Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Elderberry jam/preserves

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 123, Views: 1,237
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

August 18, 2008
3:33 PM

Post #5430713

Hello all!
I am blessed with tons of elderberry. I even have a large 15 foot tree/bush in my back yard with a seating area and water feature under it. I just love the look of the plants with the flowers then the fruit. I usually just pick the fruit and give it to the chickens. They really love it! Now I got to thinking maybe I should think about using the fruit myself. Does anyone have a good recipe for jam/preserves? Also does it have a good taste? Like does it taste like something else or does it have a flavor all its own. The ball canning book has a recipe in it, but it calls for vinegar and no pectin. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
George

Thumbnail by daylilydaddy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marionr
Mena, AR
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2008
12:19 AM

Post #5433028

A friend of mine gave me a jar of elderberry jelly/jam a few weeks ago. It was delcious and the taste is different but in a good way kind of like a real sweet grape. Her son and his wife picked the berry clumps off the plant and then put them into boiling water and then pulled the clumps back out and the berries released. I don't know the recipe but will check with her and get it. I didn't know what they looked like but she told me they are getting ripe about this time all along the hiway between us. I live in western Arkansas about 3 miles from the OK state line. She lives about 30 miles into OK. Thanks for sending the picture of the bush/tree. I would love to get the recipe also. I will be looking for them now.
Marionr
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5433291

You are blessed! This thread had some recipes and ideas... might find some info you can use. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/867825/#new Good Luck!
silkiechick
Reynoldsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2008
6:00 AM

Post #5545697

when u buy pectin(at least here) it has a recipe pamplet in it for jams, jellies and wines.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5546823

We do Elderberry at least every other year...syrup & jelly...I just processed in the steamer enough berries to have 2 gallons of juice...wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!!!! We have been doing this since the 1970's in California and now in Idaho...you can do fritters with them, too...We just love them!!!...Deb
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2008
11:00 PM

Post #5560566

Oh yes, great thread LOL. I missed my opportunity to pick elderberries this year. So much going on that they passed us right on by. boo hoo. I don't think I could have gottenany made anyways. I hope you get to make some daylily daddy
creekwalker
Benton County, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2008
5:07 PM

Post #5580655

I LOVE elderberry jelly! Here is a good recipe for that.

3lbs ripe berries
6 cups sugar
1/2 c lemon juice
6 oz liquid pectin

Wash and stem berries and cook over moderate heat for 15 minutes. Crush with a masher. Run through a jelly bag and recover 3 cups of juice.
Place juice in pan and add lemon juice and mix. Add sugar and mix thoroughly and boil til dissolved.

Add liquid pectin, bring to a boil for 1 full minute, stirring constantly. Skim foam and pour into hot sterile jars.

Recipe didn't say how much it made, but a friend made it and got 3 pints of jelly. She didn't even have enough elderberries and used water to make the final 3 cups of juice, and it still came out wonderful.

I so wish I had elderberries here. I can't get them to grow. They do grow in this area, but whenever I buy new trees and plant them, they die. We have terrible rocky clay soil, so that's probably why. You are so lucky!
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6400207

About 4 years ago I planted native elderberries near our house and this fall I picked and processed them into juice which we canned for later use to make into jelly. It was slow and took time getting the small berries picked and processed. The juice looked absolutely luscious and smelled great. Each year they grow more and get bigger too. I love elderberry jelly but have a hard time describing the unique taste.
Cuckoo
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 12, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6400213

creekwalker your elderberry jelly recipe looks good. Sounds delicious on a buttered biscuit or roll!! Cuckoo
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2009
2:50 AM

Post #6401759

Cuckoo ~ I am interested in your planting native elderberries. Did you start them from seed or dig them up or order them? What type of location, soil did you choose to plant in? How long before they delivered the "goods" ? LOL
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 13, 2009
12:28 PM

Post #6402786

podster Hi there! I ordered them from our state nursery. I planted them on a somewhat sandy loam soil right on one of the wing walls to our home so if needed I can water if we have super dry weather. They are growing great and faster than I thought they would. They are a beautiful shrub too. Many catalogs have elderberries too. You will like growing elderberries I'm sure!

