this happen. What do y'all think?

terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6068499

Hi Steven and Plantgeek, Glad you enjoyed the snacks, while chewing over this book idea.
I wish I could be of more help, suggesting stuff but I really don't have a clue how to even get started!
I don't know how to link, cut and paste or any of that on the computer! It takes me forever to type, but I do know how to upload photo's!
plantgeek88
Louisville, KY

January 30, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6070633

Terri, that's about my speed too, except I still don't know how to do the photo thing. Seems that between the three of us, we are dead in the water. Unless someone else is interested in doing this and has the skill for it, we may as well chuck this wonderful idea.
Steven, it really is a shame to not go any further with this, but I don't think it can be helped. I'm open to suggestions and would still like to continue, so if anyone can see a way for it, lets do it.
terriculture
london England
United Kingdom

January 30, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #6071285

The great thing about DG is that you just never know who might pop in!
next day, next week , next month ... next year ... LOL!
SW_gardener

(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6071855

I'm sort of out of ideas myslef...we need someone to come along with lots of great ideas!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America