Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Herbs: Essential oils

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 2, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MsKatt
Mid-Michigan, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 14, 2008
7:19 AM

Post #5412105

I want to make my own essential oils, but I can't afford to invest in a still. I found this method:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/279273/how_to_make_your_own_essential_oils.html?cat=24

Have any of you made your own?
Moonpye
Paducah, KY

August 14, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5412866

*nods* The recipe this woman gives is not for essential oils, but rather for INFUSED oils. Personally, for medicinal purposes, I prefer infused oils more than essentials anyway. More often than not, you WILL NOT get the fragrance of the herb with an infused oil. You will, however, get the good stuff that makes the herb do what it does. I use infused oils in salves and as massage oils. If I want a fragrance, I have to add essential oils.

There are a few plants you can TINCTURE that will yield a strong fragrance. Lavender, for instance, will yield a tincture that smells exactly like lavender and gathers strength over time. I've used lavender tincture to scent salves, or just dabbed it on as a fragrance. : )

The truth of the matter is, there isn't really a viable way to produce even a small amount of essential oils without a). a LOT of herbal material and b). a still.

You could buy a chemistry distillation kit for about $400, but you'll only end up with a very tiny amount of oil by the end of the process.

Definitely give the infused oil a try--look up which herbs have what properties, or ask here. As I said before, an infused oil is one of the main constituents for an herbal salve, so you might consider trying your hand at that, as well!

Good luck,

-Kelsie
garden_mermaid
San Francisco Bay Ar, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5424634

Have to agree with Moonpye. The article gives a method for making an herbal "medicated" oil, meaning an herbal infused or decocted oil, not an essential oil. Using herbal oils on the skin are a common and ancient way to benefit from the healing qualities of many plant materials, but should not be confused with a true essential oil, which is only produced by about 10% of plants in existence, and takes a tremendous amount of plant material to distill a small amount of solvent like essential oil.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America