Cuckoo
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #6402904

Thanks for the info. I always intend to harvest and watch the blooms on the ditch plants but by the time they are ripe, it slips my mind till the birds beat me to them. If they were under my nose, I might have better luck. Elderly folks here say elderberry jelly is THE best! I may find out someday. LOL When you say "state nursery", it is native plants or run by your state?
creekwalker
Benton County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6403817

Podster, our Missouri dept of Conservation has a state nursery that we can order bulk native trees. I'm sure that's what cuckoo is talking about, but maybe not. We can buy them in bundles of 25 for pretty cheap. That's where I got my last ones. But I still haven't had any success with them. It's just not the right kind of soil here. Way too much clay I think. I'm going to keep trying though. ;-)
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 13, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6404436

That is a very good deal your state offers. I have some clay but topped with sand so maybe they would do for me. Thanks for that info. pod
creekwalker
Benton County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2009
9:53 PM

Post #6415474

Yes, it really is a good program. :-) They have a lot of different trees available too. So far, only the Chokecherry trees have survived though. They aren't real big, maybe from a foot tall to two feet or so, but still. Maybe your state does something similar?
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6416197

I've not heard of TX doing that but will check into it. Thanks... pod
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6429843

My elderberries are just beginning to leaf out and they have a few new sucker plants coming up in new spots too. I want to control the grass better this year but not sure how I will do it.

Cuckoo
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
12:53 AM

Post #6429875

Creekwalker... I don't know much about chokecherries. Edible?or what?

Podster...I see several kinds of elderberries in different garden catalogs but have no idea which are good ones to try. Some I would imagine would possibly out produce the native elderberries I'm growing. What do you think?

Cuckoo
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2009
1:28 AM

Post #6430051

I wouldn't know which one to try. What is the type that your state nursery supplies? pod
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6430112

Honestly I don't know. You will enjoy growing elderberries because there isn't anything you have to do to care for them. The birds I'm sure would eat the ripe ones but mine near the house seemed to be o.k. or else I was just lucky! We squished them in a colander like thing we have and canned the juice. Creekwalkers recipe above looks good. 3 pounds I wonder would be about what in cups of liquid? My wife makes lots of jams and jellies and prefers the liquid pectin best although it is higher in price than boxed pectin.

Cuckoo
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #6431343

All right you got me hooked. Elderberries offer the best of all worlds, being ornamental, medicinal, edible and attract wildlife. I've got a suitable spot for the plants and am shopping! LOL

Y'all have a great nursery site and I love the Mobot site too. Missouri really has it together for the plant people.

I hadn't caught that in the recipe above as I just skimmed it but yes, I wonder how much liquid it made.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6432130

OHDARN, Pod, I wish I'd seen these posts before I sent the book...I have tons & tons of elderberry jelly, just made from 2008 berries...we've made elderberry jelly while living in CA & now here in Idaho they grow like weeds everywhere...we harvest ice chests full, then juice & freeze 'til I get to start jellying once the weather cools down. I will get acouple of jars in the mail to you...I think I have syrup also...Deb
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
4:10 PM

Post #6432230

Deb... he will love your elderberry jelly I'm sure! Cuckoo

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6432252

Thanks Cuckoo, Growing up in North Dakota & now here in Idaho I especially love chokecherry but elderberry comes in a close second for sure...and now with the new juicer it isn't so difficult to get the berries juiced. Deb
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6432319

Deb tell me about chokecherries? Do they taste like a pie(sour cherry such as montmorency cherry trees) cherry or what? Are they a shrub? Growth rate, etc.?

Cuckoo

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6432464

we had the starts available from our county extension tree people...like $2.50 for 2 ft trees...we bought bunches of lilacs and they are looking wonderful...The chockcherries are a shrubby tree which sucker, sorta like lilacs I would describe them...the berries are acidic, make you mouth pucker until they are near black in color...if I was to say how they taste I would say they are similiar to elderberries...as for growth, I couldn't say...we've been here 4 yrs and the bushes are pretty much the same size except for more growth around the bottom...when we were in Montana last year we came across ones that were pretty good size just loaded with berries...we plan on going back over this year to pick...we weren't prepared last year...I will enclose a picture...

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6432478

chokecherries

Thumbnail by Depsi

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

April 19, 2009
6:27 PM

Post #6432714

Most of the berry is pit...
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
8:32 PM

Post #6433187

Great looking picture of chokecherries. Thanks for the info. on them. They sound like neat plants too. Cuckoo
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2009
11:15 PM

Post #6433853

Deb ~ not to worry about sending jelly. I want to try some plants but please, if you don't mind, share your recipe for the elderberry jelly? Thanks pod
creekwalker
Benton County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
9:02 PM

Post #6443770

Cuckoo, the 3 pounds of elderberries is supposed to make 3 cups of juice which is what the recipe calls for. I'm sorry I didn't see your post sooner. But a friend of mine used that recipe, didn't have that many elderberries to make 3 cups, so she substituted water for the remaining juice and the jelly was great. :-)

