Photo by Melody

Article: Mom's Oakleaf Hydrangea: If only your mother could see mine!

Communities > Forums > Article: Mom's Oakleaf Hydrangea
bookmark
Forum: Article: Mom's Oakleaf HydrangeaReplies: 1, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5422378

We have a mutant oakleaf hydrangea: this monster persistently grows 10-12 feet tall and just as wide. Unfortunately, it was planted smack-dab next to the central heat/air unit, so it's a constant battle between (wo)man and nature to keep the shrub in bounds.

I let it grow wild and woolly last year (I tell myself it was the stress of the season, and I didn't want to add to the plant's misery.) When our A/C unit needed some work in May of this year; the A/C guys took one look at the shrub and advised me I could either pay them to trim it, or pay for a second trip charge after I had it trimmed. Neither of those options sounded good, so I told them to hang tight for a few minutes. Then I and my loppers set in to giving it an emergency hair cut. When all was said and done, I hauled off nearly as much as I left growing. Can you say "hack job"? For certain, no one is going to hire me as an arborist or let me near their head with a pair of scissors!

But...the plant is a vigorous grower, so it's now busily filling in all the gaps I created a few months ago. Hopefully your mother's plant was of similar "sturdy" stock and responded with lots of new growth ;o)
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

August 16, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #5422546

Oh, how funny! Mom's plant must have been just as sturdy, because when I was back there a few years ago, that crazy bush was nearly as tall as the house and in full bloom. When Kay gave me these little starters a few weeks ago, I decided I would put them in the least likely place of destruction. The only thing they can overtake is my bedroom window, maybe.

I think yours will very likely fill in before you know it. I'll be sure to not call you when mine needs trimming.

Fun to hear from you, thanks for the chuckle.
S

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Mom's Oakleaf Hydrangea Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Injustices of childhood 4paws 1 Aug 16, 2008 4:05 PM
Too funny! postmandug 1 Aug 16, 2008 4:06 PM
oakleaf hydrengea blooms iamkaym 8 Aug 17, 2008 6:03 PM
utterly charming gloriag 1 Aug 16, 2008 8:36 PM
Very cute story! jeffinsgf 1 Aug 17, 2008 2:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America