Photo by Melody

Article: Vermicomposting: Worm Composting Indoors, Part Two: worm castings

Communities > Forums > Article: Vermicomposting: Worm Composting Indoors, Part Two
bookmark
Forum: Article: Vermicomposting: Worm Composting Indoors, Part TwoReplies: 1, Views: 30
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vikkie
Grand Prairie, TX

August 14, 2008
4:26 AM

Post #5411923

Andrew,

I do worm composting and I have noticed that when I use my worm castings the seeds that have been in the plants that I feed my worms sprout in what ever I use my castings in. So I get tomatoes and melon plants growing every where. I have used store bought worm castings before and this did not happen. Why would it happen when I use mine but not the store bought castings? Do large worm composting operations sterilize their castings before selling them?

Or is it just because I don't sift my castings enough ?

Your suggestion about freezing the worm castings, would this prevent this from happening.

Vicki
andycdn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 4b)

August 18, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5431098

I've experienced the same thing. I just throw stuff into the bin without any processing or freezing; perhaps the commercial producers grind the food up before composting. This would break up the hard shells of the seeds so the worms could get at the insides.

When I get seedlings sprouting right in the bin, I rake them into the bedding and this disturbs them enough that they usually rot and provide more food. I never bother to sift the castings before using them.

Freezing? It might kill some seeds that are from temperate or tropical regions.

Andrew

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Vermicomposting: Worm Composting Indoors, Part Two Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dig it! debnes_dfw_tx 2 Oct 4, 2007 12:35 AM
bottom tray markhartman07 1 Oct 3, 2007 7:09 PM
boot tray ? markhartman07 1 Oct 5, 2007 5:01 PM
trying to flee!! dratacheck 1 Mar 31, 2009 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America