Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Hardy Deciduous Shrubs with Colorful Foliage: Part 1 - Golden Foliage: Colorful shrubs and birds

Communities > Forums > Article: Hardy Deciduous Shrubs with Colorful Foliage: Part 1 - Golden Foliage
bookmark
Forum: Article: Hardy Deciduous Shrubs with Colorful Foliage: Part 1 - Golden FoliageReplies: 3, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5406757

Of all the colorful shrubs you wrote about which ones would be most attractive to birds and other wildlife? I like the idea of planting plants that support the wildlife in my area in particular birds since I live in a particular area of Illinois that protects certain rare bird species.
BTW: Love the shrub articles-very informative! Thank you!
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2008
9:49 AM

Post #5407406

Glad you are enjoying the articles!

Among the best would be Sambucus as birds love the berries. Spirea are the best for bees and butterflies. Weigela are the best for hummingbirds.

Cheers,
Todd
ColorFastBear
Bellevue, NE

September 14, 2010
4:48 PM

Post #8099407

I have recently retired and am now REALLY getting into gardening. Since I live just southeast of Omaha, and most gardening tips seem to target the 6-7 zone, I really, really enjoy your more northern articles. I'm interested in planting Elderberry as I'm also an enthusiastic birder and want to provide the birds with food. So I'm hoping for some guidance with a few questions. 1.) Which Elderberry tree would you suggest for my area (Bellevue?) 2.) Years ago my Grandfather made a small amount of Elderberry wine each year. Which type of Elderberry tree is best for this purpose?..and 3.) Do you need at least 2 trees (male and female) for the trees to produce berries...and if so, how do you determine a tree's sex? Happy gardening!

ColorFastBear
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #8106453

I'm sure any would do well in your area. I am not versed in which are the best for wine but trees are both male and female...they just prefer to cross to each other rather than to themselves so you only need to plant two bushes...you don't need to worry which are male or female as they are both!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Hardy Deciduous Shrubs with Colorful Foliage: Part 1 - Golden Foliage Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
"Tiger eyes" oriole 0 Aug 7, 2008 10:56 PM
Fungus on Golden Ninebark pdeejarvis 0 Aug 8, 2008 1:19 AM
Hardy Shrubs JCdigit 2 Sep 30, 2008 3:10 AM
I should have known: Leehallfae 0 Aug 11, 2008 12:18 PM
Those yellow shrubs need some Leehallfae 0 Aug 11, 2008 12:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America