Photo by Melody

Article: Introduction to Puyas, terrestrial bromeliads with spectacular flowers: Great Pictures

Communities > Forums > Article: Introduction to Puyas, terrestrial bromeliads with spectacular flowers
bookmark
Forum: Article: Introduction to Puyas, terrestrial bromeliads with spectacular flowersReplies: 6, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 13, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5410340

Do you know where any of these can be bought in the Los Angeles area? I've looked very casually off and on and have never seen any.

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2008
11:23 PM

Post #5410605

Every once in a while I see some for sale at Cactus and Succulent shows (big one coming up this next weekend at arboretum!)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

August 14, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5411167

O.K. We had planned to go. I'll check it out.
weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

August 14, 2008
8:16 AM

Post #5412173

Great information Geoff! Am a bromeliad fan, but haven't had the pleasure of meeting a Puya yet! Am loving the turquoise flowers! Apparently they take some time to bloom?
Thanks for the informative and pictorial article.
Sue
carrihulet
Nevada City, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #5439795

Thanks, Bob for writing about one of my obsessions. There is an incredible hillside of Puya Alpestris at the San Francisco Botanical Garden,
which is what got me totally hung up on those turquoise flowers. I'm growing Puya Bertoniana in Nevada City where it is very happy and bloomed this summer. Annie's Annuals in Richmond, CA. has Alpestris and Venusta available by mail.
carri
EASTERLEY
Auckland
New Zealand

June 17, 2009
3:35 AM

Post #6698944

I have a blue puya, which flowered two years ago, after a seven year wait. It was the most spectacular flower 6-7ft high, and made all those years weeding around it worthwhile (very dangerous!). Every summer now I wait in vain for it to flower again, and I would be interested to know if there is a pattern, as I watched a National Geo programme where they said they only flower in the Andes once every 30 years!!!!

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #6699272

They flower yearly at the Huntington... but I think each rosette is monocarpic (one flowering attempt and that's it)... one reason why they have many square yards of plants, so at least a few will flower each year.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Introduction to Puyas, terrestrial bromeliads with spectacular flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
The Blue Puya puya 1 Aug 14, 2011 10:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America