Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Gingers: ginger "curious"-please tell me more!

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 2, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2008
1:50 AM

Post #5433502

Hi-first time in "Ginger" forum-be gentle with me . . .

I understand ginger plants smell great-is that true?
I live in zone 5 (Chicago area) and can I grow any gingers here and would I have to bring them inside for winter?
What would be a nice first ginger plant for someone like me who loves very fragrant plants and preferably red flowers but not picky?

I look forward to what you all recommend and suggest so I can pick out the right ginger. BTW-do you recommend a retailer to buy them from?
Linda
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

August 20, 2008
3:22 AM

Post #5439760

Linda, let me second guess where you are coming from with your questions ( & I'm not sure I know the answers, but I think I do). Currently there are pictures of Costus Barbatus and Curcuma Roscoeana on the first page of the ginger forum. They are both beautiful and red. They are both recommended for zone 9 and higher.

If you have a greenhouse, you should be able to grow these.

There are many gingers that are much hardier than zone 9 however. I don't know of any of them that produce red flowers.

Probably the most fragrant ginger and the easiest to grow, in my opinion, would be Hedychium Coronarium, which is snow white and very beautiful. It's common name is "Butterfly Ginger" and it looks very much like a white butterfly. I believe you could grow these in zone 5 and bring them inside for the winter. I doubt that they will bloom in zone 5 because your warm season might not be long enough to give them time.

Will someone who lives in zone 5 please jump in here and help us out?

Linda, if you think you want to try H. C., I'd be happy to send you a start for postage.

JLMK and the best of luck!

Kay
mothermole
Deer Park, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #5445151

Gaylams: You totally understood my questions. I would love and appreciate a start if you can tell me how to plant it and the soil conditions and watering. Please D-mail me the postage and your address and I will send you the money!

Again thanks, I guess I won't be a newbie to ginger much longer!

Linda

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America