Photo by Melody

Caudiciforms: Does anyone like adeniums?

Communities > Forums > Caudiciforms
bookmark
Forum: CaudiciformsReplies: 13, Views: 341
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 17, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5428470

I took a few photos at the inter-city C&S show and sale earlier today. I know some of you are big on Adeniums and thought you might enjoy this Pic's. It is not my plant. I wish it were.

Thumbnail by Dlmcgrw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

zacattack
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 17, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5428538

NIce plants... Thanks for sharing the photos.

Dan
AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2008
4:57 AM

Post #5429833

Wow. I can hardly believe looking at those that they are adeniums.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 18, 2008
5:45 AM

Post #5429918

OMG!
Outstanding examples!
Thank you for sharing
Now I have a few ideas lol!
allgr8dogs
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 18, 2008
11:06 AM

Post #5430095

Thanks for posting pics of these awesome adeniums!!!
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2008
5:36 PM

Post #5431357

Since you guys liked seeing the plants I posted another view.

Thumbnail by Dlmcgrw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AnalogDog
Mountlake Terrace, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 18, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #5431556

That's a nice caudex! This pic is just what I wanted to see. Curious, though, did the other two plants have natural looking caudexes? Or did they appear sculpted? The picture appeared to me to be sculpted, but I did not know if Adeniums could take that.
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #5432278

Analogdog, I am not sure I know what you mean by sculpted. but I can say they did not look scarred or like they had been carved on. The caudex and roots that were showing were smooth and natural looking if that helps answer your question.

AND it is the same two plants in both pictures. Just taken from opposite directions. The bloom color difference is because I am a very amature photographer. Out of the 2,000 Plus or minus plants on display I only took about 60 photos. My brain was on overload from being exposed to so many great plants.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2008 1:22 PM
ashjuniper
Austin, TX

August 18, 2008
10:04 PM

Post #5432495

Wonderful Adeniums---they make such excellent bonsai. I love good plant shows.
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2008
8:21 PM

Post #5437535

Wow, I loved seeing those specimens! Loved seeing those spectacular caudices (or is it caudexes). - Lynn
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2008
6:21 AM

Post #5440197

Those look quite old too.
Id guess no less than 8 years on the taller one.
Excellent specimen sizes.
Gorgeous.
Id buy htem both in a second.

zone10

zone10
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 22, 2008
7:04 AM

Post #5450893

Dlmcgrw ~ Great photos. Never thought of bringing my camera to the C/S show but won't forget next time. By the way, where was this show held? Did they have a plant sale? If yes, would you recommend the trip from San Diego?
Dlmcgrw
Colton, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 22, 2008
5:50 PM

Post #5452867

Zone10, The show was the annual inter-city show and sale held at the L.A. County Arboretum. I posted a heads up about a week in advance. It is advertized as the WORLDS largest C.& S. show and sale. Yes, there was a pretty impressive sales area. I thought some of the plants were a little pricey, but then I am a bargain hunter. A big vender from Las Vegas was offering going out of business prices on their stuff.

I would recommend anyone who loved C. & S., living within 100-200 miles make the drive. My mind went into overload shock and I found myself ignoring spectacular plants because there were others more spectacular nearby.

I have more photos but I am not sure it would be right to take up DG space with them. If you go to the Gates Cactus and Succulent Society web site. The club newsletter which is called Open Gates has a dozen or so more photos which you could peruse.

By the way I have driven to San Diego the last two years for the show and sale in Balboa Park and found it to be a great show and terrific venue.

This message was edited Aug 22, 2008 9:54 AM

zone10

zone10
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 22, 2008
6:51 PM

Post #5453121

Dlmcgrw ~ Sure wish I had paid more attention to your heads-up. I'm definitely going to make the next show in LA. I agree, the C/S show here in San Diego is nice and grows larger each year. They actually hold two sales, one in winter and a larger one in summer.

The venue in Balboa Park (Casa Del Prado), is home to many other plants shows as well. Just about every weekend in spring/early summer, you can catch shows for roses, epi's, plumeria, bromeliad, fern, you name it. The park itself is a horticultural goldmine. In fact, when I visit the San Diego Zoo, I go for the amazing plant collection. When the aloes are in bloom, it's a spectacular sight. Across the street at the Desert Garden, there are specimens of Cactus/Succulent in their largest forms. Interesting to recognize plants that one would have at home in pots, in forms of giant trees or huge clumps.

Oh, there I go again, ramblin' on. So sorry.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Caudiciforms Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Adenium seedpod!! Indigoez 24 Apr 24, 2007 7:17 PM
Great case of mistaken identity GSkinner 16 Nov 22, 2007 2:20 PM
Flowering and Brighamia insignis, Hawaiian Vulcan Palm MartinDK 7 Aug 13, 2007 3:20 PM
Anyone grow Fockeas? Nan 8 Aug 13, 2007 3:30 PM
Brachychiton Nan 5 May 25, 2007 4:22 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America