Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: Dead bees

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 3, Views: 86
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eldamuir
selburne
Canada

August 18, 2008
1:13 AM

Post #5428889

Hi , I am a relativly new beekeeper but had been feeling quite successful until the last two days . I have found hundreds of dead bees at the entrance to the hive and on inspection hundreds more on the floor of the bottom super . I had a knowledgeable beekeeper take a look and he said that he has never seen anything like it before . The queen is there and a new brood but little honey .
Has anyone else run into this disaster ?Help !
polarexpress
Dallas, TX

August 30, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5487965

Hi, I'm not a beekeeper, but I leave in Dallas, Texas and I'm noticing that bees seem to "stick" on bricks, leaves of my hanging baskets and generally I can water my plant and it never budges from the plant leaves. I think that is so odd. They may be suffering also from some malady in my part of the world where they've lost their "flee or fight" sonar. There was another member who said the same thing about them dying on her crape myrtle trees. One thing is for sure they are not flying anywhere!

Best of luck...you must be devastated to find your beehives in such a state.
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2008
1:45 PM

Post #5490183

If you had plenty of honey before,then this could be the result of robbing by a stronger hive.
eldamuir
selburne
Canada

October 6, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #5640886

Thanks for the imput . I found out that someone had purposefully sprayed the hive with an insecticide . The hive was so decimated that the robber bees then overtook the hive which in turn caused the starvation of my remaining bees . I actually shopped vacuumed1000's of robber bees in an attemt to stablize my hive . At this point they are somewhat recovered and hopefully will be strong enough to make it through the winter.Thanks again for your replies Jane

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America