I haven't tried chokecherries yet and mine are too young to fruit. But I do hear that the jelly from them is very good. :-) I hope someday I will get to try it. I have some black cherry trees, but in the 4 years we've been here, they haven't produced any fruit. They try. They start out with cherries growing, then they disappear. Maybe birds or bugs?
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2009
3:03 AM

Post #6445465

creekwater your right... you know in Mo. it could be anything. Bug, bird, etc.
Cuckoo
grits74571
Talihina, OK

June 22, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #6724040

Marionr I hardly ever get any elderberries as the birds get first crack at them I have them all around my yard .I like that idea about putting the clumps into the boiling water and the berries falling off ..Looks to be a bumper crop this year I am in Talihina around 50 or so miles from you ..I once found elderberries growing at 6,500 feet in a pile of solid rock so this plant ROCKS..
grits74571
Talihina, OK

June 22, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6724083

Creekwalker Try a raised bed planter I have a rather large one for some of my Day Lillies and last year had an Elderberry come up in it from what could only have been the deposit of a friendly bird ..It grew from seed to bloom in one year ...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 22, 2009
7:54 PM

Post #6724142

I bought some chokecherry trees this year from Gurney's. Buy 5 for $10 and get 5 free. They were supposed to be 12" - 18" but when they came, all were over 4' tall! I planted several, and gave away several. I'm hoping when they grow up and fruit, they will attract the birds to leave my other fruits alone. Hey, I can hope, can't I??
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2009
1:51 AM

Post #6774749

Depsi, I was wondering if you'd post how you make your elderberry jelly. We're about to go pick elderberries and your cooking them in the steamer? sounds like something I'd want to try.

would love your recipe.

kathy

I have never been able to successfully make elderberry jel. it's always syrupy and it also turns a brownish color, for some weird reason. I'd love to get it right this time.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6776527

Do elderberries grow wild anywhere?
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 20, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6839572

Cajun I don't know of anyplace they don't grow wild ..Of course I haven't been everywhere but know for sure they grow wild in Oregon,California,Oklahoma,Arkansas,Louisiana,and Mississippi also scarsely in Nevada Sending along a pic of some that grow next to my house

Thumbnail by grits74571

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

July 23, 2009
8:36 PM

Post #6856392

they are everywhere in northern Idaho...Deb
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 24, 2009
5:16 PM

Post #6859824

WE're watching them like a hawk here, not quite ready, all along the road ditches everywhere.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 2, 2009
11:17 PM

Post #6899163

Just got home from an elderberry picking adventure got quite a few but most are one week away from being in prime shape will keep Y'all posted
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 8, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6924037

A friend from Montana passed this tip along to me for Choke cherries she puts her chokecherries in the freezor for a couple of weeks then takes them out to make her jelly ..She says it makes them plump up and they are much sweeter ..I plan to try that with the elderberries tomorrow...
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #6925344

I freeze my elderberries first for two months, by the time they have been in the freezer for two months, the weather is so cold I need something to do in the house.HAHA. Freezing makes them juicer, i have a electric juicer, thaw and put them thur the juicer and make jelly.
My grandma also used the juice to make pie, she used juice, adding enough cornstarhc to set the juice and baked in a two shell pie crust, like a cherry pie. I still make it for the hoildays.
and YES, elderberries will grow anywhere...
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 16, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6953653

Picked and clean 2 qts. of elders today and put them in freezer they are just about prime here now
Cleo1717
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2009
2:42 AM

Post #6963010

I canned some elderberry jelly last Saturday and it is so good. I'm going to be honest, the juice was a bit bitter so I was very worried about how the jelly would taste but when we added the sugar and heated it up, all the bitterness went away and left a delicious jelly. I used the blackberry jelly recipe on the Pomona pectin package and it jelled beautifully.

It really is a gorgeous (although it stains like nothing else!) jelly and the added bonus is that we had a blast making stupid Monty Python jokes the entire time! :-D
grits74571
Talihina, OK

August 21, 2009
3:10 PM

Post #6972161

Annabelle What kind of juicer do you use //Kinda thinking about one but don't want a great big thing ..My DW has a food processor that she lets me use ,but it is rather large for our smallish kitchen ,but I do most of my prep work on the back porch>>>Large covered and shady with tons of plants to keep me company
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6977489

WEll, we went and picked elderberries today and I made 2 batches, here's the recipe I used, I put the cleaned berries into a small stove top pressure cooker and cooked them about l0 min with about l cup water in the bottom. juiced them through this canning seive and followed this recipe, and I got SYRUP , I tell you, SYRUP , I give up. I have no idea what i'm doing wrong, EVERY year! I cannot make elderberry jelly and can make any other kind . What on earth!

