Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Second try with Green Beans

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 14, Views: 153
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #5437969

I had a great harvest with the first batch of plants.. then they seemed to become plagued with spider mites and got old and yucky.. so I pulled them out and planted more.. This batch started out great.. but now it seems that every pest I can think of is attacking them!
Whiteflies, spider mites, caterpillars, and who knows what else...

What can I do if anything.. Just plant somewhere else next time? These plants are just starting to produce.. I wanted green beans to can!!!

Any advice?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 19, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #5438313

If you willing to use insecticides , no problem. Organic- Pyrethrin, traditional- Ortho Bug-B-Gone. There are others others but these are effective on most bean pests and widely distributed.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5438630

Thank you Farmerdill What about Neem with Pyrethrins? Will it affect the beans?
I have some "Fruit Tree Spray" from greenlight. I use it a lot on my flowers.. seems to be great stuff.. I just haven't wanted to spray ANYTHING on my veggies. :)
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

August 20, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5438748

Joyce, sorry about your beans. Looks like Neem can help!

http://homeharvest.com/insectspraysneembased.htm
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2008
12:32 AM

Post #5438801

The fruit tree sprays are not formulated for vegetables especially green beans. The fungicide they use is not effective on beans and the like. Malathion is not the best choice altho it works on some of the insects attacking beans.
ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2008
2:02 AM

Post #5439361

Well.. I'll have to get some bug b gone.. I will need it... Thank you!

Annapet, with the brugs I still have plenty of Neem! LOL
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5441810

I contacted Green Light, and they confirmed what I deduced from looking at the bottle -- Green Light Fruit Tree Spray contains a perfect mixture of Neem Oil and Pyrethrin equivalent to the Neem II Rose Spray in bottles, safe on vegetables, but of course only 5% of the cost of the pre-mixed bottles.

I have not actually tried battling spider mites since they come late in the season (late June) when things are already winding down, but I would have gotten a lot more cherry tomatoes if I'd battled them so I will try next year and report back.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2008 11:24 AM
Les_Cooper
Brazoria, TX

August 24, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5458874

Your problem, believe it or not, is not insects. Healthy plants are less susceptible to insect attack. The beans plants are mineral deficient in some manner and the insects detect that condition of weakness. They are like predators on the weak and sickly.

Check the soil conditions, light, drainage, ph, and beans need lime for calcium. A ph far off the mark will lock up minerals and prevent them from use even tho the minerals are in the soil.

Get the conditions right and the insect problem will subside greatly.

Les

Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

September 1, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #5492453

joyce, i just started some beans, and 2 have sprouted. you're not alone growing beans (this late). i hope it doesn't cool too fast weather-wise.

when do you transplant beans? i grow mine in containers.
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

September 1, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5492728

i'm growing winged-bean and will start hyacinth and edamame.

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ZZsBabiez
Lodi, CA
(Zone 9b)

September 2, 2008
2:49 PM

Post #5498207

I don't know Moonglow.. I started some from direct seed.. others from tiny transplants.. and some from grossly neglected seedlings.. They all took off just fine, till they get the appearance of spider mites.. sandpaper feeling leaves, tiny spots..

I have trimmed the sick looking leaves, removed the really bad plants.. and just sprayed with water and they are looking much better.

The Ph is neutral and the soil should be incredibly fertile, since I used homemade compost and steer manure.. Everything else has absolutely thrived! I'm going to use some kelp and see if they pick up..
Les_Cooper
Brazoria, TX

September 7, 2008
6:33 PM

Post #5520879

Howdy ZZs

I think the kelp will help as beans are quite susceptible to damping off and the kelp will provide some resiliance to the fungus. Don't think beans need to be kept too damp. Also beans don't need much fertility, since they create their own nitrogen, but need calcium to do it.

Les
Les_Cooper
Brazoria, TX

September 7, 2008
6:35 PM

Post #5520886

Howdy Moonglow,

If you have eaten those winged-beans before, i sure would like to know what you think of them for food.

Les
Moonglow
Corte Madera, CA

September 8, 2008
5:26 PM

Post #5524977

Les, they are the yummiest beans in my opinion, and I hope it's not just nostalgia. I grew up in the Philippines where winged-bean is a fairly common backyard veggie. The young leaves are edible, and even the roots.
Les_Cooper
Brazoria, TX

September 9, 2008
11:52 PM

Post #5531302

Howdy Moonglow,

I had heard everything on this plant was edible. Must be good if the common people keep it growing after generations.

Les

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America