Photo by Melody

Passifloras: Isn't P. Incarnata supposed to be fragrant?

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 19, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 19, 2008
9:25 PM

Post #5437843

I started what I think is P. Incarnata from seed last year and overwintered it. This year I got the first blooms. I thought P. Incarnata was very fragrant. I am wondering if someone sold me P. Incense by mistake. I got the seeds from a place here in MO. Is P. Incense fragrant? This one seems to be doing very well but fragrance would be great. It is already putting out new plants from runners, I don't know that that will be good.
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #5438983

When I grew P. incarnata, the blooms smelled like peanut butter - not really 'fragrant' but they definently had an 'odor'.
plantbubba
Sour Lake, TX

August 20, 2008
4:11 PM

Post #5441756

I have maypops all over my yard and I think the fragrance is great. Especially
when alot of flowers are open at once and it is a nice warm day.
To me it is a soft, powdery smell. It didn't remind me of peanut butter.
And the fruit are small but very tasty. Alot of seeds so I just suck the juice and
pulp from them as best I can.
plantbubba
Sour Lake, TX

August 20, 2008
4:15 PM

Post #5441772

P. "Incense" is fragrant, similar to incarnata but to me it is stronger.
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2008
8:02 PM

Post #5442773

Mine has the peanut butter smell. The one that grew outside the Veterinary clinic where I work last year was so sweet smelling. I may have to try a cutting from that one. That is why I fell in love with Passifloras to start with is that wonderful fragrance. I wonder if the soil is the difference? I may move it to better soil next year. Where it is planted is a thin layer of black dirt and then red clay. Where I may move it to is 6-8" of really good black dirt.
Hal_
Whites Creek, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2008
9:37 PM

Post #5448482

P. 'Incense' smells like...hmm...incense! You definitely did not grow P. 'Incense' from seed.

The abundant wild maypops here are very fragrant, and the smell is strong in the the evening and in the morning, or at least it was before they were mowed with the hay. The smell is strong, but not really that pleasant. To me, they smell nothing like peanut butter. Maypops are highly variable, so the scent will likely vary as much as the appearance.
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #5449991

Maybe it is P. Incarnata then. I just wish it smelled better.

How hard are cuttings to do for Passifloras?
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

August 26, 2008
12:59 PM

Post #5469417

I have the native maypops here and I don't find them very pleasant either. The fruits have an odor that is almost indescribable and the flowers aren't real strong. Maybe the fragrance and flavor is affected by the growing conditions.

Some passiflora root very easily for me and others don't root well at all. I am always on the lookout for different methods and/ or new suggestions.
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #5469455

If I can get seed off of the plant by the vet clinic where I work, I will try this one. The one at the clinic has its feet in the shade and part of it grows in the sun but not much of it. It came up in a fence row and has to fight honeysuckle and trees for the light. It smells so good though.
Hal_
Whites Creek, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2008
9:09 PM

Post #5479811

Maypops are difficult to root from stem cuttings, but really easy to propagate from root cuttings. Just dig up a piece of root and plant it. You can also plant the seeds this fall, and you should get many seedlings next spring. The seeds from the ones here need a cold stratification in order to germinate, so I suspect the ones in MO will be similar. If you want to start them early indoors, you can place the seeds in moist peat or potting soil, and keep them in a refrigerator for a couple of months, then move to room temp.

I have also seen the smell of P. incarnata flowers described as "bacon-like".
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2008
3:26 AM

Post #5485688

The non-fragrant one is already putting up seedlings everywhere. I found the roots of one of the plants at the clinic so I may have to transplant it.
eleavell
Somerset, NJ

September 8, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5521995

Can anyone tell me what a ripe maypop fruit is supposed to look like?? This year the vines (which popped in early june in my zone 6) went nuts and now I have a lot of green rounded fruits about the size of a small apple, but I dont know what color they are when ripe ( and ARE they edible??) thanks, eleavell
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5524741

I think they are yellow when ripe.
plantbubba
Sour Lake, TX

September 9, 2008
11:13 PM

Post #5531131

they will turn a yellowish color and yes they are edible, but it is
mostly seeds covered in a thick gel. I love the flavor and just suck
the pulp (if you can call it that) from the seeds. If any one knows
a better way to get the juice I would love to know.
pb
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

September 9, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5531212

The fruits that grow here have such an odor that I don't think I could eat them. I remember my grandmother telling me that they would make jelly from them though.
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2008
3:24 AM

Post #5532248

I read somewhere that the environment has an impact on the plant. I live about 200 yards from I-44 so that may have something to do with the lack of fragrance. My fruit are only about small kiwi size this year.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2008
9:43 PM

Post #5622756

I have a solid white one that is either an edulis or incarnata cross that is solid white and free flowering all summer. It is self fertile also and currently has over 100 fruit. When it is in bloom, you can smell it as least 20 feet away and has a great perfumy smell. Not invasive either.
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 2, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5626876

We need to work out a trade for a cutting. This one seems to be invasive, I have sprouts coming up everywhere.
budgielover
Pinellas Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #5627011

This is the one I have and it has a mass trunk and probably root system also but has never sent up a shoot in the 3-4 yrs it's been in the ground. Vines get think and can reach 30 ft or more if not trimmed back but I have found that it nearly always puts out a large flush whenever it is severly trimmed back.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/902589/
dylancgc
Mount Vernon, MO
(Zone 6b)

October 3, 2008
1:37 PM

Post #5628716

I have several P. edulis flavicarpa and they seem to grow well. They have to come in for the winter here though.

The neighbor told me not to plant this one because I would never get rid of it, I believe it. The one that grows at the vet clinic where I work never gets invasive like this one I planted at home.

I'm pretty sure it is coming out in the spring.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America