Sorry, i'm venting! So aggrivated at myself. I have got to be doing something wrong. but don't know what. I even put one in the frig and it's still syrup. I boiled it after the surjel which is in date btw. for one minute like the recipe says,

What's up with that?

3lbs ripe berries
5 cups sugar
1/2 c lemon juice
1 box surjel

Wash and stem berries and cook over moderate heat for 15 minutes. Crush with a masher. Run through a jelly bag and recover 3 cups of juice.
Place juice in pan and add lemon juice and mix. Add sugar and mix thoroughly and boil til dissolved.

Add liquid pectin, bring to a boil for 1 full minute, stirring constantly. Skim foam and pour into hot sterile jars.

Didn't mean to yell there LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6977696

kathy_ann, you really need to try Pomona's Pectin... I swear you could probably make jelly out of just water with it!
http://www.pomonapectin.com/
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #6978578

My juicer is the Jack La Lanne juicer you see on tv, I've had it for years and it never fails to give me great juice.
I know how messy the elderberries are, but it you ever want to dye a piece of cotton the color is beautiful. And once you process the cloth the color stays bright. ( boil fabric in 1 gallon water to which you have added 2 cups juice and 1 cup salt, 20 minutes, rinse and rinse until water runs clear, and dry. Salt sets the color so it wont run)
I spread out the seeds in a screen and let them dry, the finches love them.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #6978667

I suppose I will get some, have to buy it off the net, how long do you suppose this juice will last in the frig? I have half a gallon left.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6978681

I have juiced the berries before, and got this brown stuff all over the top of the juice, and the jelly had this brown tint to it also. from juicing the berries, I t should have not jelled because of the one cup of water I put in the pressure cooker. that's just not enough water, My mother in law who's no longer living added alot more water than that, and hers always turned out good.

I did add the surjel to this recipe above and the other recipe was for liquid pectin, do you think that made the difference? That pamonas' is over 5.00 a box wow! High dollar stuff. LOL but I really want jelly and not syrup, Danny said it had a good flavor to it as syrup LOL and it's trying to thinken up but not there yet. doubt it will get there either. I will buy 3 boxes of this pamona's and try one batch with it, and see if it jels.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6978747

Kathy_Ann ~ freeze your juice. It will keep. I do that with many juices that I want to make jelly with. Then can cook it when it is cooler and when there is less to do outside.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #6979141

Kathy Ann, I generally get 3 runs of jelly/jam from 1 box of Pomona's Pectin. Also, I freeze any juice until I'm ready to can it. I use a water bath, be sure jars are covered with at least an inch of water over the tops.

I can't speak to liquid pectin since I don't use it.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6979592

Darius what does 3 runs , 3 recipes? I thought that the pamonas was one box per recipe?

I just bought the liquid, on box of it, and made one batch with the liquid pectin we'll see how it goes.

And I should say that the jelly from yesterday is alot more set up today than yesterday. Not jelly yet but not syrup any more either. So maybe there's hope for it yet. everybody had it on pancakes this morning and said it was really good. LOL I said well yeah, it's pure sugar LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6979851

Nope. Pomona's box has 2 foil packs... one is pectin powder and the other makes up a small jar of calcium water (which keeps refrigerated for several weeks). The recipes included give how much of each per quantity of fruit or juice. I made 3 batches of half-pint peach jam and marmalade last week, from one box. One batch was 6 jars, the other 2 were just 5 jars. Of course, how many jars also depends on how much sugar. I used just 1-1/4 cup sugar to 4 cups peaches/citrus, and just 1 cup sugar for the jam.

Surejell (1 box) recipe calls for 5 cups sugar to 4 cups crushed peaches for jam. I find that is far too sweet, but Surejell won't jell without using that much sugar... My peach jam is still a little sweet and I probably could have used just half a cup of sugar, which would give me a stronger peach taste rather than a sugar taste with a hint of peach.

You just really need to try it. I found mine in a natural foods store when I lived in Asheville. Now that I'm in a very rural area, I buy it online. Even with s&h it's still cheaper than Surejell since one box goes farther, plus it always jells... and the ability to use lower sugar makes it healthier.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6979933

Thanks Darius. I will try it, I've been in my health food store often, and know they don't have it there. so I'll just buy it on line, so the price may seem high but it goes along way which is good to know.

