Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: Messenger. How long can it last if not opened???

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 15, Views: 207
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 14, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #5411755

I got a bunch of Messenger envelopes a couple of years ago in the "Messenger Co-Op". Paid good money for them! Now-they just sit!

So far--I have only used 2 of them. I am NOT the greatest when it comes to doing the "right thing" for my Garden--even if i consider myself a very serious gardener. I am also too busy to pay too much attention to fertilizing---spraying--treating plants with----etc. once I have planted them, I KNOW!!! I KNOW!!!!! MY BAD!!!!!

SO! Now I have ALL these Messenger envelopes sitting in my basement that I paid good $$$ for. Like---30 of them????

Questions...

1.--Will they last if I just let them be in my cool basement on a shelf?
2.--Should I freeze them? Refrigerate them? Will this make them keep their potency?
3.--What are the consequences if I just keep them as is?

I seem to be all "Gung Ho" with all the planting and gardening stuff...BUT--as the heat and the humidity and the Japanese Beatles and the Fungi take over----all I seem to be able to find time for is to just keep everything watered.
The sad part is--that I realize how negligent I am---EVERY year! HELP!!!!

Your opinions---PLEASE?????

Thanks, Gita

earthling

earthling
Rowlett, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 15, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #5416128

From Eden Bioscience...:

Quoting:As long as the packet is not open, Messenger is good for several years. Once you open the packet you should use it within 3 weeks. After you open the packet, put the opened packet in a baggie and seal the baggie tightly. No need to refrigerate it. Donít mix your Messenger with water until you are ready to use it because once it is mixed in water it is only good for the day you mix it.

catlady
Gilmer, TX

August 15, 2008
12:00 PM

Post #5417043

Thanks for asking gitagal, I have some sitting around too. Thanks for a favorable answer earthling. Sure glad to know it is still good.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #5417323

I do the same thing:) Thanks for the answer!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 15, 2008
2:40 PM

Post #5417656

Thank you earthling---
I remember all the advice from Eden as I did print it all out at the time...

I have this bad habit of getting stuff and then just putting it away somewhere and never get around to using it. This holds true in everything...as my house gets more and more full of "stuff"...The bane of my life...

Seems here in Baltimore--when the heat and humidity hit, my garden just goes to pot. The Roses all got Black Spot while I was away for 3 weeks----The Japanese Beetles ate all the blooms--Everything grew humongous---(I bet that happened because I used that Dynamite plant food when planting EVERYTHING!) and then it seemed futile to start spraying with my Messenger...My neighbors watered everything while I was gone.

I got 30 packets 2 yrs. ago...have used only 2! ...:o(

Gita
JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 15, 2008
7:14 PM

Post #5418897

Gita-

You've got a dmail...

Jan
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 15, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #5419525

Can someone tell me what "messenger" is?
JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5430590

Here's a link to "Messenger"...
http://www.edenbio.com/garden/
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #5430736

Thanks, JanLynn. Does anyone think this stuff is worth buying?
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5431149

I would say so considering how fast everyone posts orders when there is a Messenger co-op:lol:

You should look for some of the old chat threads attached to some of the previous Messenger co-ops for some of the feedback. Very helpful:) I'm like the op, not very regular about how and when I garden--kinda like how I forget to take daily vitamins 60% of the time:lol:
JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 18, 2008
5:01 PM

Post #5431215

perenniallyme---

I am very pleased with using the Messenger. I HAVE NOT seen one JB on any of the plants that I have sprayed the foliage with the Messenger (including a stray hollyhock). Approximately 5 years ago, before I started using the Messenger as a foliar spray, I tore out all my HH's because of the damage caused by the JBs...

Jan

This message was edited Aug 21, 2008 10:37 AM
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2008
8:56 PM

Post #5443067

Thanks guys, but what is JP? (Sorry, I haven't mastered your terminology yet. Only just recently learned what LOL is.)

Sharon
JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #5443147

JB = Japanese Beetles

(...not a problem asking---that's how we all learn :)

Jan

This message was edited Aug 21, 2008 10:38 AM
perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2008
12:30 AM

Post #5443980

I thought of japanese beetles, but thought they would have been JB. A whole new language I guess. Thanks, Jan.
JanLynn
(Jan) So Milw, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5446845

OOOPS!!! Sorry about that Sharon-I didn't even realize/notice my typos!!! I even had/have my "cheater" (reading) glasses on --- DUH!

perenniallyme
Jamaica Plain, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #5446999

Not a problem. I guess the new language won't be quite as difficult as I thought!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America