Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing Tips: Thank You!

Communities > Forums > Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing Tips
bookmark
Forum: Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing TipsReplies: 9, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2008
2:27 PM

Post #5441219

We are planning to make a garden area this fall for planting next spring. I would like to try a small variety of watermelon, but thought they might be hard to grow. Now I need to find a good small variety!
angele

August 20, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5441980

Enjoyed this article! I've been eating a store bought watermelon a week this season. There are now 3 volunteer vines flowering in my yard. I hope we have a late winter :-)
ByndeweedBeth
scio, oregon, OR
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2008
7:38 PM

Post #5442644

The layout of this article was eye-catching. Very good job!
Indy
Alexandria, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5442820

Watermelon growing is my favorite crop...eating them too. A few minutes ago I just finished eating a 1/6th slab of a home grown Sweet Slice Plus [25 pound seedless]. It was quite good for a seedless.
Since I have been growing melons for years, disease pressure in the soil is the number one problem here. I still get some real nice ones though. Watermelons need the best soil to do well.
Why fiddle with a baby melon...go for the best!...Raspa, Sangria, SF420, Orangeglo, Royalty, or Sweet Slice plus.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2008
11:29 PM

Post #5443624

Thanks for all the feedback :)

Nanny_56, let us know what you end up growing. If you want really small, there is a Miniput early 3-4lb variety or Icebox varieties, like Sugar Babies, which are on the smaller side (6-10 lbs). Other early varieties have choices that range in 6-10 lb watermelons. Here is a link to some early varieties: http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/watermelon1.html
There are many sources for seed, but if you want to shop around, Twilley Seeds has the Miniput and Willhite Seed Inc. has alot too, like the Sugar Baby.

Indy, I would have interviewed you for this article had I known you were a watermelon grower here on DG! I'm glad you mentioned soil. I forgot to say anything about soil. I did notice that when I went to Farmer Ray Hlubik's farm, he had a sandy loam soil in his watermelon patch.

The University of Georgia Extension Service says watermelons thrive in fertile sandy loam soils that contain organic matter with a pH of 6.0-6.5.
Here is their link for more info:
http://www.uga.edu/vegetable/watermelon.html

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2008
12:12 AM

Post #5443882

Thanks for the info Wind...checking them out right now. I have heard of Sugar Baby...that might be a good size to try.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5444176

Outstanding article! I've grown a couple of them this year. The vines are vigorous! I was able to cut one and eat it last week and it was wonderful! Especially good knowing it came from my own garden, small though that garden is.

I love the style of your article. Jam up job!!!

Janet

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2008
2:00 AM

Post #5444567

your welcome Nanny, have fun picking out a cultivar best suited for your garden :)

and Thanks Janet :)))
... do you happen to know, what variety of watermelon you grew? I would love to know; plus, It might be helpful to other people in your area.
UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2008
9:31 AM

Post #5445570

I am pretty sure it is Jubilee.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2008
11:39 AM

Post #5445744

thanks!

Nanny_56, this morning I came across this link, to one of the DG threads, that was about small watermelons that may be helpful to you and others looking for smaller size watermelons: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/695655/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Watermelon, Citrullus lanatus ~ Nutrition & Growing Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Nice Article phicks 3 Aug 21, 2008 2:53 AM
Great Job! Aunt_A 3 Aug 22, 2008 4:25 AM
Watermelon Shrimp Salad critterologist 0 Aug 21, 2008 4:06 AM
Our family's 4th of July Feast Marigold42 1 Aug 27, 2008 12:22 AM
I always wondered... darius 5 Jun 15, 2009 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America