Thanks. I guess I better not buy too much, I only have about 3 cups of juice left, unless we go elderberry picking again LOL
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6982433

WEll, I just ordered one box of pomonas pectin, didn't realize the shipping was free. Cool! I only have enough juice left for one more batch, and my DH says that that's it. Boo hoo! I like to try it till I get it right, maybe I can get him to get some more berries for me if this one last batch jels. Cause the batch I just made with the suregel liquid pectin is thinner than the surjel powder. it's so discouraging. And I guess the stuff I made with the powder isn't going to jell any more than it has. I hope the pomona's works for me. I have tried everything else LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6983061

Let me know, okay?

I think you can re-do the batch(es) you have already done with the Pomona's when you get it. Check the instructions...
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6983172

I think you can too, I may do that if the batch I make works out. That would be wonderful if I could fix all the jelly.

Will post here if it works, won't blame you if it doesn't LOL will blame something else i've done during the process of extracting the juice.

dragonfly53
(Terri )South Boston, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6986108

Darius,

I'm interested in the Pomona's because my DH is diabetic but loves jam and jelly so the less sugar is a good reason to purchase it. However, most of my recipes call for liquid pectin, and I didn't see any mention of equivalents on Pomona's website. Have you modified any recipes that called for liquid pectin?
terri
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2009
2:43 PM

Post #6986381

that's also a good question to ask pomona's web site. I've already asked them several questions, they responded right away for me.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2009
3:35 PM

Post #6986546

Terri, you can download 2 recipe pdf's from the Pomona's site; they might give you a clue. Just remember that most diabetic recipes are/were written with guidelines for a broad range of available products rather than use of a specific product.

Over the years of using Pomona's, I've made hundred's of diabetic jams, jellies, chutneys, etc. for friends and relatives. All of them have been tasty as long as you start with good fruit, which gets harder all the time except for home-grown.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2009
5:58 PM

Post #6994801

I got a quick question, Ijust got my pomomas pectin in, want to rebatch first, wanted to ask, the directions weren't very specific on when to add the calcium water in the batch. Wondered if I am suppose to reboil the juice, and then add in the 4 tsp of pectin and the 4 tsp of calciium water directly into the boiling jelly juice. Since I already have my sweetener in there, (rebatching) I won't be able to mix the pectin with any sweetener while i'm rebatching.

kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6994853

Never mind, I went ahead and dumped it all in, poured it in jars, and working on rebatching the next batch, the stuff in the bottom of the pan had already jelled before I poured another batch of juice in. That stuff is awesome. Jars are already jelled also.

WOW! I'll never use another box of surejel again, I'm ordering more pomona's now cause I won't have enough to finish my juice , I only bought one box.

WOOHOO! thanks for all the help. I finally have elderberry jelly.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6994906

LOL, it took you long enough!! :) I don't know anyone who has ever used Pomona's has gone back to SureJell... Too bad I don't get a commission from them.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6995059

LOL, you'd make a killin for sure. I'm all done, I did manage to have enough to do the new batch of juice I had left over in the frig. and everybit of it is jelling already. I'm thrilled that I didn't waste any of the jelly. Thanks for pushing me in that direction LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6995835

Hey, I just flashed what I remember from my instructions... the calcium water gets added to the fruit/juice, and the powdered pectin needs to be thoroughly mixed with the sugar before adding to keep it from clumping in the pot ... Don't know why i didn't answer that earlier, except maybe because you had already made the jelly?
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6995860

ok, thanks, ALL of it jelled,
dancingbear27
Elba, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #7009961

OK, I just have to jump in here. I have tons of elderberries trees. Started off with 2 now have tons. They tend to sucker underground terrible. Don't mind though because they are pretty little trees with beautiful flowers, great berries and what I don't use the birds love.

I use a Mehu Maya steamer. It is just the bees knees. I use it for the elderberries and grapes. There are three pieces to it: Water is in a pan in the bottom which boils and steams the fruit in the above baskets. In the very top you put the fruit (you don't even have to remove them from the stems), which looks like a big colander. Juice drips from top basket into a solid collecting basket the center of which the steam goes through and this basket has a spout and tube with a clamp. Your juice will flow out of this spout crystal clear and if you catch it into a canning jar and have your lids ready, you can cap it off and it's hot enough that it will seal your jars. It is so easy, all you need to do is wash your fruit and put it in with the water in the bottom, turn your burner on and wait for your juice to come out!

Elderberry juice although not the tastiest in the world is extremely high in antioxidant properties. It is excellent for when you are coming down with a cold. It also works really well when you need a little natural pink coloring. I put some in with my white grapes to color the juice up.

The best pectin I've found is called Dutch Gel it is sold in Amish or Mennonite stores in bulk. Generally about $3.15/lb and you only need 1/3 c. for a batch of jam so you get about 8-10 batches out of a lb. We have Amish stores in our area but if not, I've seen Amish bulk stores online. Just Google "Dutch Gel".

