Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Powell Gardens photos

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

Here are some photos from the Powell Gardens Butterfly Festival and African sculptures..

Thumbnail by SusanKC

Another native butterfly

Thumbnail by SusanKC

Here is one out of the tropical area.

Thumbnail by SusanKC

Another tropical area butterfly

Thumbnail by SusanKC

Tropical butterfly 67

Thumbnail by SusanKC

Tropical butterfly 85

Thumbnail by SusanKC

At the water garden

Thumbnail by SusanKC

Sculpture in the perennial beds

Thumbnail by SusanKC
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Pic #2 is Pipevine Swallowtail
Pic #3 is Blue Morpho
Pic #4 is Orange Heliconinian-sorry spelt wrong probably :~)

The others I have to look up to remember their names.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Hi Ladies, Pepper sent me this link, sj.. we went Sunday... very enjoyable time, will HAVE to go again. I was taken with everything! Loved the sanctuary, the water gardens, the conservatory, and the new "childrens" part they are working on. Here's a couple shots I got..

Thumbnail by AuntB
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I thought the above pic and this one was the Blue Morpho...?

Thumbnail by AuntB
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Here's the PG sign as we came into the gardens... I wanted to say when I saw all the orange Mexican sunflowers, I thought of Leaflady, she had those in her yard last year.

Thumbnail by AuntB
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

The sunflowers were butterfly magnets, but so was this child inside the conservatory..

Thumbnail by AuntB
NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I'll have to say I've started planning to get more flyers in my yard. I left milkweed plants growing for the monarch's this year, but I need more bloomers around the perimeter. Pepper said they will catch all the butterflies in the conservatory, box them up and send to Wichita, Ks for a display there. Once it is over, they will live out the rest of their lives in Wichita.. Here's one I captured in my own backyard BEFORE our trip to Powell Gardens.

Thumbnail by AuntB

Nice photos. I wondered what happened to the butterflies afterwards. Do you know if there is a butterfly house in Wichita?

We have had less butterflies, moths, and skippers in the yard this year. Instead of multiples of them like last year, we have mostly been getting one at a time.

There is some kind of conservatory down there just for butterflies. I will look it up and find it's name. If I can't find it that way then slowtornado or another member can tell me.

Oh, I goofed on the pipevine butterfly. I just had the name and now my mind is blank. AARGGH!!! Spicebush!! Got it!! LOL

Pic #5 is Crimson Patch. I meant to copy the flyer today for the names but forgot to do it. I will try to remember tomorrow so that we can have the names.

AuntB, those are the blue morphos. :~)

This is a swallowtail if I remember correctly but don't remember the name of it.

Thumbnail by pepper23

That would be great. DH has more photos of the tropical area and was excited that you knew the names. We did not get a photo idenity sheet because we didn't the concervatory had tropical butteryflies.

Ok, I got my list mostly straightened out. lol.

Pics 1 and 2 are either Pipevine or Spicebush Swallowtails. I can't figure it out because the flyer shows a totally different Pipevine while my books show what on the flyer is Spicebush. lol

Pic #3 is White Peacock
Pic #4 is Banded Orange Heliconian
Pic #5 is Crimson Patch
Pic #6 looks like Cimson Patch though I could be wrong.

Thanks pepper. I will pass this on to my DH.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Pepper, Mel and I remember seeing the sculpture exhibit/sale at Mo Botanical Gardens a year ago June.. I saw a couple I'd put in my "rustic" gardens but I know they cost more than I earn in a month, so guess I'll stick with my plastic flamingo and homemade gazing/bowling balls- lol

AuntB - My DH and I saw a number of sculptures that we liked at Powell this last visit. The bird covey over in the perennial area was a favorite.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.