Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: Ixora question - does this off shoot survive?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 17, Views: 149
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 20, 2008
4:48 PM

Post #5441916

Many of you are aware of my shifting my garden to another place in the same premises. Today, I removed the Ixora off shoot that was growing near the base of the plant. I cut down carefully the mother root from where this new growth was removed. It has fresh and raw roots [seen here]. In fact, the mother plant was from the same method. I had brought in here from our other premises which we left 10 years ago. It has a lovely red flowers and I do not want to lose it. My only worry is its failure to adjust to the shock. Once it establishes, it will thrive. Have I done the right thing here? The plant is already >18" tall, almost 2' in fact.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

September 4, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5508650

Dinu, I'm not familiar with Ixora, so I don't know if your transplant method will work. I'm hoping it will, though, because you like it so much. Now that some time has passed, does it look as if the transplant is going to survive?

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2008
11:31 AM

Post #5510714

Expectedly, some leaves are yellowed, some are still green in the middle. I have also managed to uproot the mother plant and I hope it survives the shock. I now have to choose a proper spot for that. I only hope both will survive. Fingers crossed.

June_Ontario
Rosemont, ON
(Zone 4a)

September 5, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5511048

Is this a good time of year for you to be transplanting? I hear there are terrible floods in some places in the north of India, but what is the weather like in your area.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 5, 2008
2:04 PM

Post #5511245

Mysore is in between the two southern shores of the Indian peninsula, a good and safe distance away. No extremes of climates - but very salubrious. It is in the 'plains'. In my DG homepage, I've linked some information on our city by hyperlinking the word "Mysore" in the "write-up". Please do have a look at it [you may find it interesting] when you have the time.

Yes, it is luckily the rainy season and so transplanting at this time could be of benefit. Floods affect the coastal cities usually and where esp. the gigantic River Brahmaputra in the north overflows. It's an annual phenomenon. It's a huge river with great volume. Presently, the weather is pleasant, as usual, but we feel a bit warm [even at 30C] at times. Summers touch 38. Winters touch a max of 27-28.

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 16, 2008
11:32 PM

Post #5560690

Dinu, you might try to root some stem cuttings,just in case. I have a red Ixora that has been in a 12" clay pot for about 5 years. I did refresh the soil this spring. From what I read, they prefer acid soil. I just purchased a "yellow" one last week. It's not truely yellow, more of a gold color. I added a photo. Good luck!

Thumbnail by OCCAROL

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 17, 2008
4:07 AM

Post #5561869

Thanks OCCAROL. In the meantime, I've brought the entire mother plant itself and put it in soil in a bag till I decide where to plant. The off-shoot above looks in pretty good condition till today, despite its leaves drying up [naturally, from shock], except two larger leaves which has remained green. Further up and further down to these two, the leaves have dried. I hope this will survive to grow well. Also the mother plant - it is still in shock.

Your Ixoras are nice. I too have a yellow one. I plan to plant the pink, red and yellow together. How do you like the idea? Except the pink, the red and yellow tend to grow straighter.

BTW, what is that stone-like thing in the back there?

Dinu
OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 17, 2008
2:34 PM

Post #5563201

I didn't know there was a pink one! I'll have to start looking for that. The stone -like thing in the background is actually a resin fountain/ bird bath.
The pink, red, and yellow together sounds good to me.

Carol

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

December 21, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5914725

I return to this thread with some happy news. Those two larger leaves which I mentioned above are still in tact, looking healthy. But today, much to my delight, I saw two tiny light green new leaves propping up above those two leaves. Will post a pic soon.

Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

December 22, 2008
7:18 AM

Post #5917717

Here is the picture.

Thumbnail by Dinu

JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6000371

Wonderful news!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 13, 2009
4:05 PM

Post #6000525

Oh yes, JuneyBug. In the meantime, I've removed it from its temporary bag of soil and planted it near the entrance gate. See circled spot in this picture. I hope to see this grow nicely and give joy to hundreds of eyes with its lovely red blooms, like its parent plant did before. Those two leaves are growing - now they are slightly larger. It's the dormant season now.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6053258

There are four leaves now.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6053662

How wonderful to hear this. It is below freezing weather here now and we are getting ready for a storm. To know that there is an ixora growing from an heirloom plant in the warmth of India is a nice thought.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 27, 2009
5:41 AM

Post #6056471

Yes indeed, we are moving towards the beginning of summer and winter is slowly giving way. I'll soon post a new pic of the 4 leaves. And the second pair has grown quite fast!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 25, 2010
11:17 AM

Post #8120411

Many months later, now I'm happy to show this picture if this showing very good signs of becoming a lovely plant as good as its mother. It has now been showing its first set of blooms.

Thumbnail by Dinu

OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 25, 2010
3:22 PM

Post #8120734

Oh Dinu! That's great! I'm so happy it survived, and is flourshing!

Carol
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #8120837

^_^ !

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America