My Elderberry Jelly recipe calls for:
5 c. elderberry juice
7 c. sugar
1/3 c Dutch Gel or 1 pkg Certo or Sure Gel
You don't really need lemon juice because the berries are tart enough.

This is really good on vanilla ice cream too. Hope this helps!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2009
11:51 AM

Post #7012104

I may have to check into that steamer. I think I read Depsi has one I think and uses it for making elderberry jelly too.

I'd love to live close to some amish stores. They are fantastic. Alas, i'm no where near them. I'd be buying fresh milk, bread, eggs, etc... everything I don't make LOL

grits74571
Talihina, OK

September 1, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #7012973

Kathy ann Where in Arkansa is Judsonia cause there is some Amish fruit stands and such in Poteau Ok. and a mennonite church in Pocola, I have to go to Fort Smith and think there might be a mennonite churc and such there will surely look...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #7012982

JustMeLisa has one of those steamer's too... and raves about it! Or at least I think it might be the same: she has the Mehu Liisa, not the Mehu-Maija.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #7013077

I was just a t Walmart this morning, and saw some 3 piece steamers like the one posted here, but not the same brand name, it was 51.00 HOly cow! the smaller one , which isn't big as a minute was 30.00 Their high dollar LOL

Judsonia is about 1 hr north of Little Rock.
dancingbear27
Elba, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 1, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #7013520

Mehu Lisa is a younger sister (model) of Mehu Maya. New mine would have been over $100 but well worth every penny if you do a lot of fruit every year because it truly is close to effortless. I did find mine on Ebay for about $40 used. I did see some similar models on Amazon (less expensive but smaller) which have the same concept and I would think would work just as well. My top bin can hold a big rectangular dish pan full of fruit at one time. The volume it processes in a short period with little work is astonishing.
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #7013587

The Mehu Lisa is about the best $$ I have spent. I have used it allot this year. Got blueberries at a very good price. Froze some and made juice from the others. Picked up "cull" peaches. Great peach juice. It takes lots less space to store jars of juice than whole fruit in the freezer. I cook peach juice down and use it to sweeten strawberry jam with Pamona's Pectin. I also canned part of my peaches in peach juice and they're beautiful. Nice pink color! Make apple juice and mint extract for mint jelly. I can't wait for the cooking apples to make juice. Going to try sweetening some other jams with peach juice. Wish I had access to elderberries or chokecherries! We're going to see if it will work for prickly pear cactus fruit. NO COOKING DOWN, NO MESSY JELLY BAGS, NO PEELING, FEW SEEDS FALL INTO JUICE!! Just wash the fruit, turn the burner on and come back to c=drain juice off. Stainless and only takes a couple minutes to clean. NO JUICE STAIN EVERYWHERE! Guess you can't tell I really like my juicer ;-0
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

December 14, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #7368755

I made lots of elderberry jelly late in the summer. I love all the info. here about working them up. As much as we process I'm wondering about one of those steamers or something that makes the work involved a little easier. We made straight elderberry jelly and a lot made with 50/50 homegrown concord grape juice. Both are simply delicious on toast, homemade rolls, etc. I have heard too that elderberries are healthy because of the antioxidants they contain.
Cuckoo
ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7486032

Hubby and I picked wild elderberries and apples last fall. He made a few amazing jars of jam! Just a thought, you could mix the elderberries and apples. We did that and I actually preferred it to the straight elderberry jam. I didn't do any of the cooking so I cannot share a recipe, but I believe hubby used about 2/3 elderberries to 1/3 apples.

Elizabeth
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2010
11:11 PM

Post #7592891

Elizabeth that sounds delicious! I eat elderberry jelly on my toast every morning but apples sounds like a good combination too.
Cuckoo
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 24, 2010
6:12 PM

Post #7994157

Been a spell since we did the elderberry thing but just wanted everyone to know that I just got in my first order of Pomona's Pectin and am set to start with the elderberry jelly There are lots here that are fully ripe and this is a good 3 weeks earlier than last year ..Last year I picked my first on August 3rd and the best a week later
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

July 29, 2010
5:16 PM

Post #8005302

Grits, My elderberries usually begin to ripen about mid August depending on the weather. I do like to make some jelly with it and I like 50/50 elderberry and grape juice made into jelly too. Looks like a good crop this year also.
Cuckoo
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 6, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #8023981

My Elderberries are just starting to begin to ripen. Maybe in a week or two.
Cuckoo
cuckoo4rblackbe
Savannah, MO
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #8054066

My elderberries are ready and I will be canning the juice and make some jelly in a few more days.
Cuckoo
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2010
10:57 AM

Post #8055439

We're going elderberry picking this evening. Got my pamona pectin coming soon I hope, ordered it a few days ago
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2010
10:48 AM

Post #8067085

WE hit the motherload, got two of these huge bowls full of Wild elderberries!!! Guess who's making jelly today

Thumbnail by kathy_ann

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 28, 2010
1:16 PM

Post #8067289

Boy, you sure did, KA...!!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2010
2:15 PM

Post #8067347

lol, I've made 2 double batches so far, and now i'm washing more jars in the dishwasher. I think I have more juice than I need.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #8067620

Bottle it and freeze it. You will find it refreshing to use in the dead of winter. Good score!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8067698

My son wanted me to sweeten it for juice, but I told him I wasn't going to. I had to redo my jellies today cause I doubled the recipe and forgot to double the pamona pectin, I could have kicked myself, but now it's finally getting to the jelly stage.

Love that pamona's pectin
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2010
10:29 AM

Post #8087246

Made elderberry jelly from elderberries I picked at my cousin's farm in PA. I used Sure Jell and followed the recipe on their website. It isn't very stiff - but it tastes good.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 8, 2010
10:40 AM

Post #8087266

Wonderful! Keep a jar of it aside to use if you get the flu, or a cold. Works great. (I make an elderberry syrup for this use... stronger elderberries, less sugar, and of course no pectin.)
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 10, 2010
8:15 PM

Post #8092039

I have been looking for elderberries but have only come across poke berries. Grrr

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2010
5:11 AM

Post #8092550

Yeah, poke berries are really in abundance this year. I wonder why?
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2010
7:45 AM

Post #8092745

Seems like as dry as it's been there wouldn't be so many. Do you know how to use them as a dye? I'd love to try that.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 11, 2010
8:24 AM

Post #8092799

Sorry, I don't. I've been meaning to look it up, and might this year since there are SO many. I must have 20X the amount around my yard than I've had in the last 4 years.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

September 11, 2010
11:23 AM

Post #8093032

I've been meaning to look it up too but I have so much going on I can't keep my mind on much.
ic_conifers
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2010
5:52 PM

Post #8095491

We picked a bunch of wild elderberries on Labor Day and made about 12 pints worth of jelly. It is amazing! My husband had to redo his batches, he didn't add enough sugar or pectin and they didn't set. Second time was a charm, I gave away three pints this week and cannot wait to hear what others think. Hubby added a few wild apples to the elderberries when they were boiling before he strained them, I think it tastes great.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2010
7:33 PM

Post #8095700

I use to have that problem everytime I made elderberry jelly, till someone told me about pamona's pectin, that stuff is fabulous. sets up every time I make it and you don't have to use a ton of sugar in order for it to set up

it works alot better than surjel does

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2010
6:35 AM

Post #8096272

'Twas me, KathyAnn. Glad you are happy with it!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2010
6:58 PM

Post #8097698

yep, best stuff I ever bought for makin jellies !!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 26, 2011
11:42 AM

Post #8331646

I have noticed my elderberries are leafing out so spring must be close at hand ,have been letting the volunteer elders alone so they will mature now looks like I will have enough so will no longer have to depend on the roadside ones ...
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2011
5:12 PM

Post #8332216

You are very fortunate. But, surely you won't let the fruit along the road go to waste?
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2011
5:21 PM

Post #8332239

I can't even see my elderberries for all the #$@% SNOW. (But I still have their jam.)
grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 29, 2011
10:13 AM

Post #8336888

To tell the truth I am thinking of trying some of the Hybrids just to see if they are indeed much larger in their fruit..Anyone else ever tried them ???
grits74571
Talihina, OK

April 21, 2011
7:37 AM

Post #8510848

Felt like it was time to jump in on the elderberry thread and crow a little bit about mine they have reached 9' and look good but no blossums yet> Did any of Y'all ever make Elderberry blossum pancakes just add a cup of cleaned and wash blossums to your normal pancake mix it imparts a subtle taste change that is hard to describe so give it a try when they begin to bloom
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2011
11:58 AM

Post #8694174

My elderberries set for the first time! Not very many berries - probably not even enough for jam. But there is always next year.
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
12:44 PM

Post #8694236

Ever the optimist. It's a sign of a true farmer/gardener.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 15, 2011
1:50 PM

Post #8694337

Well now looks like I may have crowed a little soon I have lots of elder but they don't look very plump due in large part to the hot dry weather kinda cloudy here this afternoon but it has been everyday for a week but still no rain
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 15, 2011
7:11 PM

Post #8694941

:(
grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 30, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9402354

Don't pay me no mind just wanted to bump this up
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2013
7:41 AM

Post #9416514

Skimmed through this fairly long thread with interest. I have lots of wild red elderberry on our property. My husband thinks of them as weeds and is constantly pushing them over with his tractor, much to my dismay. What's not to like about them - they grow quickly, colonize, have pretty white flowers followed by fruit for the birds, and form a useful summer time screen. I sometimes don't get him. I'm getting chickens this year and will encourage some shrubs to grow around the chicken yard, both for fruit and shade. May try the jam as well.

Thumbnail by bonehead

grits74571
Talihina, OK

February 12, 2013
11:30 AM

Post #9416727

The elderberry jam has a truly great taste you will like it

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
12:19 PM

Post #9416771

Some references say red elderberries are edible, some say they are not. Bradford Angier, a well-known Canada-based forager, said eating a lot of raw, whole, red elderberries gave him “digestive upsets.” Angier lived off the land for years at a time, so he is a man of practical information. Research does clarify this and says deseeded ripe, cooked red elderberries are edible.

In Volume 30, Issue 6, of the June 2003 issue of the Journal of Archaeological Science, red elderberries are discussed. It says:

“In this article, we examine the use of red elderberry fruit at site 35-TI-1, a late Holocene village on the northern Oregon coast, where more than 68,000 seeds from this fruit have been recovered. Despite the fruit and its seeds being somewhat toxic, red elderberry was widely used both ethnographically and during earlier periods. Its ease of harvest, nutritional value compared to other fruits, and the need to remove its toxic seeds prior to consumption result in red elderberry being well represented in the region’s paleoethnobotanical record. Also, toxins in the seeds may inhibit their decomposition, allowing uncharred seeds to survive for several hundred years.”
http://www.eattheweeds.com/elderberries-red-white-and-blue/ (near the bottom of the page)
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2013
3:10 PM

Post #9416926

Thanks Darius. Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast also notes that the raw berries of red elderberry are unpalatable and may cause nausea, and recommends cooking before ingesting. It also appears the red berries may be more seedy than the black or blue, so perhaps I'll just leave them to the birds.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
3:11 PM

Post #9416928

Sounds like a safer plan!
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2013
3:23 PM

Post #9416938

Now must research if they are OK for chickens to eat raw (I'm certainly not going to cook them up for the hens...)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 12, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9416949

LOL!
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

February 13, 2013
5:42 AM

Post #9417488

Are they red when their ripe too? We pick wild elderberries all the time to make jelly. Not sure if their the same variety as yours though. The ones we pick r black when their ripe.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2013
5:44 AM

Post #9417493

Black elderberries are wonderful, turning from reddish/pink to dark purple/black when ripe. The red ones stay red when ripe.

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2013
10:04 AM

Post #9446959

We have the black ones around us...my understanding is one of the ways to use them is to cut the head of berries off, dip in pancake mix and cook the whole thing as you would pancakes...My Aunt used to make a pie of the berries & we make jelly & syrup with what we pick...I've eaten lots of the berries, never seemed to upset my tummy...I love them all year long but they are especially beautiful when there's big ripe heads nodding in the breeze...
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 20, 2013
5:35 AM

Post #9605826

Just about time to start picking Elderberries I see two clumps out back so the others are not going to be very far behind

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

July 20, 2013
7:05 AM

Post #9605901

Last summer I cut down a really small elderberry that was in danger of being swept away by the creek, and cut it into short pieces to propagate. Now I have a line of (still small) elderberry bushes along the property line, and my neighbor got 2 cuttings from me.

His went in the ground last fall and are now about 5' tall, with big berry heads. Mine didn't get in the ground until this May so they are only 2-1/2' tall but have flowered. I don't know if I should remove the berry heads so the plants put their energy into growth, but I know some elderberry farms mow the plants down every fall.

At any rate, I will have lots of elderberries next year, if not this year. I make a non-alcoholic cough/cold elixir that I can in half pint jars, but if I get enough fruit I may try to make some elderberry wine.
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 29, 2013
4:31 AM

Post #9614987

Picked my first ones yesterday got close to a half gallon of berries just picked them off the stems and placed into a freezer bag when I get all I want then will juice them and freeze the juice for later use ..
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 29, 2013
5:54 AM

Post #9615055

i read somewhere that you can freeze the whole flower head and then the berries pop right off the head, making the stemming process much easier!
grits74571
Talihina, OK

July 31, 2013
5:51 AM

Post #9617199

I don't know if that will work or not but it is worth a try

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America